What Would You Do With Darko?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TBird, Sep 1, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Just wanted to throw a question out to everyone. If you were Flip, how would you use Darko? Would you continue to try to make him into a traditional NBA post-up Center (a la LB)? Would you try to use him more like Toni Kukoc (almost as a SF)? Would you put him at the top of the key a la KG and run the offense through him there to take advantage of his passing skills?

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Suggest Use of Darko

It seems to me that he should be used to run the offense through. In that way, the fact that he is already a good passer gives us a focal point for the offense. He has to draw people to him because of his height and the fact that they will see him as an inexperienced player that they can pressure into giving up the ball quickly. Then, he will be free to hit open men all over the floor.

He would really have to work on keeping the ball safe, and then, during the times he does not give it up, drive hard to the rim. If he protects the ball and sees the floor well, he will be a significant contributor.

I would also consider starting him, ala the way James Edwards was used during the earlier title era. If he gets a good start, leave him in for a good period. If he does not, take him out and make sure he knows he is going back in, thereby keeping his confidence level up.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The trick is, who would you start him over?

4. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Something I saw alot...

It seemed to me that in almost every game the other teams players exposed the fact that Darko didn't have the greatest grip on the ball. Alot of strips or knock aways. Most were from the baseline, but it's all about the hands. If he can get and keep the ball and doesn't buy into thinking he HAS to score to be good then I'd like to see the O ran through him...sometime.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Darko

I'd like him to still stay close to the basket and use his size that way...LB had the right idea. Just not so close to the basket that his dunks get blocked by the rim.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh that's just cruel. :pound:

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Now this takes courage, but . .

I would give a try to starting him ahead of Ben. For one, thing, starting a seven footer there, one who can jump, would give us the chance of getting the tip and getting into our offense quicker.

It would also give us the option of putting Ben in for Sheed or Tayshaun instead of DMC if DMC got off to a good start and one of the other two got off badly.

Or he could start ahead of Sheed because how often does Sheed have a hand in our quick starts? And how often did we have quick starts?

It seemed that we were always having to come back from being down in the first quarter and in the first half. Anything to mix things up at the beginning can help. And if DMC gets off to a poor start, who better to come in than Ben or Sheed, knowing that we need something specific.

I realize I will not have much support for this theory but I think it is a way to change our whole start and it worked with James Edwards, as well. I always liked that strategy. It has to be a comfort for the coach to know that he has someone even better than Dice to bring in early.

8. j0ker6

j0ker6 Second Round Draft Pick

I'd like to see him earn his sub minutes before giving him starting minutes. Although I wouldn't be against seeing him start against bad teams.

As far as how I would like to see Flip use Darko... well I'd like to see Darko play for more than the last minute of a game. Like some more minutes in the 2nd quarter when the subs are in. See how he plays when his play actually matters.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'd like to see him running the break with arroyo or delfino in the middle. if that doesn't develop the offense should be ran through mcdyess and darko's main job should be to clean up the offensive boards. basically run no plays for him until mid season. openly tell him his scoring will come from cleaning up the offensive boards and running the break. eventually i see the offense being ran through him. his passing is too good and his size and skill will make teams have no choice but to double team him especially if he goes low. he will make the whole second team better because he's unselfish. oh yeah. first play after he comes into the game is his ala ben wallace.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Interesting topic.

I think we have to use him primarily as the backup center... with McDyess having a trade kicker Darko won't be taking over his spot anytime soon.... I don't think Darko is quick enough to defend the transition game of a SF or out on the wings.

I envision this season as Darko playing around 8 to 10 minutes backing up Ben.
    I'd like to see him be used similar to Divac... he has demonstrated good court vision... hold the ball high and survey the defense...he can find the cutters.
    If they don't flash open... and nobody doubles down on Darko... the choices are
    1) Turn and shoot over your man (up to 18' out)
    2) Back your man down inside using your body to gain seperation
    3) Face up and take him either way to the hole (ala Gasol)

BTW, if you select the "quick response" you can get more text formating options by selecting the advance button.

11. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

This is probably my favourite topic since my friends are all Darko-bashers and I'm the only one who still has hope in him. (Not to mention I'm one of two Torontorians who love the Pistons).

Quite frankly, Darko is not going to get as much playing time as everyone is believing. It'll be a LOT more than what Larry Brown offered him but nothing significant enough to weary a drastic change in Darko's play.

He will get better playing around 8-10 minutes like mercury said (much like Jermaine O'Neal did in Portland his first year); however, to hope that he'll be a huge playoff impact player...it just won't happen.

Dumars took in a project and that's what Darko will be. Although the process is a little more slowed down then what we predicted, all we can do now is continue to cheer him on as he slowly now begins to be driven towards the right direction.

I predict Darko to back up 'Sheed at PF, sharing minutes with Dice. Towards the end of the season if he gets a lot better those minutes will stay, if not they'll be cut back. Sadly enough we won't really see Darko at his best until his contract year comes...that's when its up to him to prove if he's been cut out to be a Piston or not.

He wants to play, now he's being given the opportunity. Its just up to him to step up his game (ala stripped balls, rebounding and scoring like everyone is saying).

12. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

Darko to Start, but not just yet!

DMC will begin to evolve this year. He will get some PT; gain back his confidence; find his niche; become all that we had hoped for all along. As for whether he will be a post-up center....I think he will go through many different phases or facets, if you will as he becomes one of the most solid players in the league.

Yes, at some point, as some of the veterans age a bit, Darko and others will start, and players, Like Ben and 'Sheed will come off the bench.

13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

difficult task- he always described himself as a Garnett- like player. But Joe drafted him because of his size. And a good- sized center is probably more worth than an oversized forward- just look at Dirk or KG.
    But Darko needs to be played where he can opt out his full potential- but as we now know his shot- blocking, he'll probably feel comfortable under the basket. At least I hope so and if he ends up as SF, he was a more wasted pick than everyone thought.

14. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Well hopefully his confidence wasn't totally destroyed and if that's the case he should earn his minutes off the bench.You really have to love the fact of CB speaking up for this kid that shows alot I think about this team and how the players JoeD put together bonded.He's still a kid basically and being in a new country getting knocked down by your coach when it's perceived by your teammates how well you do in practice it's gotta creep into the ol' head,hopefully he shakes it off. This is his year to take some steps forward.

15. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I think that Joe and Flip should try to keep Darko at the center spot. To have a mobile, skilled 7 footer playing the center is a valuable thing in the NBA. That's why he was a top draft pick.

I also like the idea of having the "2nd unit" running the break. Arroyo, Delfino, Evans, Darko, and maybe Maxiel... but wait...

I also think that Darko needs to get some time in with the regulars... instead of scrap time with 4 other guys who don't play often... maybe Flip will do that.

16. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

darko

imo,
    Darko should come off the bench and work on being a defensive stopper.
    Let him earn his point's on the O glass and fast breaks.
    When he's earned his keep on defense,only then incorperate him into the offense at the 3,4 and 5.Let his play dictate where you use him.Be up front with him and tell him to earn his minutes.I think thats all he want's.

17. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

What I would do with Darko

There is three things I would do with Darko. The first thing would be to give him some serious minutes off the bench. Not taking minutes from Antonio but Ben, Rasheed, and Tay. The second way I would play Darko would be to start him occasionally when we have back to back games. Whenever we have back to back games, I would often try to give Ben or Rasheed a night off to save their legs for the playoffs. The third way I would play Darko would be to give him some serious minutes when we go on a westcoast trip, thus helping out Ben, Rasheed, and Tay when the season becomes a grind.

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Darko the Super Sub

Seems to me this guy could be versatile. Why not spell Tay with Darko once in a while? Think about the matchup problems caused by a 3,4 and 5 of Darko, Sheed and Big Ben? Ideally, though, wouldn't Dale Davis spell Ben, Dyess spell Sheed, and Evans/Maxiell spell Tay? Geez, I'm actually beginning to feel this team is loaded. It's all up to the coach now. Ol Flip is in for the toughest human jigsaw puzzle of his life. I hope he's up to the task.

19. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

What I would do with YKW

I would play him till his tounge hangs out. In pre-season that is. Find out what he can and can't do against what would be his best competition yet. I would ignore him and intentionally look the other way each time he messes up. Give no further excuses. I would make him my offensive centerpiece in a handfull of set plays out of time outs. Then after each game he and a coach would break down film in a highly critical fashion. Lastly tell him what his opportunity will be in the next game to improve. That way we all exit pre-season with no misconceptions of how he may contribute.

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko Polo

I'd still like to see Darko earn his minutes, but he also shouldn't be afraid to make a mistake as he has been since joining the Pistons.

I don't think he's a lost cause yet, he just hasn't been given enough opportunities to make a fair assesment either way.

So far, I've liked everything that has happened this offseason as it relates to Darko.

- His biggest detractor, Brown, is gone
    - They brought in a more "young player friendly" coach
    - They picked up his option well in advance
    - Billups spoke out in his favour
    - They drafted a beast of a man in Maxiel and brought in another veteran big in Davis that should motivate Darko (much in the same way that the Lion's adding Garcia should help Harrington)

I'm looking forward to seeing what this season brings...