1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, I'm agree with that. Just thinking about how the Spurs got Leonard.. trading George Hill for him to the #15 pick form the Pacers. George Hill was good, real good, but he's not playing like he did it in San Antonio

BUT, Despite that, I think Leonard could be the real deal.

I might do that.. maybe with a 2nd round pick from GSW included.

Man, I'd love Jeff Green with Smith and Drummond.

But I don't see that happening, Boston is trying to hold on to Rondo and Green as their core, and surrond them with young prospects with future. At least, that's what I think they're trying to do.

2. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Trade Monroe for Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried.

Seems like a realistic trade for both sides IMO. Both Faried and Chandler are on good contracts (Faried is on his rookie contract this season + next, and Chandler make like 6.5/year). This deal would be cheaper than keeping Monroe with an extension and it would make us deeper with quality players. Not to mention this line-up would most likely fit better together than our current line-up.

From my understanding have the Nuggets been shopping Faried for quite some time. I think they realized the lack of offensive game from McGee/Faried will never lead them anywhere. In Detroit, Faried would be the 6th man, a role which is probably best suited for him. He's all hustle/rebounding, but he's not really a good defensive player. JJ Hickson is filling the same role as Faried on their team.

Also, the Nuggets are kinda stacked with young wings, so losing Chandler wouldn't be a big deal. And the Nuggets know Chandler will never be anything else than a solid role-player.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I love the Manimal, but he's not gonna solve any problems for us. Offensively, he's redundant with Drummond. Manimal will become Jason Maxiell 2.0 here.

We'll have a better chance of success moving Moose to the bench.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Yeah, and one Larry Brown. This team doesn't get out of the second round by changing the 3rd string player.

The Danny Green who broke the 3pm record in the finals and shredded Miami with spacing? As well as being a solid defender? That's not so bad as you think.

Faried is good on D. He would be great as an off the bench PF to try and plug the leaks of our second unit. A starter? Nope.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ok THIS is some of my best work!
    3 team deal: Detroit, Denver and New Orleans.
    • Denver gets: Eric Gordon, Jonas and Datome. They get the SG they need and free up money for Manimal......assuming that's a priority for them.
    • New Orleans gets: Gallinari and Greg Monroe. They get the frontline starting help they need to play with Anthony Davis.
    • Detroit gets: Ryan Anderson and Wilson Chandler. This trade also frees up cap space for next because we've moved the salaries of JJ and Datome ($7M), combine that with the fact that we don't have to worry about signing Monroe and the expiring contract of Stuckey and Chaz.......we have about $11M of money to play with this summer.......Evan Turner? Luol Deng
    Depth chart:
    PG: Jennings / Bynum / Billups / Siva
    SG: Pope/ Stuckey /
    SF: Chandler / Singler
    PF: Smith / Anderson / Mitchell / CV
    C : Drummond / Jorts

The only issue here is that we're left a little vulnerable at the backup C position......but aren't most teams?

6. The Panda

That is a huuuuge trade. But I don't think it happens. Denver shouldn't give up Gallinari. He is a fantastic player, and is paid reasonable money.

New Orleans won't give up Ryan Anderson. I cannot see an instance where he gets traded because without him their floor spacing is worse than ours. He is the most critical guy in the NO rotation, hands down.

And I don't think we should give up Datome. At $1m a year he is so cheap and he is a solid rotation player. He would still be adjusting to the NBA 3pt line.

I'm starting to think that we wait out this season and sign Luol Deng (unless we can trade for him?)

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is like to see them take that 11 million they save in @KGREGKGREG's trade and re-sign Stuckey. That's the market rate for a top 6th man based on Gordon's contract.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

linwood likes this.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:takeitout:

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. S.J.

Why would we want Ryan Anderson?? Another PF that can't defend and shoot threes? An offensively improved Villanueva?

Trade Monroe for Harrison Barnes. straight.

10. The Panda

He is also a good passer.

Remember, whatever team we trade Monroe to has to have the cap space to resign him. So GSW aren't going to make the trade because they can't afford to add an extra 6-8m a year when they try and resign him.

11. S.J.

I didn't had that in mind. Ok then.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Because the whole Josh Smith at SF thing isn't going to work over the long term. Anderson and Monroe are a wash defensively. He can come off the bench, Moose won't. He's locked into a very reasonable contract and will save us money to make a roster upgrade. Both are going to give you 16 ppg, Anderson does it for $8.5M, Moose will want $12.5M. Ryan gives us RELIABLE shooting from the perimeter, fixing our spacing issues.

kpaav likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This was funny a few days ago....... Now it might be prophetic, especially when you look at how much the Pelicans are paying Tyreke Evans.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Please elaborate what Harrison Barnes has achieved in his career besides being a sidekick to Stephen Curry in a stupid fantasy basketball ad last year.

15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Barnes wouldn't go top 10 in a re-draft of that class. He's not a quality player.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Right now Matt Barnes is the better Barnes.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is sort of coincidental that Barnes' best TS% of his 11 season career came in the one season that he was retrained by Mo Cheeks (.578).

Unfortunately for us, Josh Smith is shooting the lowest TS% of his career with a 74% increase in 3-point attempts from his previous high. I am really enjoying Smith so far and can imagine him being a part of a great team eventually here, but he's just not built to play the perimeter on either end. It's great that he has the ability to hit the 3 (similar to Sheed) to stretch the defense when needed, but it should be when he's guarded by a big man so that we at least get the benefit of a defender and rebounder from the other team getting pulled out of the paint. Having him shoot at 29% with a SF guarding him and a PF and C down low to grab his misses isn't anything special. Jennings can match that success rate from half court and he'd be open all the time as well.

All my arguing for Singler isn't that I think Singler is a very talented player, it's just that he actually fits the position. Think of him as that "replacement player" that is in a lot of baseball stats. WARP (wins above replacement player). Singler is that replacement player for us. We could easily get another guy just as effective for cheap in a trade or a 2nd round draft pick or even from guys on our bench (Gigi maybe). But despite him not being exceptional, at least he's a round peg for a round hole.

Here is Smith's breakdown at position so far this year... and keep in mind that he's been a net positive for us on the court overall from a plus/minus perspective:

At SF:
    Smith's PER = 10.9
    His man's PER= 25.6 (His man's eFG = .700). His man is scoring just under 30 points per 48 minutes on him at this position with historically high efficiency.

That scenario above is happening in 39% of the total team's minutes. Our starting SF is getting abused like no other SF ever has in the history of NBA basketball on both ends of the court. Basically, every guy that he faces becomes Lebron James in the playoffs with Dick Bavetta reffing and Bill Walton announcing.

At PF:
    Smith's PER = 18.1
    His man's PER = 11.0

He out rebounds his man. He out assists him. He gets triple the blocks. He holds them to 15 points per 48, which is fantastic.
    This scenario is only happening in 32% of our total team's minutes.

So, having him at SF isn't just a way to get our big 3 to start to save face before settling into the real rotation-- Cheeks is actually keeping him at SF more often than not.

So, don't be hating on Josh Smith for shooting from the perimeter. That is what you have to do when you are playing SF to spread the defense. We already have Monroe and Drummond with their tents set up in the paint. In the half court offense, that's the only way that he's going to get a normal amount of shots off. And a good percentage of the time, he's our last option and his 29% chuck is our best remaining option.

Cheeks needs to end the experiment and find a way to get him 80+ percent of his minutes at PF (with the 20% at SF coming against favorable matchups like Lebron). That probably means moving Monroe to the bench to start the games. It would take a great sales job by Cheeks to pull it off without ruffling feathers and there is no way that he'll actually do it. The other option is to bring Smith off the bench, but I don't think that makes us as good (and he probably won't do that either).

Conclusion:
    Problem is not that Cheeks needs to limit Smith's outside shooting. Smith's TS% would go from .472 to .476 if he shot 2 fewer 3's per game and made 0.58 less (i.e. at his 3-point percentage).
    Problem is that Cheeks is playing one of the league's best and most versatile power forwards at small forward, where most of his physical advantages become burdens. His exceptional qualities, like passing and stealing are just average at SF.

This is similar to the Drummond FT problem. Shooting underhanded would probably help, but ego will prevent it from being attempted.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow! OUTSTANDING analysis! This is why I think upgrading Kyle Singler is our most pressing need, and while I hate to succumb to this idea as time goes on it's starting to get a little more obvious.....we're going to be forced to move Monroe to accomplish the aforementioned, to limit Smith's minutes at SF.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I haven't thought about this much, but what about trading Greg Monroe for a small forward? All my previous thoughts have been trading him for more of a stretch PF and better defender.

Despite some of the weaknesses in his game, big men like him are rare and you'd think that we could a strong 2-way player in return. With our current mix of players, even Monroe's passing is going to waste to some extend. We have redundancies.

Could we get Iggy in a S&T next year?