What Happened To Sheed?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

To be honest and this might be to deep for some but, most of the guys in the the league are well paid slaves and just like slaves they had things that they owned but nothing that came with power to change anything. And IMO the worst analogy I've ever heard was comparing s_x to Birds and Bees (intermingling of species). [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign]
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

IMO, thats not deep, just dumb.

Unless you're the boss in any job you're powerless to change anything. The difference is, these guys make more money in one season than most of us will in a lifetime.

If they don't like it, they're free to go. Sheed can walk away from the game anytime he likes and never have to work another day in his life. If thats slavery, sign me up.
  3. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

What's funny is there were once a group of people that wanted to be signed up to because of a so called good deal during slavery..... You know what they were called ... One clue- House _ _ _ _ _ _ 2nd just as obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated(P.R.) Dumb is just a word the mediocre use to describe the intellectual(Aristotle) Oh! Yeah! By the way... [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign] [sign]I SAID![/sign] [sign]WELCOME[/sign] [sign]TO[/sign] [sign] DETROIT[/sign] [sign]CITY[/sign]
  4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Thank you. I do indeed feel welcome.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

kay, can't resist.

i'm a figurative language guy, i dig that sheed didn't mean they were literally slaves. It was a simile (a comparison using "like" or "as"; like cheeks like apples) and a tentative one: he said "kind of". So I think there's a little bit of overreaction here.

but, on the other hand, i think the ultimate test of any metaphor is not whether they are true or not (cause obviously none of them are: nobody's cheeks are really apples), but the kind of work they do, the effect, the results...

he's obviously trying to underline the asymmetrical power relationships between players and the commish, which I'm cool with. the problem is that his metaphor (an excellent one, obviously, to evoke such power relationships; you might even say a classic) mixes in other elements (like being unpaid) that clash too glaringly with his own situation. and so his results are likely to be uneven.

for most people, who also feel, like sheed, taht they have little autonomy in their jobs, it's gonna be hard to feel solidarity with another guy who has little autonomy in his job, but gets paid millions of dollars a year to deal with it. nnot impossible, just a little hard.

i remember after the Palace brawl, and al harrington was saying somethingn liek: "it's our job. you try having someone come and %%%%% at you over your shoulder all day on the job and then try sitting still for it when they dump a beer on you." and i wanted to say, hmmm, okay, i'll try it... hello? for even a million a year i would take a job in which nothing happened all day long but someone %%%%%ing at me and throwing the occasional beer on my head. :stirthepot:
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That's true but not applicable here.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm going to second Jammertime's opinion on this one. Saying NBA players are well-paid slaves is simply dumb.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You guys take things too literally. People overexaggerate all the time so a point can be made and maybe it can be fixed to help him or her. If Sheed says "It's like giving a technical to a person getting millions of dollars." What's that going to do? You all know what I'm talking about. Everyday all of us will twist a story to favor us. Sheed is doing the exact same thing.