What do you think of Rod Marinelli?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Jan 20, 2006.

?

Your take on the new Lions coach, Rod Marinelli

1. The future is bright with Rod

6.7%
  2. Undecided, wait and see

53.3%
  3. This guy sounds like Bobby Ross, we're screwed

6.7%
  4. It's the Lions, who cares! FIRE MILLEN!

33.3%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So the Lions have their coach for at least the next two seasons (unless he crashes and burns horribly).

Rod Marinelli.

Some sportswriters are high on him (Wojo, Albom), and others not so much, (Parker, Rosenberg).

We don't know a lot about this man, but from his press introduction, we got a look into the man, the myth the... AWWWW screw it. I'll use a quote from Simeon Rice.

Here are links to some audio files from the presser. I have the whole thing, but uploads are broken since the server move and I can't post it in it's entirety.

Talent is not the issue...

On the trenches...

Why does he think he can succeed....

• "Who am I? I have a background of building."
    • "I understand how to build."
    • "I'm a very good communicator."
    • "I understand men."
    • "We have talent. Talent is not going to be the issue in this league all the time. It's the talent that plays good."
    • "I've got confidence. I don't need anyone to instill that confidence in me."
    • "I believe in morale. It may be the No. 1 issue in this league."
    • "I believe in the development of skill."
    • "You have to be hard, but you have to be smart."
    • "I want a team that's going to be in great physical condition."
    • "I know how to teach. The team will play one snap at a time all the way through a game and compete."

So what do you think?

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like what I hear so far. He sounds firm but fair. He's about execution, discipline, leadership and accountability. Everything this team lacks.

3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I really like what he has had to say.I hope he instills this team with his focus.Hope/Lions, there goes that word again every year every offseason.

Will this one be different?Why should we keep hoping it will?I hate being a homer sometimes.

4. jammertime

I agree Big Daddy. I liked what he had to say, but Lions fans more than any other know that talk is cheap and every off season brings new hope and every single season we get stabbed in the heart.

My new motto is I'll believe it when I see it. I won't be getting overly excited no matter who this team brings in.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:amen:

6. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Things just aren't adding up for me. This guy has not had any serious ambitions to be a head coach on any level before and now we are suppose to put our faith in him to turn us around. Especially when we had a coach available that had taken two different teams to the Super Bowl. I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy but right now I am very skeptical. All I can say is he better surround himself with some highly qualified people, especially an offensive coordinator. In almost any profession, it takes several years to become highly qualified. Choosing a head coach to fly this craft when he has never done a solo flight does not strike me as too wise of a decision. Of course. I hope I am wrong.

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

YAWN!! We still got the same owner don't we. Expect more of the same.

8. jammertime

The Bucs have a policy of not allowing coaches under contract to interview with other teams. His contract expired after this season, so he didn't need their permission this time around.

Several other teams had asked for permission to interview him over the past few years but had all been denied. I'm not sure if any were for Head Coaching positions, I know Seattle wanted him for D co-ordinator.

Everyone has to start somewhere and the coaches that were available with head coaching experience didn't really blow me away.

Heck, we've waited this long for a winner. Whats a few more years! :laugh:

9. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Hmmm... Matt Millen hires another head coach whose last name just happens to begin with the letter 'M.' Yep, it sure sounds like a same ol'-same ol' situation to me.

I swear, I just don't think he'll ever get it right. The same as each and every person before him. But, as they say, time will tell. I'm just not holding my breath this time. :redface:

I agree with Hatter. Call me when a change of ownership takes place. Then and only then will I have any faith in this organization being anything more than a bottom feeder.

What is it with Millen only hiring coaches that just happen to have last names that start with the letter M? Is it a psychological thing? Or is he just fixated on that particular letter? Of course I'm sure (at least seriously hoping) that it's just a matter of coincidence that his first and last name both start with that dubious letter.

But, It sure has me wondering what his middle name is. Or, more importantly, what letter it starts with. :confused:

10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

i will get scared when we start drafting players whose last name start with m

this season i am not setting the bar as high as i did this year my early predictions (depending on who we draft) is a meager 8-8

what kind of offense is this guy gonna run a w.c.o. or something new?

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With the talent he inherits he needs to go 8 and 8 his first year. He, they need to address the corners and LBs in the off season. Garcia must go. He got a fair shot. All I need is 2 or 3 games to see if this guy can out scheme proven Head Coaches. If not I'll start calling for his Head!

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Zoo69, I thought BossRoss had us going in the right direction. Why did he punk out and quit? I kind of thought is was because ownership didn't like his offense.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

LMAO. Good call.

It sounds more like a pro-style offense. I'd imagine all of the talk about 3 wides will be gone. Personally, I'm hoping for some two tight end sets, more power formations. Grind and smash.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but man oh man would it be nice to see the Lions play classic black and blue division football.

14. Buckeyes#1

I think I will predict 0-16 next year. I have overestimated my prediction for the last 40 years and for once in my life I would like to underestimate the Lions, if thats possible.:frusty:

15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

After hearing so many speeches and press conferences, I'm on the fence until we see some hitting.

The one positive is that Millen may have finally blundered upon something Joe Dumars knew from Day One: Build in the image of your market. When the Lions were great in the 1950s, they had a hell-raising team of punishing defenders and intimidators with an offense that played aggressively. If that sounds curiously like the Bad Boys, then you can understand why Detroit loved the Lions of Layne and Schmidt ... and why Millen has bombed in Motown with a fussy dink offense and an ultra-passive defensive scheme.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Shame on you. The season hasn't even started and you have already abandoned all hope.

No way they win less than 3 games and if EVERYTHING goes well, they could even win 6 games!! :twitch:

It's crazy. Everyone around me is either a Denver or Seattle fan. (Like Detroit, Idaho doesn't have a pro football team). People are so excited about tomorrow. Lions fans have been cheated for too long. Why oh Why don't I change alliances?? :tinfoil3:

17. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Ditto. We need an ownership that is committed to excellence. This one demonstrated a long time ago that they are not.

18. Buckeyes#1

Actually Darth, I'm not without hope. I just try to use humor to deal with pain and suffering. I have found humor helps me cope. Realistically, I can see at least a 8-8 season coming. We were 7-9 this year. I don't count those two games we were robbed this year.

19. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

He wasn't allowed to interview for any position but Head Coach, because he was an Assistant Coach in Tampa. That's how it worked. A lot of teams wanted him for D-Coordinator, but they would only let him interview for a promotion.