What made Detroit perform so badly in 1991?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zeeboe, Mar 20, 2006.

1. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

We got beat, but I don't think it was very fair. I didn't like how that series was called at all. It seemed obvious to me that the league had had enough of the Bad Boys and that they wanted MJ to be in the Finals against Magic and the Lakers.

However, I do think we were destined to lose that year no matter what. In '88 the Pistons beat the Bulls in 5. In '89 the Pistons beat the Bulls in 6. In '90 the Pistons beat the Bulls in 7.

The Bulls were always going to win in '91; it was their time (unfortunately).

2. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Who has it on tape? Those were some GOOD games!

3. Zeeboe

Zeeboe Second Round Draft Pick

Hello a few years later. :) I hope none of you guys mind me bumping this old thread. There's some forums out there that actually have mods who don't like that for some odd reason. Anyhow....

I love old-school basketball and I love talking about it. Especially the 80's and 90's roundball. That was a fun time to be a fan. I can't get into b-ball as much today, but if you quized me on the golden era of the NBA, I could hold my own.

In response to the last post: One part of me would enjoy watching those games again too. I've seen bits and pieces on you tube, but seeing the full games without having to stop and go find the next clip would be nice. Plus watching them on my 40-inch HDTV would be extra sweet too. :D

Another part of me would just want to sigh a bunch and shake my head, and get mad since the Bulls beat them so badly, and because the refs were so bias. It would be like going in a time machine and having to deal with the nonsense all over again.

The Houston Rockets in 1995 were 47-35 that year, yet they still went on to win the title. The Detroit Pistons were the three-time Eastern Conference champions, and the two-time NBA world champions, yet they won only fifty games in 1991, but they were still able to make it to the Eastern Conference finals. To me, that meant they had heart.

Despite age and injuries effecing them, and despite losing a few of their key players, I still believe the Pistons in 91' could have at least pushed the Bulls to six games. Philly beat them once, as did L.A......so there was no reason that the Bad Boys couldn't get a victory too. The league just hated them, and wanted to degrade them by having them get swept by their top rival. I wish at the very least there could have been a fair game called. I'd accept the Pistons not at their best against the Bulls at theirs, and I'd be fine with an older and more hurt Bad Boy squad........but at the VERY least, the powers that be could have called the games down the line.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Detroit shot 44% during the playoffs in 1991..

Chicago shot 51% during their 17 game playoff run, only losing 2 postseason games.

We didn't perform badly. Chicago was just that good. :gaah:

6. Zeeboe

They just barely lost those games too. I wish that somehow I could magically take those two games the Bulls lost in the playoffs, and transfer them to the eastern conference finals and give those wins to our guys, so that way the Pistons could have lost in six games instead of four. No disrespect intended towards Sir Charles or Magic, but let Philly and L.A. be the ones to get swept. :) That way, the bad boys could have at least gone out fighting, and no doubt getting two wins and keeping the finals interesting and close would have made the Bulls and their fans sweat some.

I hated Michael Jordan then, and I hate him now. I always viewed him as a ball hog, and very over-hyped. I think the NBA made him out to be better then what he was to sell Nikes and make $$$$. I always wanted to see MJ get his butt handed to him in the finals. I hated how everyone loved Jordan too, and how people always assumed if you like basketball, you like Michael Jordan. Grrrr, that use to tick me off. The only reason why people liked him is because TV told people too, and I have no doubt that he was a good player, but I truly believe the league helped him out some. The Bad Boys never needed any help.

The fact that the Bad Boys are the only team to ever punk out Michael Jordan, and make him sweat, get insomnia, have trouble eating, lose his meals a few times and getting him highly angry more then once is probably the number one reason why I loved the Pistons from that era.

Anytime I saw or read the words...."Jordan rules" from a Bulls fan it always made me smile, but for all the wrong reasons. ;) Mwhahahaha.

7. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Tell us how you REALLY feel about MJ!:D

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Otis Thorpe
    Anyway Beer and Zeke had been together since 1984. Time was up.
    As for Jordan, he had his run then lost his Dad tragicly and he sucks as a manager and the Bull are our B' again.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That's one of the best comments yet on why Flip has won so many games. Different style of play and bad coaching now sticks out like a sore-thumb. Of course, this also applies right up the chain.

10. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

If you're interested in racking up regular-season wins, then by all means, hire someone like Flip Saunders or Mike D'Antoni.

If you actually want to win the championship, hire someone else.

11. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Great thread Zeeboe!

Surely someone remembers Daddy Rich's famous quote:

"No more Big Games"...

Meaning that after prolonged success, any given group of players stop dominating the way they were previously able to. Reasons for this are many and varied, but I think Coach would probably say that after success players begin to believe in their own "propaganda", and stop doing the little things that make the team what it is (I remember Chuck stating that even the 12th guy on the PO roster began to loudly take credit after one of the championships! - Hey didn't Billups recently take credit for success of a team he was not even part of?).

On the court it shows in the subtle ways. Guys stop holding picks and open to the basket too quickly, so that the guy coming off the pick does not get open. The team defense is no longer there, etc. The team loses its... wait for it... IDENTITY!

We saw the same thing with Lakers versus the Pistons in the finals. That core of Lakers were done.

The same thing applies to the core of Pistons we had at the start of the season. All the Billups lovers whine now that he's gone, but the truth is for that core group of players, there were no more big games left. It was simply time...

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Now I get to pay you some respect. Very insightful, very true.

I think Daddy Rich was one of the greatest coaches of all time, and by that I mean he is right there with PJ, Red, and Riley. You could spend months learning about leadership and team building from him. His understanding of men could translate to military success, business success. He's a very smart cat.

About the '91 season, I think that's the year that Laimbeer and Zeke skipped the team flight around Christmas, and stayed home with their families. They took the fines, and booked their own charter, but it had to be obvious to everyone that they just didn't have the same drive and obsession to win.

13. Zeeboe

I take back what I wrote before. I don't know what I was thinking. Honest error. I didn't mean it. I guess I thought a few losses to the Pistons would have hurt the Bulls more because they hated the Bad Boys so much, but a total blow-out win over Magic would have made some people think he was over the hill when he wasn't. Magic was still a very good player then. Not to mention, a complete burn over the Lakers would have made my boyhood a little bit worst then it already was, and I'll cover that more a little bit later in this post.

Now with that being typed, I loved Magic Johnson and the Lakers, and I would have really hated to see them get totally destoryed by Michael Jordan and the Bulls in the finals. No way would I want to take one of their wins away. Not even to give to the Pistons. At least L.A. got one win against MJ. For a few days, the Bulls and their fans weren't so cocky, and sweated and panicked quite a bit after their loss in game one, and remembered just how dangerous Magic and his Lakers could be. I don't want to get off topic, but what happened to Magic and the Lakers in 91' was pretty much the same story as the Bad Boys. Age and injuries slowed them down, and their key players either retired or were traded, but the 91' Lakers still played like champions. Like I wrote, they got one win in, and they just barely lost games 3 and 4. So they didn't just go down without a fight, and they made the Bulls work.

I guess that is why I appear more distrubed about the Pistons loss to the Bulls because they just got ran flat over like a tank running over a couple of rocks. I mean, I can't stress this enough, I also hated that Magic got beat because through out my childhood, I had to defend Magic from MJ fans, and pretty much everyone in the world seemed to love Jordan then whereas I was the lone Magic fan who would have debated until I was blue in the face about how much of a better player Magic was then Jordan, and I can always say that Magic tried in 91', and did his best, and probably could have pushed the series to six or seven games, and even win it all if the refs weren't closet Bulls fans. But the poor Pistons on the other hand.....those 91' games are hard to watch sometimes. Especially since it appears that they were trying, but if that was the best they could do, then that leaves the question I already asked, and I got my answer. So thank you everyone who posted, and gave their two cents.

1979-1991 in my opinion was a great era in the NBA because it had so many great players and teams. Anybody could have won the finals, and they did. But in the 90's, as we know, it was all Michael Jordan.

14. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Damn straight.

He is far more humble than Riley, and PJ for that matter, even though he was the only coach I am aware of that was referred to as "god" by his players.

He has stated that his policy was to hire assistant coaches smarter than he was. I think that says a lost about the man and his character.

I am too young to have witnessed the legendary Red's (Holzman and Auerbach).

He worked his way up through the ranks without the North Carolina "mystique and fraternity benefits" that seems to help land people jobs, and no doubt helped LB earn the big dollars despite his modest success in the 80s and 90s. And he never had the credentials of having played in the ABA/NBA too, where as PJ and Riley have rings as former (role) players if I am not mistaken.

In my mind, Coach Daly was THE greatest.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And possibly his intelligence!

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

As always, the down-under group is well grounded.

Good post.

17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm no Jordan lover, and I agree that the league helped him out some. But I have to say I think that even if you subtract that help, he was much more than a good player. Of course, you may just have very high standards (i.e. if Jordan was merely a good player, do we have any good players at all on our team today?) Then, on the other hand, I think the Jordan of the second string of championships was a much better player than the Jordan who finally took the Bad Boys out.