what number will the orlando pick land

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 25, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Right now the Magic are 1 game behind the Nets for the last playoff spot and would give us the 13th pick. They are losing at a higher rate than some of the other losing teams so hopefully the pick will keep improving.

Nice to get it in the 7-9 range. I think we need it to be 6 or higher to get it this year.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, they are definitely floundering. I'm not really sure why they can't solve their turnover problem, but it is bad. When you slow the game down to 88 possessions, and then you turn it over 20 times, it is devastating. There is really no way to win like that.

Like I've said before, watching them and other teams on league pass, really makes me appreciate Chauncey. Even when CB has an off night, at least he hangs on to the ball.

I thought Jameer Nelson was much better than he really is. He is like a Ben Gordon-lite and should probably be coming off of the bench on an average team. Hopefully, they hit a point where they get discouraged and just choose to develop Reddick and Diener, etc to our advantage.
  3. max

max All-Star

I really have not been following them that much. If you take out the hot start they have been playing losing ball for most of the season. Lets hope that trend continues. It has to be discouraging to not be winning and knowing that you will have to give away your pick.

Yes good point guards are so hard to come by. I would imagine Orlando will make a run at Billups, I don't care how much Dumars has to pay him - can't let that happen.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I watched the Magic game tonight and they lost a close one to the Mavs tonight 103-98. Darko helped our cause by tipping in a basket for the Mavs with less than 2 minutes left in the game scoring points 95 and 96 for them. :)
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Are we saying that Darko has not been the twin tower savior? :MusicBigGrin:
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am pretty sure that the Dirty Knickers will pass the Magic. Zeke's competitive fire is filtering down to his troops who are basically healthy except for Lee and his ankle which like Sheed's is day to day and Crawford who is probably done for the year. Losing Crawford was a tough blow but if Francis can stay healthy it should mitigate the loss of Crawford.

:hoops:
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't watch the Orl-Dal game, but looking at the box score, it is obvious why they had a chance to win that game. Only 10 turnovers combined with 51% shooting. The killer was that Dallas had 9 turnovers and shot 53%.

32 assists for the Mavs too. Other than that, the stats across the board were remarkably similar. 22 fouls apiece. 4 blocks apiece. 33 to 32 rebounding.

So, Dallas was doing everything right and still almost had their 14 game winning streak snapped at home by Orl. That tells you that Orlando has "potential." And when you're gunning for the 8th spot in the East, it doesn't take much of a run to get it done.

They have had a rough schedule lately with Det/ Det/ Hou/ Chi/ Den/ SA/ and Dal in a row. They have about 5 more tough games and then it gets a lot easier for them the rest of the year.

And after all of this losing, they still have only 1 less win than Miami.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Took a peek at Orlando's schedule... it looks fairly easy.
    The have 11 home games and 10 away.
    They play 10 teams with winning records (1/2 at home).

I'll project this out to 13-8 to finish the season.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just out of curiosity, I took at look at Howard's stats since Darko began starting 12 games ago.

First 49 games/ last 12 games
    Points- 16.9/ 23.0
    FGA%- .570/ .684
    FTA- 7.9/ 8.3
    Rebs- 12.0/ 12.5
    Blocks- 1.76/ 2.33

I can't really say that this is conclusive since it is only 12 games, but it looks like it is possible that Darko is opening up the floor for him.

Howard is averaging 6 more points per game at almost 70% shooting. Surprisingly, his rebounding numbers haven't suffered at all (since DM is averaging 7.4 rebs as a starter vs. Battie's 5.2).
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I had the misfortune of watching the first three quarters of the Chicago / Orlando game last night. Barring a major miracle I don't see any chance that Orlando will hold onto the last playoff spot. And barring a ping pong ball miracle, the Pistons ought to get a pretty good pick.

Howard has no fire, no fight. He's putting up good numbers, 17 and 14 last night, but somehow seems non-existent on the court. His only defensive play is to come from the weak side to block the shot over the primary defender. And if you want to stop him from scoring, just hack him when he gets the ball.

Darko either puts up semi-decent numbers or fouls like you're the one getting free throws like last night where he managed five in 16 minutes. Turkoglu is a bench role player forced to try and lead an offense. The guards are flat out dreadful. Ariza would be a ten minute energy guy on a good team but is also being forced into a broader role here, and mostly doesn't look bad, but that's in comparison with the Magic guards.

Looking good for the Pistons, bad for the Magic. If the GM is worth his salt, Howard and Darko will be back next year (maybe Hill, not sure if this is his last year), and everyone else sent packing.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They should probably keep Ariza too. He's playing injured right now, and should get back to his old self by next year.

It's strange how they can just destroy Chicago on the road and then get blown out in their own building. Especially after Chicago just got beat by 30 in Miami.

It looks like Durrant is going to stay in school for another year, so that would make this draft 1 less deep.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Looks like the Pistons will be getting a decent pick from the Magic. Hope they don't waste it.

And just when the Magic could really use it, too. Wonder if Joe will be Mr Nice Guy and let them keep it :pound: :pound: :pound: .

It is really a puzzle at times to see them play so well and then see them play so badly. But at all times, the PG situation is not good. Win or lose, it is not because of their PGs. More and more I am thinking that coaching is a major part.

Why? So many times, a team that is riddled with injuries plays a good team, they will rise up above all their problems and beat them, like the night before last. On the other hand, like last night, a team plays at home against a team that had just lost to an undermanned, inferior team, by a blowout, comes in tired and having lost to the home team twice, but beats them by big numbers.. The game was never in doubt. And the most the losing coach can come up with are the things we heard Brian Hill say last night, on national television. Stupid!!

And they keep going with the same offensive plan that has failed and failed and failed. They do not play the only point guard that they have that can pass first and still shoot pretty well, including the 3 pointer. They also keep their only other three point threat on the bench because of 'defensive deficiencies' when the starting point guard is being used by any PG that comes down the pike.

And on and on. I just hope the Pistons make good use of this choice. But they have to watch out. The Magic might keep it because it just might be bad enough that they get to.

Wouldn't that be ironic!!