What if Ben Gordon says "no"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

I was doing some thinking on how good we'll be with Ben Gordon, Carlos Boozer, and whoever Rip gets traded for (probably a starting center) along with Tay, Stuck and the zoo crew, and then it hit me what if Ben Gordon RESIGNS with the Bulls. It is a possibility. He hasn't said anything about coming to the Pistons like Boozer did. It would force us to sign Turkoglu and then trade Tayshaun who has been the best Piston for the last few years. Then we'll have Stuck, Rip, Hedo, Boozer, and ????. Even though it looks good on paper, but Hedo isn't half the player Tay was on defense and he ends up taking bad shots on the offensive end. Which led me to the assumption that the future of our franchise depends on Ben Gordon's answer. Maybe Im just thinking too much but July is going to be an interesting month.
  2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Irf he says no, then I will be happy with that. i would only pick him up to sign and trade him with Tyson Chandler.
  3. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

What about Rip for Chandler?
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Wilson Chandler? Absolutely.
  5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Rip is not going to be traded. That extention Rip was given pretty much seals the fate of that possiblity. No one is going to want to be on the hook for that type of money for a guy that may be on the decline and he is not a star.
  6. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

"The Grizzlies had agreed in principle to acquire power forward Zach Randolph on Thursday night but Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling later nixed the trade, according to two NBA sources."

The Clippers could have traded Zach Randolph…and didn’t?
  7. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

dont think Gordon will resign with the Bulls because I dont believe they have the cash he is looking for...he could go elsewhere but I feel we are a front runner for him.
  8. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

on the decline?

dude has game and hits his free throws in the clutch, wears down defenders and play D. He's taller than most SG's and has worked at expanding his range. Aside from that, he's only one of the most accurate mid range shooters in the league! and although he does not have mad handle, he does manage to create enough scoring opportunities for himself considering he is not that kind of player. RIP is not the problem on this team!
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Unfortunately, I fear that you are right.
  10. theheroes

theheroes Second Round Draft Pick

Money talks=Ben Gordon walks. Chicago pays Kirk 34 mill, Dang gets 60 million.

=Ben Gordon is a Detroit Piston. If I'm Joe I go hard after Ben on the 1st day.

Then I would call PHX and see what Kerr is talking about for Stoudemire.

Channing Frye agent would also get a call from me If I was the GM.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Per 36 minutes

Player: Ben/ Rip
    FTA's: 4.6/ 4.2
    Rebnd: 3.4/ 3.3
    Assist: 3.3/ 4.7
    Steals: 0.9/ 0.6
    Turns: 2.4/ 2.1

This is not a huge upgrade, even when you look at offense alone. Gordon is more efficient with an eFG of .521 to Rip's .480 for 2008. However, in past seasons, Ben has been as low as .470 and Rip has been up at .515 (in his last year with Billups). They both score about the same, they get to the line at a similar rate, and they even shoot free throws at a similar percentage. Ben is .859 lifetime to Rip's .853. They rebound the same. Rip is a more willing passer while Ben is a little more apt to steal a ball and is a little more turnover prone.

When you look at defensive ability and length (for guarding on switches), I have to conclude that Rip is a better all-around player by a hair. I think both of these guys are really good, pseudo all-star fringe players.

Ben would be a new flavor, but I can't get too excited about it because at best, it would only give us a slight upgrade at our strongest position.

However, if there are no big men that we want to pick up in free agency and we have to involve Rip in a trade in order to get a premier big man from another team, then I don't mind picking up Gordon to fill Rip's void. He is young, exciting, and seems to be getting better still.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Gordon is also a lot younger than Hamilton and thus a lot more likely to keep up his current production, if not improve it. Hamilton is in the decline stage of his career. They're both one dimensional players, but Gordon offers you more range and explosiveness. Hamilton is a better defender because of his length, but would you necessarily call it a 'strength' of his?

I'd take Gordon, but only if were were able to also unload Rip's contract somewhere else.
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Excellent comparison of both shooting guards. They each have strong points and weak points.

As you've mentioned, Gordon is 4 years younger, which makes him more appealing to me. Being only three years older than Stuckey means that they can still be a backcourt when Stuckey is 29, whereas Hamilton will likely be retired by then.
  14. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

Lets not forget signing Gordon would allow us to trade Rip and whatever else to get a good front court player which we really need.
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What if Ben Gordan says "no"?

Breathe a sigh of relief?
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm not too enthused with the idea of clinging to players like grim death until they age in conjunction with an ever swelling contract, and their value to other teams dwindles down to nothing.

That may just be me though.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I guess we should get players that the head coach is willing to talk to.
  18. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Agreed, besides Stuck, Rip is the only player I'd like to keep. He deserves to retire in Det, however if the deal is right and other teams are interested, then we should pull the trigger.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like Rip.

I HATE the offensive scheme that comes with him though.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That is the coaches though, not Rip.