What was Joe Dumars Best Move?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 3, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tay, this is the thread where we are talking about the good moves. I don't think Corliss was a bad move. I am not sure it was great, but at the time it seemed to work. The NBA has changed quite a bit since that time.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Joe displayed his best moves while defending MJ.
  3. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

The list is certainly long. I bet many GMs would love to have made one-half the positive impact on their organizations.

I'm surprized there aren't more mentions of signing Mr. Big Shot.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I have a suggestion for Joe's future next best move. I wonder how many people remember how Chuck D stared down Atlanta and got them to blow a ton of money on John Koncak? SPORTS PEOPLE: PRO BASKETBALL; Pistons Make Offer To Hawks' Koncak - New York Times

Well, I suggest Joe does the same to Orlando. Supposedly, they have said they will match any and all offers for Darko. They are resigning him, and they are even dumping BHill to make Darko and Dwight happy. So, Joe offers Darko a near max contract, and forces Orlando to match, and screw up their cap space for the near future because of the money they have to pay Darko and Dwight.

The only problem (unless you're a DHOFer :pound:) would be if Orlando says no, and then we have to sign Darko for a near max deal.
  5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'd say that's a fairly significant problem.

Although there are a lot worse things than locking up a 7'1" guy who can play some (and is younger than Drew Neitzel) to a long deal.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is actually an interesting play. We know Darko doesn't want to come back here, so there is a very strange dynamic to it. It would be like trying to rig an auction.
  7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

But would he be against it with a different coaching staff (Not LB) and an actual prominent role available?

Yeah probably still wouldn't like that. :lecturer:
  8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Billups was the best MLE signing of all time.

Sheed was that always talked about, but almost impossible "trade that puts you oer the top".

He traded a near broken down swingman for a up and coming multiple all-star.

Ben Wallace.

You pick.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

To ensure the deal works to plan, I suggest the Pistons announce they have signed LB to an assistant coaching position prior to making the offer. :stirthepot: :nerd2:
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, the Pistons have implemented a 10PM curfew that includes the offseason.
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Along with the 10 PM curfew they need to ban all hair dying products.

No, we sign LB to 'Lead Consultant for International Player Development' and make it VERY PUBLIC :pound:
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Speaking of nightmares...

Orlando is re-signing Darko (according to Roscoe)
    Orlando is firing Brian Hill (according to BBall J)
    LB is looking for a job (according to Hoopshype.com)

They could probably make a reality show out of it.
  13. mikhail1973

I don't think Magic is going to try to sign Brown.

:outtahere:

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This may sound crazy... but I think kwame will be a solid player before the curtain is pulled.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is the trade I would vote for. We turned garbage into gold. Indeed, all the transactions that transformed that 32 win team into a 50 win one deserve mention. This is from memory, so correct anything I get wrong.

We picked up the rights to Zelly Rebraca from Toronto, a team that could not sign Zelly to a contract. The trade was minor, the fact we talked Zelly into trying the NBA out was the big part. Zelly gave us quite a backup center, one who had great post up moves and who could defend very well. Talking about blocking out. Zelly was not happy unless he managed to block out two players.

Back to Uncle Cliffy. Carlisle called him our best player. Why? Every other pick set was set by Cliff. He was our 2nd leading scorer in his first year with us, and remained our 2nd leading scorer for a while to start the next season. (Of course, Rip and Billups became our top two that season before long.) On rebounding, Cliff had bad numbers, but he did always manage to block a player out to help the next guy get the bound. Ben was putting up some real good numbers with Cliff starting along side him.

Got to mention the Alternatorz when you talk about Cliff. Although a starter, he was also the chief starter who played with the sub unit. His outside shooting was a great compliment to the combo of Corliss and Zelly working inside. And Zelly and Cliff formed a combo of excellent defenders at the bigs positions, similar to what we see these days with Dale Davis and Jason getting paired up. Zelly and Cliff were really the only two good defenders on that 2nd unit, but yet that 2nd unit so often beat the other team for you with defense. (And they were also the bench unit that scored the most points that season.)

I believe we traded Cleaves for Jon Barry? (Or was it indirectly)Barry was pure energy, moving very well with and without the ball. Similar to Delfino in this respect. Although remembered mostly for his deadly outside shooting, (Which again complimented the inside game) it was really the ball handling side of his game that made the Alternatorz work so well. He had been a teammate of Corliss with Sacramento, and these two in particular had a great knack for making plays inside work.

Damon Jones was signed as a free agent. Yet another outside shooter. He was good at defensive rotation, and good at guarding the perimeter. His main fault was allowing dribble penetration, but with Cliff and Zelly behind him, oh well, let them try. It worked out quite well. Damon was also a pretty solid ball handler, and combined with Jon Barry, they managed to get the ball into the post pretty much as often as they felt like. They worked very well as a pair, each moving well without the ball, such that one or the other always managed to get into position to have an angle to feed the post.

Corliss was already here, since midseason the year before. But that was a Dumars trade too. Corliss for the Junk Yard Dog. Corliss could score inside with the very best in the league. Playing with a unit consisting of five scorers, you could not double team him. His defense was not great to be sure, yet he did add a lot of strength inside. Light on rebounding, but he was playing along side Zelly who made up for it. (And Ben too of course)

Just for completeness. We started Atkins and Ben from the Hill deal. Stackhouse was here already and starting at shooting guard. Cliff was starting at center in those days, and Ben was called the power forward. The starting unit was rounded out (or dragged down actually in my opinion) by one M. Curry, a retread who had seen his better days on his first stint with the Pistons. (He was a fan favorite, including this fan, during his first stint with us.)
  16. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Excellent post. Can't disagree with any of that.

Curry would have been an excellent 15-20 min a game bench/glue guy, not a 30 to 35 min a game guy.
  17. mikhail1973

I think maybe 10-15 min a game? I mean Hunter looks like Kobe in comparison with Curry.
  18. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'll agree with your nitpick.

I was just saying he could have been a good (vet/bit player) helping Tay instead of taking his mins.
  19. mikhail1973

I agree. I am talking about less minutes because that's how it seems Pistons bench has been playing.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Can we make the list sticky?