1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

What if Ben Gordon says "no"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jun 28, 2009.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

[​IMG]

"I think that boy with the mask would be a mighty fine player if we ran the ole' picket fence at 'em"

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Excuse me, but who has Tay been able to defend this year? That statement would hold true 4 years ago but not now.

I'd rather have Hedo taking bad shots, then Tay palming the ball until the shot clock runs out. Tay has taken more bad shots than Hedo did this year.

I love Prince as a player, and I think he's capable of making a solid comeback, but this season Hedo has outplayed him.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree Cloud. Youth is the only thing Gordon has over Rip imo.

PS: TaS, great comparison, it really puts things in perspective.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How about Gordon being able to create his own offense without needing the system to set him up? And how about actually hitting clutch shots with the game on the line?

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sortable NBA Player Clutch stats

Per 48 minutes in "clutch" situations:

Rip scores 36.6 points on .427 shooting and gets set up by teammates 48% of the time.
    Gordon scores 36.3 points on .460 shooting and gets set up by teammates 47% of the time.

In the entire league, they are #14 and #15 in this category.

6. mikhail1973

Tay, you know that stats don't give the full picture. Did you see Gordon in the Boston series? Would you expect Rip to be able to do something like that? And while stats do hold significant say, look at Hollinger's art of stats. Talking about some crazy results... I am not saying that Gordon is a better player. But he does bring another dimension.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just think it is possible that you are forgetting some of Rip's clutch shots (because he's so familiar to you) and over weighting Gordon's hot streak against 1 opponent in the playoffs (because they were so exciting).

Rip has developed into the Pistons best clutch player over the past 2 years. He's hit plenty of fully contested jump shots to win or tie.

Also, look at Rip's rebounding and assists in those situations. It dwarfs Ben Gordon's. And Rip got to the line a lot more, which is almost always evidence of him creating vs. just getting 3 screens and a pass.

Those games against Boston were some of the best games in recent memory... but it was only 1 series, and the Bulls ended up losing against the KG-less Celtics.

Ben Gordon isn't always that cash. Over the course of the year, when you take everything into account, he was about the same as Rip.

One thing I will admit though, is that Ben Gordon is a MUCH better 3-point shooter under pressure. At the end of games, 3-pointers can be critically important, and it is nice to have guys who are at least a threat from downtown.

8. mikhail1973

You may be correct on this. I haven't watched Gordon this year beyond the parts of the playoffs. And I guess we are used to Rip being pretty much automatic on his jumper. And the last season wasn't his best anyway.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Btw, I'm not sure there is a player in the league who has as big a difference between shooting open 3's and contested 3's as Rip.... well maybe Tay.

And then there are guys like Kobe and Ben Gordon who seem to actually shoot better with a hand in their faces. It's like it helps them put arc on the ball.