What Happens if Pistons Don`t win Title?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

First let me say I believe that the Pistons will win it all. I am not a bandwagon jumper, or fair weather fan.

Just for the sake of discussion what would happen if Detroit does not win it all, for any reason except injury of course.

I would say you would have to give Flip at least 1 more year, which seems to be Dumars custom to give his coach at least 2 years.

However, some changes would have to be made with player personnel. Cato and Dale Davis will probably be gone, and what will happen with Evans and Delfino?

Will there be a major trade or free agent pick up? Whatever happens Joe D is smart enough to keep this team competitive for a championship for years to come.

2. max

max All-Star

Depends on how far we get and what the circumstances are. Another game 7 loss and I think you have to give the starting 5 another chance and try to improve the bench. Not getting to the Finals or losing by a wide margine due to injury and you just have to suck it up and hope the sports gods are more kind next season.

On the other hand? I would expect a trade or 2 and Flip investigated but ultimately at least be given another season. Its going to be very hard to fire him with not giving him at least 2 full seasons otherwise our environment given the Carlisle/LB firings will be considered too hostile to land any decent coach. But you never know.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with Merc. It all depends on the details.

No matter what the outcome, this team should be in good shape for several more years to compete for a title. As long as Joe D doesn't go Pat Riley on us and blow up the roster.

4. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Ship = mo gone, acker gone, LH or DELK gone (gotta pick one), cato gone, DD likely gone.
    Finals loss = bench shuffles, a star signed on as SF/SG, maybe an allstar vet that wants to hitch a ride to a ring.
    ECF loss = same, maybe dice gone
    Anything else = At least 1 starter traded, Flip possibly gone. Dumars needs to start holding on to his coaches or they will never want to come here.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That was Max's comments (honest mistake)... I also agree that there are conditions to how much player movement happens... too big of a change could set the franchise back several years... that's a mistake most perenial losers make.... there's still room to improve within... with youth development and adding new wrinkles.

That said I don't think Joe can be very happy with the backup 5 or SG/SF situation.

We have some nice assets to as bargaining chips without blowing anything up:

D.D.'s expiring deal
    Young players not yet reaching potential
    Our pick or Orlando's
    MLE
    Evans (based on stats)

A combination of these assets should be able to adequately address any deficiencies with our reserves....
    Our starters should remain one of the best units for at least two more years.

6. jammertime

DOH! Thats what I get for not quoting the actual post. Sorry fellas.

:frusty:

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is a good question if the Pistons don't win the title, but it will an even bigger question if they don't even get to the title game. :doh:

No worries really for the first round as we won't lose to the Bucs even if they stretch it out to six games. But what if a hot Labron or the threesome in DC take us out in a shocker. Or the overachieving Pacers finally figure out a way to get four victories in the EC championship
    series?

Do you blame Rips injury, the Pistons arrogance, or Flips coaching??

Sounds preposteroius, but who would have thought that either the Lakers or Clippers will now be in the Western Conference finals and the Bulls and Kings would be able to win two games and were in a position to steal a victory in game 2 of their respective series in Miami and San Antonio.

Like somebody said, if the Lakers can beat the Suns with scrubs like Smush, Luke, Kwame etc, then Delfino should be able to get in and contribute more than just garbage time heroics. In other words, try him out and if he fails then maybe you bring in Rip to save the victory if it is close.

The Pistons do not need to let this 1st round series go more than 5 games. That means a win tomorrow and Wednesday and then they may not have to play again until next Monday if the Wiz and Cavs go seven. Plenty of time to get Rips ankle back to 100%

8. Dlev59

Dre even the thought of this makes me sick. I would more than likely have to relocate, or maybe commit a heinous crime because of harrasment and be profiled on AMW!

Any scenario other than the above would suffice......

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If we don't win the championship one of the starters will be traded, guaranteed.

The bench will be totally retooled, I think Dice, Baby Ben and AJ will stay, everyone else is on the hot seat.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Why would you think acker would be gone if we win it all? I think Joe D. is going to keep the 3 rookies.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe will probably make changes, not necessarily in the offseason. It's not easy to move big contracts and everyone in the starting 5 has a big contract next year.

If we lose in the playoffs this year, it's not going to be because of Mo Evans, Carlos Delfino or Dale Davis. Making changes to the end of the bench would be pointless.

12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

FLIP gone, GUARANSHEED!!!

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If we don't win, Flip will not be allowed to ignore "suggestions" from the front office next year. If Joe wants Delfino, Acker, JMax, Johnson, or anyone else to get more PT, then Flip will have no choice.

If we win, Flip will continue to play and coach as he wishes, even if Joe disagrees.

If we lose, Evans is definately gone, Delk gone, and a possible trade involving Sheed or Ben.

If we win, Delfino is gone, Delk stays, Ben may or may not resign. Joe signs a bunch of aging free agents as backups.

Win or lose, Cato, LH, and Davis gone. All rooks and Flip back.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

if we don't win the championship i will cry

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Straight and to the point, Bruddah hogg! Since the Wings put me in intensive care, I'll probably turn to some serious addiction. Anybody know where I can get some good heroin? ....
    Or maybe I'll become such a drunk that I would only date women I can see with my beer goggles....

........or maybe I'll be so mad that I'll blow the head off the Spirit odf Detroit...

......I'll probably just cry a lot, too..

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I will be glad that I live in Las Vegas because Flip willl be safe. (Especially since he'll be probably sending Sydney Lowe to run the VSL)

17. Dlev59

I never really thought that this thread would be sort of, well, prophetic. It`s not over yet but as we all know it doesn`t look good. To be honest I don`t see us winning game 6 in Cleveland, and even if we get the W in Cleveland, game 7 is not a, guarantee.

Flip will certainly return next year, however a starter or two may be dealt. They may want to leave after the harsh criticism that will come their way at seasons end.

I don`t know who or what will be done, however, changes must be made.

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I don't see how you can possible get rid of players and not Flip. He was given a chance to prove he could succeed in the post season with a PROVEN roster and he has failed miserably. He doesn't get anymore chances. He is obviously a much bigger problem than the players (who are PROVEN).

19. jammertime

What happens if Pistons don't get past the second round?

Which of us thought that would even be a remote possibility 3 games ago?

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe is no one's fool. He knows who is and is not doing a good job.