what the Lions should do

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

It seems like there is at least a 50% chance that drafting a qb with the first pick will end up as a bust, or mediocre player at best. And with Detroit making the pick, I think the chances escalate to about 99% chance of failure. I think we need to trade the pick and pick up some proven veterans. We have too many holes to fill anyways.

1. Develop the line first on both sides.
    2. Then make the remaining defensive players top notch.
    3. Then get a great running back.
    4. Then get a great tight end.
    5. Then get a great qb.
    6. Then get the great wide receivers.

Yes, it would be a long time, but this would be my plan. No sense in tying up alot of cap money on a player that has less than a 50% chance at succeeding. Plus it is foolish to draft a high qb because they are almost certain to lose for several years. And it is almost certain every year you can pick up an aged veteran qb that already has gone through the learning curve. That's why my #5 is so low. You can pick up the franchise qb later down the road with a lower draft pick if you do your homework. Then just work him in slowly over time. If #3 falls to us before #2, that's fine too. But if you can get that solid defense first, you can still go places with an inept offense. We were all reminded of that by the Bears a few years ago.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I totally agree with this line of logic, Buck.

But I have a bad feeling they are going for the glamor on draft day. Maybe they will surprise us.

You are so right. With the Lions, the 50 percent shoots way up to a worse percentage.

TFD had a really funny line that rang very true. Something like "We ain't good enough for a #1 quarterback". :nod: Sorry, couldn't find the exact quote.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The Lions have had a history of drafting the flashy player. 40 years ago, they drafted Nick Eddy out of ND in the 1st round, and a player named Mel Farr in the second. We thought that we were set for years to come. Nick problbly played in a total of 2 games and left injured. Mel had injuries also and only played 2-3 good seasons before also leaving the game. Even when we had Barry Sanders, we had to pick up the blockers as free agents. In 1991, Barry's third season, we lost two lineman who were outstanding that were actually drafted. One died in a freak crash, and the other left the game paralyzed from an on field injury.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

The Lions should punt
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I do NOT want to see the Lions draft a QB @ #1. I'd be ok with it (not great with it) @ #20 if Sanchez were to fall that far, but I'd MUCH rather build the O-Line and everything on D.

Only 3 things would make me happy with the #1 pick.

#1 - draft LB Aaron Curry
    #2 - draft LT Jason Smith
    #3 - trade the pick - but only if they move back a few picks and then draft the best player available at a need position.

The Lions aren't good enough to be considering a QB right now. Plus, there are good (if not better) options coming out next draft.

The Lions need to get better NOW so that FAs would consider coming here. You need to build the car's frame before installing the engine.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The thing is, who will trade the Lions for the #1 so they can make a potentially lousy pick?

It would take a GM with brass kahonas, and guys like that, wouldn't pay the Lions off in spades.

Football more than any other sport, is just as likely to produce a superstar at #5~#15 as at #1 overall.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think the Lions should take the wind.
    -
    Yeah Eyes, we're all on the same page. Let's see the Lions pick a QB and the hole room at the draft just boos the F out of the pick. The Lions still would'nt get it.
    Why draft a Defensive coach then force a QB on him.
    Didn't they see how well Falcons and Ravens did with a stout Dee that kept the score manageable ? Or did they just see 2 successfully 1st rd picks that happen to be QBs ?
  8. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lets face it, the #1 pick is not worth squat. NO TEAM is willing to trade anything to the Lions for that pick. Stafford MAY be an O.K. pick but he's nothing special so no one is going to give up anything worth while for that pick. Maybe a couple of second rounders, but now way are the Lions going to get a boatload of first and second round picks for the #1. There is no great demand for a special player at the #1 spot. Not this year, at least. There's half-a-dozen guys who could go #1, but not one of them is a really great player.

The likely-hood of the Lions being able to trade that pick for anything of value is slim!!
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Just get a monster.
  10. jammertime

How about a monster WR?

As absolutely pathetic as it is, we actually need one!

(Disclaimer: Having said that, if the Lions take a WR with their first pick, I WILL disown them)
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't think we need a WR.
  12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Got some tough decisions: Curry would be outstanding in starting to build the Defense. But that means we have to depend on Backus another year until next years draft to get one at the top of the draft. But, that means we miss out on one of the 3 "franchise" QB's graduating and we wouldn't have the 2nd 1st round pick like this year. Which means we still have Backus in the 2010 season to protect our new QB.
  13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

The lions can only trade their #1 to someone in the top ten, simply because of the amount of money that is handed out there.

Curry would be the SAFEST and BEST choice at #1. But they would be stupid to take Matthew Stafford.

Just wait one year and take Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy? Lions already have Dante Culpepper and Drew Stanton.
  14. jammertime

Or Tim Tebow! I watch almost no college ball, but I have seen a bit of his games and I've liked what I've seen.

I'd love to see them take Curry there. Although Jason Smith would be nice, I think that LB is a MUCH bigger need than LT. Curry and Sims would make an excellent OLB tandem.

I know that everyone hates Backus around here, but he's serviceable and we can get a decent T with a later pick.

FIX THE D!!!!
  15. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Tebow isn't even a projected qb. Scouts are projecting him as a tight end. He's too much of a runner to be considered qb.
  16. jammertime

Common Buck, who are you going to believe? These so called "Scouts", or someone that doesn't watch any college football and based his assessment on a few minutes of game tape?:eyebrows:
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can you say 0-16, Season II?
  18. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Ok, 0-16 season II LOL. At the rate they are "building" this team, they have a strong shot at beating the Bucs winless record.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This guy was considered a passer.:loser: :nod:

[​IMG]

This guy too...

[​IMG]
  20. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

#1 - Curry
    #20 - Raji/Peria
    #33 - Smith/Delmas
    #65 - Barwin/Robinson