What's the worst that can happen to the pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I have been trying to see from non Pistons fans point of view for the past week or so, but the only thing that really could go wrong with this team is our new coach Flip Saunders. Still though it's the players that decide the game and we still have the best starting 5, and flip is only going to make the bench better. So overall shouldn't we just be an even larger threat to the other top contenders?
    P.S. Preseason starts October 11th
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Knock on wood, a serious injury to one of our starters, or two starters being out at the same time would screw things up.

Getting away from our trademark tough defense.
    Getting sloppy with the ball.
    Flip Saunders flirting with his dream job in Roanoke.
    Darko breaking his hand on the rim.
    Lindsey Hunter as the 3rd guard (bball jay calls him the "runstopper")

Seriously, my big question mark is Chauncey Billups. He needs to provide leadership. They brought in a coach he is familiar with, Joe brought in his pal Dice last year. Joe is building this team around CB, not Ben and Chauncey needs to step up and be a leader and foundation EVERY single night.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes the injuries would be killer, but I don't think players on our team escpecially Ben Wallace, Tayshaun, and Lindsey are going to lose their defense. I mean almost all our players had a lot of cracks in their road to and in the NBA, and that made them a lot tougher especially when they all came together on 1 team. Also I'm not worrying to much about Billups because I think LB taught Chauncey something thats going to stick with him for the rest of his career. I mean look at Iverson doesn't he look greater than any of his other seasons even his MVP year with LB there.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Knock on wood, but with our depth the Pistons could handle a lot of injuries this year, except one. McDyess has got to stay healthy, havent seen enough of Jmax to believe he's ready to be a back up PF.

2nd worst thing would be an injury to Darko. After all he's been through, a bad injury might crush any hope there is for him not to be a bust.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons depth

Someone made a nice analysis of the Pistons depth a few weeks. The Pistons are probably the deepest team in the NBA when you look at players #10-#14. After McDyess, the Pistons have huge question marks with players #7-#9. Sure, there is potential there, but if a starter goes down, now you have very little experience from your reserves.

The key for the Pistons this season, in my opinion, is how much the second unit can contribute. At this point, we don't even know which players will be a part of that rotation.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Worst thing that could happen to the Pistons

Is to lose to the Heat. I like Shaq alright, but he has had his day. And I have never liked Antoine. He has so much talent that he has just wasted over his career. Beat the Heat, make it to the Finals, and I will call it a success for Flip's first year.
  7. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Worst thing.....

They all decide to hold out and not play unless given better contracts :doh:
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

well..to be honest

..anything less than a championship this year would be considered a worse case scenario. I agree that health will play a large part in our success again. I'm sure Mr. Kander has the boys ready though. :)
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

ooooooh man Wave, that's pretty insightful my man. I think he has it in him though. Pound for pound Chuancey is a beast dude. Don't even try to tell him he can't take to any one of his peers on any given night, he knows it and guess what.....so do his peers. Arenas and Iverson have mad respect for Chuancey's game as well as Frenchie. Chauncey is aas confident in his game and skills as Sam 'ET" Cassell is in his, and Sam may have the biggest head in the league, figuritively and literally. Rip and Sheed have the same attitude, and if somehow we can get Tay to realize that, then we have a winner, Ben already feels that pound for pound he's the toughest dude in the league.
  10. roscoe36

KGREG,

I know he has it in him. I also know that Ben has it in him to hit more than 50% of his FTs. Like I know that Darko has it in him to be a beast in the paint and two hand slam on every weak punk he backs down.

But they gotta do it. No more talk. No more whining to the refs and taking nights/quarters off. CB has to lead, kick some butt and establish a tone that everyone else on the squad knows they have to live up to night in and night out.

CB as you said has a lot of respect from all of his peers. That puts him in the unique position of being able to parlay that respect into command authority.

Let's see what happens.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Some of you folks are expecting a bit much from the Pistons, in my opinion. Lots of things can happen. Some can be anticipated and some not.

Personally:

(1) I feel fairly confident that the pistons WILL return to the conference finals.

(2) I feel confident that the Pistons are very CAPABLE of winning the NBA championship.

(3) I just think it is much too early to EXPECT this from them before the preseason has even started. Whether we like it or not, there are about 30 other teams who want it just as bad, and a couple of them MAY be every bit as talented or more talented than Detroit.

I've said it before but we came just as close to winning the NBA championship last year as we did to losing in the Eastern Conference finals. Yes, we arguably improved...as did a few other very good teams.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I like it up here in the clouds. :)

Personally, I think it is fine to raise expectations. We are a championship franchise. The Yankees expect to win every year. The Red Wings expect to win it every year. ..and with these Detroit Pistons I think its Championship or bust. Our team has tremendous chemistry, youth, and talent. Why not? Winning a championship is indeed a rare and amazing task. That is why when you put a championship team together, the pressure intensifies as you want to take advantage of the window of opportunity while its still there. Our players are still relatively young and I am sure they would love to go down as one of the greatest teams/dynasties ever. We have a reason to be excited. We aren't talkin' about the Lions. :) So, I think I'm going to hang out on this cloud and enjoy the ride while I can because we've been waiting since 1990 to get back into this position. ...and I like it! :)
  13. Darth Tater

I totally agree with your assessment of the team's talent. Yes, I also think they should definitely make every effort to win while they have the chance. I just don't agree that anything less than a championship would be considered an unsuccessful year because so much can happen from now until next June.

I sure do hope you are right, though. :first:
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't think the Pistons will complain to the refs as much because if you have not heard the news already lb has moved to NYC
  15. Darth Tater

I think the complaining was mostly due to Sheed (whom I happen to like) and not to LB (whom I don't happen to like).
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Why are some people scared about that Euro guy coming to the Pacers. I mean he might have a good 3, but I think if Tay can shut down Kobe than he can shut down this guy. Also isn't the European 3 closer to the basket than the NBA 3?
  17. Darth Tater

From what I've heard he is supposed to be good and will improve their team.

As far as being "scared" of him, I'm not sure what you are referencing, but I can't imagine the Pistons are too worried.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

European guy

We should be as afraid of their European guy as they should be of our European guy.

The biggest impression that I have from watching him is that he is a really intense competitor. He has the passion that we would all like to see from Darko, Delfino, etc.

However, we can always put Lindsay or Tay on him if he gets hot. :flame:
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I never thought the Piston players were scared. I heard some callers on a talk radio show saying how "amazing" this guy is.
  20. roscoe36

European Guy

Google is your friend.

First of all, SarunasJasikevicius is not just "some European guy".

He's the best player from Europe. He was excellent in the Olympics.

He's not just some European guy, which is what you could Darko as the 12th man on the Serbian National Team.

SarJar has twice won the Euroleague championship leading Maccabi Tel Aviv, the same squad that will be competing against NBA teams in the preseason.

He's twice All-Euroleague 1st team, and the reigning 2005 Euroleague Finals MVP.

He's won 3 gold and 2 bronze medals in international play dating back to his junior squads. He was the Eurobasket 2003 tournament MVP, the same tournament Darko is in this year with other NBAers like Dirk Nowitski and Tony Parker.

Yeah he's an NBA rookie, but at 29 years old, has more credentials than almost anyone to come over from Europe except maybe Arvydas Sabonis or Drazen Petrovic.

He will play, and can play. He's the best Europe has to offer in a veteran transfer to the NBA. He makes Indiana a better squad.