What should the Lions do on draft day

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by speilman54, Dec 10, 2006.

1. speilman54

speilman54 Second Round Draft Pick

I say we need a pass rushing de and it looks like there may be at least four worth drafting in round one. If we can trade down we could pick up one of them and maybe a lb who is not just fast but big too. Maybe the kid from Penn State,Posluzny (sp)?

2. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Jones is a dancy runner. He doesn't look for the hole...he runs too upright and is at times too soft. What we need is a hard driving runner like Artose Pinner...wait a minute...we had Artose and dropped him. What we really need is someone who can evaluate talent.

We should draft Smith of Ohio State and start building from there.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think we should have the top 3 ranked players names written on bananas. We should then have those bananas put into a small duffle bag. We then have a trained monkey go and get one banana out of the bag. The banana that is picked and the name on the banana is who we draft. I don't think we could draft any worse. We should also have the monkey place the phone call to the draft pick to welcome him the the circus I mean Detroit Lions as the circus music plays in the background.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's easy. They need to take another WR. Its been years...um... I mean year since they've drafted a WR with their first pick.

5. speilman54

Again with the monkeys. It reminds me of those commercials. I like that idea. Millen could be the organ grinder.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

The Lions need linemen on both sides of the ball...offense first. I'm willing to blame 1/3 of Kitna's fumbles & interceptions on the panty-hosers he has in front of him.

7. jammertime

Trade our #1 pick and Matt Millen for Joey Harrington, Artose Pinner and any GM not named Matt Millen.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm seeing Millen in more of a "Bearded Lady" type role.

I don't know if you guy heard, but Jay Glazer reported that Matt Millen sat alone at the GM meetings during lunch. I guess the other tables were mostly filled up, and for like 25 minutes, he just sat there by himself. No one wanted to sit with him.

True story, as heard on the FoxSports radio.

9. jammertime

Wow, that's kind of sad. Don't tell me stuff like that Roscoe. I'm supposed to hate him, not feel sorry for him. Now I just want to give him a hug and tell him it'll be ok.

:grouphug:

"Its ok Matt. I'm sure the other GMs like you. But, maybe you should consider a career change."

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is the right answer....
    How long before they realize the real core of the QB problems?... Manning would not survive with our O line... but it's been this way for over a decade.

I would trade down and get a couple decent 1st rounders... take the first pick and get a stud D lineman that can collapse the pocket and get to the QB... use the other pick for a mobile O lineman who isn't one dimensional (run & pass block)...Good O lineman usually slide in the draft.
    At least this way you're not as vulnerable to having another washout in the draft.
    Fist get the team in a position to give the QB a fighting chance ... then talk about developing a QB.
    We'd still need to spend most of the FA $'s on a proven lineman.

11. jammertime

I agree Merc. I've been saying for a while now that QB is the LEAST of this team's problems.

Focus on the glaring problems and then once those are fixed THEN we can look to upgrade other positions.

I don't care if Payton Manning and Ladainian Tomlinson were on this team. Without a line, they'd be on their backs in the backfield all game long.

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Gotta get some offensive linemen, that's for sure. I haven't watched 'em much this season (thank god), but I did watch them on Turkey Day. They have way too many problems to mention. They had 60,861 announced attendance yesteday so they didn't fill it up. Glad some Lions fans are taking notice. I'd love if nobody showed up next season for the home opener. That would send a message to management.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah use the first rounder for a GM.

14. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

The first thing I would do is build the defense. I wouldn't start building the offensive line until the defense was complete. Look at the Bears. They are 10-2 and they have a lousy offense. Once the defense was complete, I would then build the offensive line. Then tight ends. Then the running back. It's amazing that no matter waht sport you are talking about, defense always seems to trump a good ofense.

15. jammertime

Our needs on D (in order of need, IMO of course):

1 - a pass rushing DE to go with James Hall (Kalimba Edwards is a complete bust)

2 - a big (able to get a jam in at the line) #1/#2 CB that can play in coverage (doesn't have to give a 10 yard cushion) but can also tackle (Bryant isn't bad when healthy. The problem is that he can't stay healthy and we have no depth at all.)

3 - a big, strong MLB that can play the run (all of our guys are "athletic" aka small and fast, not great tacklers)

4 - a playmaking free safety. We have ok depth at S (Holt, Bullocks, McGraw, Kennedy) but don't have a true playmaker at the position. This is the 2nd lowest priority on D.

Not a priority - DT. We have good depth, the question here is health and Big Baby. If Shaun Rogers can stay healthy, fit and of sound mind, he can be the best in the game. I think Cory Redding has earned the job as the #2 DT with his play this season. Playing along side of Shaun Rogers, who would attract the double teams, Redding should be a dominent interior pass rusher (already leads all DTs in sacks this season, without Rogers). The result? teams would be forced to keep a back in for blocking, go to more 2 TE sets, etc. Meaning there are less players down field for the secondary to have to cover. Cody and Bell are also solid off the bench.

16. jammertime

Our needs on O:

1 - OFFENSIVE LINE!!! We need a LG and RT at the very least. Backus is OK/serviceable at LT. We've been rotating LG's and RT's all season due to injury so its hard to tell what he have for sure (Tucker, Stokes, Verba, Davis, Saipaia, Scott). One thing is for sure though, Demulling blows chunks. Woody has been OK/serviceable at RG, but far from his former Pro Bowl self. He also battles weight issues and now injury concerns, so he's a ? as well.

2 - #2 WR. Furrey is better suited for the slot. Problem is, so is Mike Williams. I'm even ok with Furrey at the 2 and Mike at the 3 (not ideal), but we need better depth after them and for Mike to actually see the field.

3 - a power RB. Kevin Jones is a bit of a tweener to me. He's powerful and quick. The problem for me is, he isn't big enough to take the punishment of a power back (note all the minor injuries he's had already) and he isn't quite fast enough to be get to the edge/hole in the millisecond that the line gives him to do it in. He's a bit of a tweener. I still like Jones, but we need a change of pace back. A powerful, North and South (preferably only North) runner. Someone who can soften up the D and can get the first down/touchdown on 4th and 1.

4 - a legit #1 TE. We're doing fine with the TE by committee right now, especially since Martz offense doesn't use the TE that much. But we could use a Gates, Shockey, Heap type young stud.

Not a priority right now - QB. It just doesn't really matter if its Kitna, McCown or Orlovsky or Manning, Favre or Brady. Until we address the D needs 1-4 and our O needs 1-3, it just doesn't matter.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Posluszny from Penn State isn't that big, but he hits like a ton of bricks...and smart too. He reminds me of Spielman. I think he needs serious consideration for a Lions #1 pick.

18. jammertime

Speed kills, and tackling is the murder weapon.

We need a Urlacher, Dan Morgan type MLB. Someone that combines good speed with killer instincts and can make a drive ending/game changing, bone crushing hit.

I hardly watch any college ball and I've never heard of that dude. But if he's anything like Spielman (hopefully with a bit better wheels), then sign him up!

19. speilman54

Some good thoughts on the draft here guys. Now if we can just package them all and send them to the (braintrust),at Allen Park headquaters we might get somewhere. I am definetley on board with a de 1st and I just love the Posluzny comparisions to my favorite Lion. I'm not sure where he will fall in the draft but if we could get two 1sts for our nmuber one we might get him and one of the top de's available.

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

The star of the franchise, Golden Leg Hansen isn't getting any younger. This guy is one of the only reasons the Lions have been able to put points on the board in many games. Time to start looking to the future.