What is Tayshaun's going rate?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Sep 7, 2005.

?

Is Tayshaun Prince worthy of a 5 year $45-50 million dollar contract?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Not sure

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

No brainer.

Tay is worth every dime.

Some may argue that he was the best defender last year on the Pistons during the regular season...which is an accomplishment in itself. On teams that do not really practice a team-oriented defensive, offensive strategy Tay could easily be a featured player. If the Pistons don't anty up on this one, this could bite them in the butt for years to come. Dumars knows this. Remember this moment when Tay becomes the leader of this franchise. It will be pivotal. ..and go down as another master move by the current NBA king of GM'm....Joeyyyyyyy D.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

tay is worth it

without a doubt. remember last year when tay elevated his game. the pistons were unstoppable. he didn't have that good of a ecf or nba finals. but i think that was mainly because of fatique and mismatches. he just isn't the best player to put on driving players. ginobli and wade just use thier speed against him. also tay's offensive game will pick up this year i think flip will use him much more than lb did. tay is a mismatch for pretty much every 3 in the league. this year tay will start stroking the 3 ball under flips system. tay is a steal at 50 million.

chauncey and rip will not care how much tay is making. i think tay was making about 1 million or so when we won the championship. tay is just getting his on the back end. he paid his dues.

i'm not worried about signing ben. he's on the decline anyway. joe shouldn't low ball him but he should give him a decent contract. that best represents what he did for us in the past. but still is realistic about what he's going to offer us in the future. i think it's interesting that we won't sign ben this year. maybe joe needs to check out darko and maxiell to see how much and how long he's going to invest in ben.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's about right

$45 mill for 5 years is about right. That's basically giving him about $7.5mill after this upcoming season, which is right on target. Tay will shine this year, he'll be stronger and have a legit backup, to rest his legs. If I've said it once I've said a 1000 times, JOE IS TOTALLY CONVINCED THAT THE ONLY THING THAT WENT WRONG WITH TAY LAST YEAR WAS FATIGUE. Joe feels that if he can rest Tay this year, it will pay huge dividends.

I'm totally in favor of giving Tay a 5 year deal that begins to pay him anywhere from 7.5-8.5 mill beginning in the 06/07 season.
  4. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I really wish that wasn't the case though with the fatigue issue because now we don't know if Tay hit that Sophmore ceiling. What if we sign this kid and he doesn't get any better?

I mean 7-8 mill a year isn't too bad but 5 years is a long time. If only the Pistons had another year to see if Tay is worth any more (or maybe even any less?) since we still gotta resign Ben.
  5. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Tay is a keeper. He and management will come to terms of a team that will beneficial to the team as well as Tay. The fact is, everyone would love to have any of our starting 5. Apparently some folks take pay cuts to help build the team and draw more talent. Now about Ben...
  6. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

He would be if he put on 15 pounds of muscle and could learn to layup with his right hand. His weakness against speed was revealed last year and his offense was inconsistent. He would be worth a 5 year at around 7 mill.
  7. max

max All-Star

Sheed

Sheed is not making as much as Nash. Around the same as Arenas. You think Arenas is more valuable? Big guys are hard to find.
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Absolutely

Right now, Tay is a border line All Star player, just like Rip was when we signed him. It seems fair that Tay gets the same contract. Rip, hopefully, should make an All Star team soon. And Tay should also, if he can get more aggressive on O. If he does, 8-9 mil a year will be a bargain.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Border-line all stars

Except for getting calls from the refs, there is nothing better than having a team of border-line all stars. JD has it pretty good: a) no starter is significantly better than another, which builds respect and unity, b) none of the players get the all-star ego, and c) it keeps their market value down, which allows the team to get more border-line all-stars. Also, the balance makes it tough for other teams to create a game plan to pick us apart. No weak links. Tay's rate won't kill us. Better to sign him up now before he makes his first all-star team.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tay Tay Deserves The Mon-nay

WHEN WE LOOK B-B-B-BACK ON THE LAST 56 YEARS, WE WILL SEE A 5-TIME ALL DEFENSE PLAYER WITH A 15, 5 AND 5 GAME. PLUS, HE WILL BE A CREDIT TO THE TEAM AND COMMUNITY, JUST LIKE JOE D. HOLLA!!!:yo: HQ
  11. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

Tays worth

We need to remember that while Tay has shown flashes of brilliance that paying him around $10M while Ben makes $7m will definately force up our scale. We also need to keep in mind that, regardless of how great we think Tay is or could be, he has still had trouble in the PO guarding more physical SFs. I don't know if even the emphasis on getting him a suitable back up for relief minutes will change that. IMO he is more easilly replaced than the other starters.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tay's Game

Tay has a very skilled game that is complementary to a champonship team's needs. He defends, he reb's, he passes, blocks shots, and last season netted 14.5 ppg, and had a the best FG% of any perimeter player on the team. It is very obvious that he is worth every bit of what Rip is worth, on the open Market he's worth even more. We got Rip for a BARGAIN!!!! We signed him the summer of 03, just before we won it all. Can you imagine what Rip was worth on the open market after that title run??? The same thing is going to happen with Tayshaun this season.
  13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Prince and his $$$$

Tay deserves every penny. He is young , a team player , tough a threat on both sides of the ball . Oh yeah and not to forget all defensive team and upping his scoring every year. He could end up in the rafters if you ask my opinion.
  14. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

Tay

Hasn't missed a game in 2 years! Improved leaps and bounds both years. He's definately close. I reckon 8.5 per annum would be about right. The league wage scale is way out of kilter. Shaq is not worth his contract. Even at the discount he gave the Heat.
  15. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

market rate

it's tough to know what he is worth on the open market, but I can't see paying the man more than Ben Wallace. Sheed is OVERPAID. We will be making trades at some point this year or in the off season because there ain't enough loot to go around. Prince is a keeper, though. So you pay him and keep him. I wish we could get him for 35 mil same amount of years.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sign him up.

Tay seems like a pretty straight up dude, and if has worked this hard for peanuts, just think of how motivated (and confident!) he will be once he gets paid. I expect him to breakout this year, and make the all star game this year.

Am I the first one to predict all star game this year for Prince? Hmmm. Anyone wanna argue that one?
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

45-50 million in my opinion is a bit much for Prince but he would get more in the free agency market where his value is pretty high and some bottom feeding team would offer him a ton more to have him.
  18. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

10 million per year?!?

I love Tayshaun and want to keep him here in the D as long as we can, but hey #22 just isn't exactly worth $10 million in my book folks. Perhaps if he was more of a consistent scoring option and averaged 18ppg or more but he does it more with intangibles for us. I'm sorry but I just don't think he should get payed more annually than Rip.... Chauncey should probably make more than Tay as well but we were lucky enough to get him at a bargain rate so that's understandable.

I hope Joe doesn't foolishly overspend to resign our up and coming stud Tay. Tay definitely should be rewarded but not overzealously.
  19. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

tay

Tay should average about 7.5 mill over 5 yrs IMO.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

so you guys think Sheed is worth 10 mil? To me, the only reason why he got that much is because his last one was a maximum contract. But last season he hasn't done enough to prove being worth it. Good, solid play, but in this prize- class, there are better ones.
    Maybe Joe D. hadn't any options and Sheed fit in to well into the championship puzzle. Let's hope he shows more next season.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sheed- Hater, but it's hard to see him getting more than Rip, CB and Ben.