What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

This may a little early but I think it makes for a good topic.

Personally, I want to keep Monroe and get something in return for our expiring contracts like a good SG. However, I could see us keeping our expiring contracts and using it to be players in free agency or we could use it to get a pick in the 2014 draft.

What do you guys want to see happen?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you want to get another SG, it means you've given up on Pope already.
  3. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I love Pope! However, we don't have much depth in that position. Chauncey is a better fit at PG and Stuckey has been good but beyond that we don't have anything. Also, we could probably get an upgrade at SG if we package Stuckey/CV's expiring contracts into a trade.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not enamored with Pope. He might be great. He might not. Just saying, if you bring in an upgrade at the 2, you're forcing Pope to the bench and marginal minutes.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If we're gonna keep Monroe and roll with the three-bigs concept, I think it's essential that we bring in a "3 & D" SF that can be a perennial 6th man of the year candidate.
    We need to add dudes that can spread the floor for Jennings and our front line.
    del likes this.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Starter

3 pt shot is trending, must jump at the bandwagon...
    linwood likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A backup SF/SG who can come off the bench, defend and produce for about 25 mpg........Wilson Chandler. Not sure how you get him, Denver would need to be having a fire sale.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Part of the high scores that we're giving up is due to pace and part is due to ineffective d. The second component will be fixed with cheeks and practice I would hope
  9. BallDon'tLie

I'd add poor shot selection to these reasons.
    It seems like we're seeing a lot of those wacky 4, 5 or 6 point swings where a poor shot leads to a long rebound and an easy fast break for the other team.
    Instead of making a good play that gets us a high-percentage bucket; we jack-up a forced three-pointer that generates a long rebound. These long rebounds are basically outlet passes for the opposing team.

I'd like to get a SF that doesn't do this.
    linwood likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very true. Although some of that is poor transition defense. Our bad shots aren't that much worse than our bad shots in our stale offense days of 2005 when we ran out of clock. Opponents are getting some really easy buckets on 4 on 3 breaks, etc.
  11. BallDon'tLie

Agreed.

One of the primary responsibilities of your PG is to make sure that he gets back on D to stop fast breaks. It's pretty hard for BJ7 to play "free safety" on transition defense when he's launching bombs at a 30% clip. If the Pistons want to slow down other teams on the fast break, 1 of three things has to happen:

1. Instruct all Piston SGs and SFs that getting back on defense is THEIR responsibility when Jennings is running the show. (I don't want to see this. It will kill our 2nd chance opportunities and take us even further out of our offense than we already are.)

2. Jennings needs to stop shooting threes. (I don't recommend this. The Pistons NEED all the help that they can get to spread the floor and keep the defense honest. The 3-pointer is an important NBA weapon!)

3. Jennings needs to be more selective on his 3-point attempts; take better shots, thus - converting a higher percentage of his attemts. (As a casual internet fan and former college intermural PG, THIS is the strategy that I'd like to see Coach Maurice implement.)
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would be interesting to see opponent fg percentage after our made fgs vs league average after fgs. I.e., how does our half court d rank? Any way to get that stat?
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We are not going to get a good player for expirings and since the Gordon trade made sure we cannot trade first rounders until 2029 we'll have to give up Monroe to get a good SG/SF.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I would trade Monroe for Wilson Chandler and their 1st round pick + filler. They get a Big and we get solid wing scorer, shooter defender. I know you don't trade Big for small, but this is an upgrade and we get a 1st rounder in this draft. Denver would love a big to pair with Manimal, and they own the Knicks 1st rounder so they still have picks. I am a big Chandler fan and although Monroe is better, the draft pick and roster balance I think makes it ok. Plus, I like the Smith / Drummond pairing better and thus would rather use the $$ from Monroe on other areas in the roster - so it is not a trade against Monroe, but rather what I think his value is to the team.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can we get the knicks pick our aren't they allowed to trade that?
  16. BallDon'tLie

At first I was all like WHAT! Yo don't freaking trade Greg freaking Monroe!
    But if it's a lottery pick, which it very well could be, That ain't a bad deal.
    Maybe Joe could swing a deal where the Pistons receive the higher pick between NY & Denver.

...I don't see Denver doin it though.
    They like Chandler.
    If McGee plays well when he comes back, they won't want Monroe.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the Pistons and Joe Dumars stay true to their past, they don't give away assets (Hamilton, Stuckey, Prince, etc.). They feel invested in Greg Monroe and they will over-bid against themselves to re-sign him for more than he is worth. I like Monroe and have no problem with him staying around. I'm just saying I don't envision any scenario in which the Pistons trade him.
    linwood likes this.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Just because it's trendy doesn't mean it's wrong. You obviously don't want to cram pieces together that don't work and convince yourself that you're effectively following the leader, but I can't think of any rational argument for NOT trying to get the best return on investment (points per play) that you can, every time down the court. That means a minimum of 33% on threes and 50% inside the arc, since they will result in the same amount of points over 100 possessions (although the target should be closer to 40%/60%).

I'd move Monroe to the bench. Right now there's way too much overlap in skills on offense, and these guys keep each other from playing effectively. Dumars is flat-out wrong (or doesn't understand the concept) when he says that the concept of positions is obsolete - Smith is a down-low player, and needs to play down-low. The same goes for Monroe and Drummond, which means that nobody is playing well out high. This is why the Pistons are last in the league in 3-pt defense.

Who to bring off the bench to start? Singler and Datome are options, but I think Jerebko may be the best choice. We all know he's a small forward - he's an effective enough gunner to stretch defenses and his length can cause problems for other players. He doesn't have the best quickness, but I'm okay with that - as long as he keeps opponents from getting easy 3-pointers, the guys down low can keep them from driving inside and I'm okay with a rushed long-range two, even if it's somewhat open. He also hustles enough defensively to go inside-out, meaning that rebounding might actually improve on that unit.

So with Jennings/KCP/Jerebko/Smith/Drummond starting, the bench looks like Bynum/Stuckey/Singler/Datome/Monroe. Obviously these guys mix and match with the starters, but you could effectively run this group with Monroe at the high post using his passing skills with Bynum and Stuckey crashing and Singler/Datome on the wings.

That's what I'd do, but I'm not the coach. We'll see if Cheeks figures out how to do anything at all.
    Walter likes this.
  19. BallDon'tLie

Monroe seems like the kind of guy that would love coming off of the bench.
    I have a feeling that he'd be as receptive as Rip Hamilton was in that role.
    del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe. I don't have a great feel for the personalities of the players, but I get the feeling that if he felt that it was his best chance to win, he'd probably do it.

Plus, there's always the sixth-man-of-the-year award to entice him.