1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

What is Pistons DNA?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by professor, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

:laugh::pound::eek::bounce::roll::rofl:

Seriously?

Darko has Portland Trailblazer DNA.

Darko: "What??! EARN playing time?? You better recognize %%%%%es...cause I'm G.O.O.D. ... Play behind Ben Wallace, Memo, Sheed, McDyess??? What am I....err...what are you smokin?"

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons DNA

To me it's all about what you do on the court. If you dog it on the court you don't have Pistons DNA. Punch your teammate in the head during practice etc I don't care.

Best Pistons DNA

Joe Dumars
    Dennis Rodman
    Ben Wallace
    Vinnie Johnson
    Isiah Thomas
    Bill Laimbeer
    Tayshaun Prince
    Jon Barry
    Don Reid
    Rick Mahorn

On the other end of the spectrum I put the guys who dogged it on the court the most inexcusable Piston DNA violation.

The poster boy for bad Piston DNA is Darko Milicic. The DNA he had was a Dismal Negative Attitude. Others that lacked the Piston DNA...

Sean Elliott
    Stacy Augmon
    Bison Dele
    Rodney White (#2 poster boy)
    Juan Sanchez
    Bob Sura
    Zeljko Rebraca
    Jud Buechler
    Cedric Ceballos
    Aaron McKie
    Fennis Dembo
    Darryl Dawkins
    Orlando Woolridge
    William Bedford

3. max

max All-Star

The Iron is still a bit too hot to be talking about Ben's historical place with the Pistons.

Part of good DNA is being a good teammate both on and off the court. I had heard that Cliff had been a good influence and thats the 1st I heard of him not being good. He does have that drug issue which is why we got him so cheap in the 1st place. I can't recall who we traded for him but it was not much.

This thread is difficult to work in the old with the new. On Rodman I would say that he was not good DNA. He was a distraction in SanAntonio but later did well with the Bulls due to playing with a powerfull team leader like MJ.

Dumars only talks about DNA and Bringing it every night when he does not have anything better to say about a new player. When we got Ben he was signed for his rebounding and shot blocking.

4. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Before Rodman shifted his focus away from defense and toward running up his rebounding stats (18+ boards his last two seasons in Detroit) he was an outstanding one-on-one defender who would do anything to help the team. That often meant lunging headfirst into the crowd, and when he did it he wasn't just being reckless because he usually saved the possession. The Bad Boys were incredibly focused in the playoffs, and I would have to say that Isiah, Laimbeer, and Rodman seemed the most intense of all. It's nice to have guys who get along with others and are well behaved and all that, but when Rodman was able to keep his psychological problems basically under control he was completely driven to win. I think he couldn't handle the Bad Boys falling apart, and he did well in Chicago because he was able to play an major role on a winning team again.

5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

thanks for the clarifications. it's an interesting metaphor...but i'm about to head out to cannon beach oregon for five days of no thinking, so...uh, i'm not going to think about it more right now.

however, it's interesting to me that, unless i missed something, sheed isn't on anyone's list, either as having it, or not having it, or maybe/maybe not having it.

actually, now that i think about it, neither are c-bill, or rip.

is the jury still out? or did people just not think of them when the question was raised?

6. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Professor, I almost listed Sheed but he takes too many nights off. Sheed can have the DNA if he wants to. I guess that proves he doesn't have it. I'd rank Rip higher than Billups but I still think he falls short. DNA is something you are born with. Rip wasn't a natural defender so I didn't include him. I do commend him for learning the trade though. He has come so far as a Piston.

7. max

max All-Star

I respect what the bboys did but it would be nice to have one thread where we did not have to make every theory work for them as well.

If you guys can recall exactly what happened 16-20 years ago, I can't - at least not all the details. It was very un-DNA like how they walked off in 91 without shaking hands.

8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

You guys are harsh.

William "will he come today" Bedford had a serious substance abuse problem.

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is a great topic for conversation!

I still think JYD is a Pistons DNA type player. Sure he show boated, but IMO, that was part of his job. He was an energy guy. His job was to dive for loose balls and grab boards with authority. His job was also to pump up his teammates and the fans.

What better way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone than to dive for loose balls and grab boards with a little theatrics added in?

Ben is the definition of Pistons DNA. Was he perfect? Of course not. There were times when he made mistakes (refusing to re-enter the game, complaining in the media, etc.). But for me, the pros FAR outweigh the cons.

I'd say Sheed doesn't fall into either category. Neither does CB.

Rip is boarderline DNA. Actually, I'd probably put him on that list, but near the bottom. Dude is always moving. Constant effort and energy. But because his game is much more jump shot oriented, it makes it a tougher call. He is willing to drive and create contact, its just a much smaller part of his game.

Tay is for sure on that list as well.

10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It occurs to me that one owner of Piston DNA would be Rip Hamilton. He improves every year, comes to play (and with a mask, yet), throws his body around seemingly without fear, keeps moving like the Energizer Bunny. What else could possibly be more illustrative of Piston DNA?

Yessir!!! :fingerscr

Grant Hill certainly had Piston DNA. He lead the team in several categories every year and did whatever it took to win. He was the team leader and all the teammates looked to him for tht leadership. I don't know what else he could have done. I think he finally gave up when it looked like they were not going to build a team that had a chance of winning. I think people who work as hard as he did decide to go someplace else when it does not look like things are going to improve no matter what.

And yes, Darko had Piston DNA. And he still has. People never doubted his work ethic until he was about gone, at least the team members did not; just forum members, who really don't know that much. He was as unselfish as they come, helping his teammates to his own detriment.

He did all he could to earn his way but it was not going to come, so he did what anyone with Piston DNA would do. He stopped knocking his head against the wall and went someplace he will have the chance to work, not collect the rewards others earn for him.

Seems to me that is Piston DNA!!

I noticed that Sheed does not hqve Piston DNA. At least, noone here is saying that he does. And I don't believe he does, either.

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree almost completely with Basketbills list. Except:

I would put Rip on the list of Pistons DNA.

I would Take Z. Rebracca off the list of no DNA. I think he played pretty hard, and he did have a heart problem. Heart problems are serious. I'll give him a pass.

I would replace him with Christian Laettner. I think that guy sucked.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We shouldn't confuse pistons DNA with any stamp of greatness or even class. Its about blending in with the culture of Joe D's Pistons. Its tied to the bad boys because of that.

13. max

max All-Star

Yes but its so different now. Its almost like comparing apples to oranges. The old Pistons were not a sluggish half court team that had to outwork their opponents like we saw earlier in this decade. They were very talented.

They could score a lot of points. Offense was never a problem. There was a superstar. Isiah was a superstar capable of scoring 40 or 50 points and taking over 4th quarters just like Wade and Lebran can. They had the all-time best 3-guard rotation in the history of the NBA. Dantly and later Aguire could score. And their front court was very tall. Not like our recent 3-PF rotation. It was a very big frontcourt. They did not have to outwork and out-jump the opponents.

Dumars was the good guy out of all that. Probably the only guy without ill-feelings from other players, well except perhaps from Jordan. Jordan rules was tough hard nosed D. Smash the guy to the ground before he could get to the hoop.

Dumars building the team in his own image would be great but that was not the heart of the bboys.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Man, some of you guys need to quit cutting biology class. :)

DNA is the chemical combination or recipe that makes you who you are. It doesn't change, you can't lose it, but you can pass it on to others. So what we're saying is that you're a Piston in your blood, in your hair, in your skin and your toenails. These traits mark you as a member of a distinct family. You might have them all, or just more than is common.

Mapping the Pistons gene:

UNGLAMOROUS. If you fit better in a big market where you can make movies, do walk-through cameos on TV shows and be seen with celebrity girlfriends, you're probably not a Piston. Pistons play in Detroit or Fort Wayne, Indiana, and they are just fine with that.

BLUE COLLAR. Are you a working stiff, a guy who gets his hands dirty and does the job while people around you are BS'ing their way through life with management buzzwords? Perhaps no Detroit player ever came from a more privileged family than Bill Laimbeer, but factory workers counted him as a brother for how he played. It's a common touch that people somehow recognize. Grant Hill didn't have it, even though he was an unfailingly good human being.

RUGGED. You play hurt, you play tired, you play hard. Nobody pushes you around, even if you're skinny like Dave Bing or dazzlingly slick like Isiah. In a world where pain can come on any play, overcoming it is more important to you than avoiding it.

TOUGH MINDED. Maybe you're smart, maybe you're not. But you are a stubborn, aggressive SOB who wants to win and keeps at it without worrying about what other people think or how much you're liked. Pressure doesn't bother you, because you put pressure on yourself. Fear? That's the other guy's problem.

YOU PISS DAVID STERN OFF. Some East Coast lawyer wants to run the league like a movie studio, giving star billing to pretty boys who sell tickets. But nobody's handed anything in your world, so you keep getting in the way like Bruce Willis in "Die Hard," the fly in the ointment and the pain in the ass. The more he does to stop you, the more you enjoy elbowing your way into first place and uglying up his neighborhood. Ah, life is good.

Maybe you could name hustle or playing defense or leadership or coolness under pressure, but great teams of every style must ultimately show those. The ones I've listed feel distinctively "Pistons" to me. Some resulting verdicts, just for argument's sake:

Ben yes, Grant no
    Stack yes, Chauncey no
    Sheed yes, Darko no
    Rip yes, Delfino no
    Carlisle yes, Brown no

All Time: DeBusschere, Bing, Thomas, Laimbeer, Wallace

15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

This post by LanierFan, to me, is the definitive post in this thread. Especially after watching some of the Bad Boy Era video. If you haven't seen the Bill Laimbeer video that Roscoe posted just after our season came to an end, watch it. That short video embodies everything LanierFan just identified. Thanks for the biology lesson there, LanierFan.

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree. Send this to Joe Dumar's office and make this must read material for every new Piston adorned by our uniform.

Great work Lanierfan. :thumb:

17. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I've got to disagree on Sheed. He takes way too many plays off. Sometimes it seems he takes a couple of games off at a time.

I think Lindsey has got it, in a big way.
    Tayshaun has got it.
    Rip has got it.
    Sheed doesn't have it.
    Ben had it.
    I don't think Chauncey has it.
    Mateen may have it, but he sucks.
    Laimbeer has all of it.
    Dumars had it as a player, but his double speak makes me think he left it on the court.
    Flip doesn't have it.
    Zeke had it.
    Vinny Johnson had it.
    I don't think Stack has it, too much superstar mentality early in his career.
    Mahorn was it.
    James Edwards had it.
    I think Grant Hill has it, can't blame him for the media hype.

I didn't get much sleep, so I can't think real clearly.

18. jammertime

There's a great vid posted over at need4sheed.com showing the transition from the old school Pistons to the current roster. It includes some candid words from Joe D. as well. A great vid on this very topic.

After watching it, I felt much better about the state of the organization. Although the loss of Big Ben has been really hard to take, I still trust Joe D. and what he's trying to do.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Piston DNA has been explained by Joe D before... he's the owner of the term.
    I think it goes something like this:
    Unselfish... humble... always works hard... menatlly and physically tough...good defender.
    It seems as if Joe has softened his stance on Piston DNA by acquiring Flip Jr. (and Sr for that matter).
    You might say that Tayshaun is kind of soft but he passes every other DNA test.
    Each player has different degrees of "the ingredient"

20. jammertime

I wouldn't call Tay soft at all. He's played major minutes since becoming a starter, usually gets matched up against the other team's best player, finished strong and hasn't missed a game.