What's the Use of Joe Drafting If The Players He Drafts Never Plays

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 7, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I know this will open up a ferocious Darko debate here, but it is a very valid argument.

Some think that the Pistons had a poor off-season. I don't neccessarily buy into this.

You have Amir J & JMax seemingly ready to contribute and/or bust out at any given minute if they are utilized properly and can get on the floor.

If we continue to draft on don't play these guys, we will never find the proverbial diamond in the rough.

Case in point.....Tayshaun, the ONLY reason we found out how good a player he could be, is because Rick's boy was in foul trouble. Who know's Tay may just have been glued to the bench forever.

The reason Joe didn't go after the marquee guy through a trade or free agency is maybe he finally heard the knock on the door.

"Step into the light Joe, Play your young guys", "Give them a Chance". You may even lose a step at the beginning of the season, however, you are giving your young guys some serious burn and to see what they can do.

A lot of the players we are salivating over were the JMaxs' & Amirs of the basketball world however, they were on teams that were not very good at one time, as a result they played and got the experience and the stage to display their skills so folks like us could wish that they were on our team.

Unlike another player we all know and love, these guys (AJ & JMAX) look like they genuinely want to play and are motivated to do whatever is neccessary to earn some minutes.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: Delfino Tracker (Argentina NT)

yeah. bronze medal talent. delfino is playing with gold medal talent.

i fully expect mo evans to do well in l.a. he can play the role george played. kobe will get him lots of wide open 3's. i think delfino will have a fine year this year and i'll admit it if he plays the whole year and doesn't get minutes. if jmax or another young player gets minutes. that way i'll know it's not just young player bias.

i'm curious to know who will be big enough to admit how petty they are when delfino and darko play well this season. no more against euro players so it doesn't count, against atlanta so it doesn't count, it's the preseason so it doesn't count, it's for orlando anybody can put up numbers in orlando.

3. bball jay

let's see how they feel in year 3 of rotting on the bench. plus amir had the nbdl to get his frustrations out. you were doing good until you took that unneeded shot at darko. darko dropped 23 and 10 last game he played i think he geniunely wants to play.

there is no way of "earning" minutes. i wish people would stop using that company line. it will hopefully change this year but the last few years minutes have been set in stone and it went on seniority and coaches like/dislike not about earning.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'll stand by the notion that Joe got what he wanted this off-season. WE the fans may be disappointed but if the rumors were true, we'd have gotten Flip Murray anyway. Right now we have BW contingency...Nazr AND the bench scoring help.

We NEED more interchangeable parts. Hopefully we have achieved that. It may look like the talent level may have gone down but maybe it just got spread out over more players. I think that THAT would be the biggest gain. If the piston can field a 3 guard rotation with Lindsey doing spot minutes at point, then it will be a strong step forward.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't care if darko puts 25/10/10 a night in orlando. he half-arsed it here so peace out don't let the door hit ya.

6. max

max All-Star

He wasn't putting up numbers there. His points/rebs were sub-par for his minutes of play in Orlando.

7. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree. Also, we now have "nine guys", the starting five plus lindsey, dyess, flip, and dupree. I won't include Delfino because I don't think flip is in his corner. This will be a major rub between flip s and joe d. Don't expect to see any of the young guys play again this year. I personally don't get it.

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko's numbers in Orlando are almost identical to Dice's in Detroit, are you saying Dice's numbers are sub par?

Darko-20.3 mpg, 4.1 rpg, 7.6 ppg, 2 bpg, 1.1 apg
    Dice-21.2 mpg, 5.3 rpg, 7.8 ppg, 0.5 bpg, 1.1 apg

I wouldn't be suprised to see Darko putting up better numbers than Sheed next year.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Absolutely agree, but I just read an interview with Drew Henson, he's going through a similar thing in Dallas, and he had a great response to a question, which I hope our young guys get to hear (and wish Darko and Delfino had heard earlier).

(paraphrasing) He was asked how he felt about Parcells basically announcing that there would be no competition and Tony Romo was the backup. Drew said, all he can do is play well enough to force Parcells to notice and have a competition.

Basically, it's not good enough for him to be better, he has to be 10x better to replace a guy the coach likes, and he's going to try and do it.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It will now that the starting 5 has a crack in it. It's unfortunate that this might be the only way the bench plays.:ohwell:

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I would.

12. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Okay, we need to be realistic.

I am as disappointed as the next guy that our young players can't seem to get any playing time.

However: Aside from Darko. We haven't had very good draft position. Even guys drafted in the late 1st round are not guaranteed to make the NBA.

Let's do the math. 60 new players each year. 15 spots on each team's roster. 30 teams. That's 450 players in the NBA technically, and each year we try to force 60 more into spots that may or may not exist. And potentially 60 players each season who are FA's.

So let's say team A drafts the #1 player in the draft, and he is guaranteed to make the team. That means someone else on team A is out of work. So team B drafts late in the draft, and drafts for "best available player". Team B still needs to fill a hole at a certain position, and team A just released a player with NBA experience, that can be had for cheap. So team B send its rookie to the DL and signs the FA.

What I am trying to say, is that the odds are against all rookies, or young players in general. And for the ones who get drafted late, it is even more so.

We can blame the coach, or the team, or the system itself... but really it's just basic mathematics. Which is why the NBADL is around to help catch the good players who may be forced through the cracks.

13. bball jay

is it a tracker thread or a crap on any young player that wants to play for the pistons. misused young pistons will always be forever intertwined with darko. he is the ultimate in misuse of talent by an organization.

we keep treating our young players like this delfino won't be a piston anymore and we won't be able to talk about him in threads either. this isn't a mo evans thread either.

14. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks Superstarov, that's what I was trying to say, but just couldn't articulate it in a way that was easy to understand.

Everytime a player gets drafted especially in the first round, and the guy who is drafted in the middle who is that tweener who may possess the potential to be really good (a sleeper) may get lost in the sauce. Because #1, if you are on a playoff seasoned team with 5 starting vets and a pretty decent backup at every position, when are you going to get time, if you are on a team thats consistently winning with 3 good starters and 6 excellent backups, where are you going to fit in?

So at this point, this is when a good GM might say, we are not going to pick up any FA's or trade for anyone because we have these draftees with a load of potential that we have to play.

It's a dog eat dog sport, I guess that's why you have some guys who will never reach their peak until they have been in the NBA for 10 or more years.

15. bball jay

you left money out of the math equation. those young players are really good deals for the first 3 years of thier contracts. if you can get impact from a guy on a rookie contract that's gravy. look at tay and wade.

winning also brings in more money. if a young player can help you win this year or the next you do what it takes to get him on the floor. if a young player puts the butts into the seats put him on the floor. if he gets you on sportscenter and gets the team exposure put him on the floor. yes there are only a certain amount of spots but a lot of them are taken up by darvin ham, cato, dale davis, micheal curry, earvin johnson, lindsey hunter, derrick coleman, horace jenkins, anthony goldwire, mateen cleaves and the list goes on.

16. Superstarov

I agree with what you said, I think. But winning brings in more money...

I think we just saw the effects of the win now strategy. We won a lot of games, AND our young guys barely played. I doubt that any of the fans at the Palace came specifically to see one of the young guys. They may have came, wondering if they'd get to see young guy X play, but they still came because they are Piston's fans. And the Pistons set a franchise record for wins.

Do I agree with it? I don't know. But I do know that playing young guys isn't going to gaurantee any wins. And you can't have it both ways.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Sometimes these bench players have something in their game thats better than a starter. Tayshaun was better than Curry we never knew until he was given a chance.

Now i'm not saying a bench player is going to be better, but if a starter is doing bad give the guy a chance. If you do that you might see more wins.

I'm all in for winning now, but obviously riding the starters for 82 games, and the playoffs didn't work. Now that Ben is gone our starting 5 is weaker so that gameplan will definantly not work this time. It's time for a 8-10 man rotation.

18. Superstarov

I know/hope you're right.