What is wrong with the Eastern Conference??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I was reading the USA Today sports section and just happened to glance at the NBA standings, and to my surprise, there are only 3 teams in the EC that are above 500!! The Pistons, Cleveland, and the Orlando Magic.

There is an entire division that is UNDER 500. The NJ Nets are leading the Atlantic Division at 7-12.......followed by the Knicks at 8-14. Out of 15 teams only 3 are above 500, thats is embarrasing and alarming. At this rate the bottom 4 seeds will enter the playoffs with a losing record.

If you look at the Western Conference there are only 6 teams out of 15 that are below 500.

Why is it a huge difference in winning basketball between the conferences? Is it talent? Coaching?
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Its parity.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Both talent and coaching, but also the style of play. In 04 and 05 the East was on the rise. Teams like Detroit, and Indiana played gritty shutdown in your face defense. Many of the Eastern conference teams did this as well, while the West remained finesse. The Spurs were the only great defensive team out west. Many of these rule changes have effected the defensive teams, who are mainly in the East.

Along with this the only top coach in the East is Pat Riley. Flip is above average, but we all know about his many faults. LB is gone. The West has coach's like Jackson, Popovich, D'Antoni, Avery, and Karl while the East really only has Pat Riley.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

After all of our fussin' the Pistons are tied with the best winning % in the East.... it's not how good we are but how weak our competition is...
    If we get out of the East anything can happen for a playoff savy team.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The East has been slow to embrace an uptempo game, still mired in the half court attack of the 90s Knicks and Miami Heat.

Important to notice that the best Internationals play in the West. Parker, Ginobili, Nowitzki, Kirilenko, Okur, Gasol (out), Yao Ming with a second tier of Diaw, Biedrins, Pietrus.

Who does the East have? Start at the second tier with Darko, Krstic, Jasikevicius, Bargnani, Ilgauskas.
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

90's???

The East has been more of a half court conference for a lot longer than that.

Do you remember the 80's Pistons, Celtics, Hawks, Knicks, Bucks, Cavs?

Any of these teams could run fast breaks effectively, but only the Lakers were referred to as "Showtime" and the West was perceived as "Run and Gun" even back then.

The difference?

Larry O'brien didn't go out of his way to make stars where there were none, change the ball, outlaw conversing with officials, essentially legislate defensive power out of the game.

The result....the pendulum would eventually swing so that the Eastern teams were the powerhouses....They were not turned into perpetual tier 2 teams by the rules of the game.
  7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

C'mon guys, ya'll know what time it is. Don't you know a whole lotsa folk is tired of the West kickin our azz? Have you seen next year's rookie crop? This is supposed to be the deepest "can't miss" draft in quite some time.

The Atlantic is a ship wreck headin for the shoals. Boston, New Jersey, Philly and Toronto got nothin to lose by losing. Not this year. The only reason New York ain't hangin with em is cause Zeke forgot to put lottery protection on the pick he swapped with Chicago.

Milwakee wants a good pick and even Miami wouldn't mind positioning themselves for a half-way decent pick. After all, Shaq, Wade and the refs will take care of them come post season.

Atlanta and Charlotte are too wet behind the ears and Indy is in a helluva tail-spin. Orlando ain't got enough horses for the long stretch. That leaves Cleveland, Chicago, and Washington; besides us that acts like we want to win.

A block-buster trade or two could change these dynamics in a hurry!
  8. roscoe36

I was referring specifically to the styles of those Pat Riley teams. Walk it up, stall ball, fake zone, iso basketball.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The West has been considered the dominant conference for quite some time now. Despite that, the East has won 2 out of the last 3 Championships... but the West has won 5 in a row before that... but the East won 8 of the last 10 before that.

4 of the last 8 were won by Shaq... and 3 by Duncan. It seems to me that all that really matters is where 1 or 2 dominant players happen to reside.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree though. I dont' think that was Riley's gameplan in a intentional sense. I just think his personel kind of made those games end up that way.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree with Darth Low. JVG did the same thing in Houston when TMAC went down.
  12. roscoe36

JVG is Riles apprentice. The first coach to play "limit the possessions" in the shot clock era was the Tsar Mike Fratello (see 80s ATL Hawks).

Chuck Daly perfected the "milking the clock offense" (picture Zeke dribbling down the clock in what seemed like hundreds of 4th quarters), and after it defeated Showtime, Riley saw it as the perfect way to take a mediocore roster and make it very competitive (Knicks/Heat).

Physicality, pseudo-zone, half court and less and less possessions per game. Walking the ball up. That's Riles entire game plan. Own the boards and pound it to a big man. Slow tempo to a crawl and even with more turnovers, less shot attempts, win a lot of games.

It's how Larry Brown has been able to turn bad teams around quickly, and how Rick Carlisle came into the NBA and won 50 games in his first 2 years.

Popovich runs a similar offense in San Antonio (Larry Brown disciple) and Mike Brown does the same in Cleveland (Carlisle/Popovich disciple). Carlisle was a Chuck Daly apprentice with the Nets.

I wish I could find it. There was a great article about how the NBA shouldn't be addressing scoring by changing the ball or emphasizing certain rules, allowing zone etc. Simply shorten up the shot clock 4 seconds, and the pace of games would pick up dramatically.

That's how I see it.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Wiki material.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Some good post here. Even Hats was understandable.
    Just think if the lions played in a conference like the NBA least.
    We could get into the playoffs with a 4 and 12 record.
    But it's sooo lovely, look at all those suck hine least teams.
    It's kinda like the tard league. I think the Nets will rise some. And watch out for a .500 Zeke team that could be a 4 seed.
    Do the Nets still try to run? Say good nite Kidd.