What's wrong w/ the Pistons, and how to fix it

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Feb 15, 2009.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Hard for me to disagree with McCosky's assessment of Iverson. It turns out that LB was right after all about Iverson. The scuttlebut was that LB never thought he could win it all with Iverson, and that was one of the reasons he left Philly to coach the Pistons. AI is a great player and a certain hall of famer. But he is a one-dimensional player whose game is very different from the team game the Pistons developed over the past six years. That said, if McCosky was being honest about the shortcomings of the Pistons this season, he would have had to comment on Curry's waffling and indecisiveness about lineups -- and his in-game coaching mistakes. Curry's mistakes and endless shifting of lineups have not only cost the Pistons some victories but also demoralized the team. So I agree with Roscoe that somebody in the organization let McCosky know, directly or indirectly, that it was okay for him to skewer Iverson and to hold him responsible for the Pistons woeful performance this season.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm not really seeing the big deal. Sheed has been ripped apart; Rip was ripped apart in the press for the quote he made regarding coming off the bench. At one time or another every player has gotten the "you are a problem" edit. Whether AI likes it or not, he's a "franchise player" so he's going to get credit for the success and blamed for the failure, comes with the territory. I don't think that article was meant to be a comprehensive piece about everything that is wrong with the Pistons; just an acknowledgement that from a player standpoint, the trade was a bad move. He's been pretty coddled thus far by the press. It was only a matter of time we go tone of these articles in light of how bad things are going.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I just re-read this article and title aside, I don't think it is all that damming towards AI. I thought there were some decent insights into what ails the Pistons this season and it seemed to point fingers in all directions.

We can pummel people all day as long as it isn't the little "tough" guy.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

One of the reasons AI is treated so well and not persecuted by either the press or forum members (despite what some persecution complex AI supporters might say) is that he works harder than anyone and doesn't take plays off, even on defense.
  5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

No question, he does bring it every single night.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lpg, it's not about AI. It's about business as usual.

Remember when Ben left? He was holding back the Pistons offensively. We needed someone who could shoot free throws. He was a malcontent who undermined Flip and challenged his leadership.

Everything was going to be better by making 3 guys captains and bringing in a quiet and lower profile Nazr, who could hit FTs.

My point is, this is the passive aggressive way the Pistons deal with controversy and struggle. When things get tough, they point fingers. It wouldn't matter that it is AI. I suspect there is a very good chance it will be Sheed by year's end. And if it is and Sheed is in SA competing for a title next year, just as Ben is competing for a title in Cleveland this year, and we're struggling with THEY GOOD, will anyone still be buying it?

As PL said, articles like this that single out a player, they get greenlit by someone. McCosky doesn't have the stones to take on AI all on his lonesome, and like it or not, the title is what is going to be read by millions of people, not necessarily the whole article. And these guys aren't stupid, they know that.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If only we didn't have those technicals this year, we'd be a contender. Only one way to fix that.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I can't tell if this is sarcasm.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I see what you're saying, but there's not really a strong comparison between the two situations for me (or the "business as usual" situation). Ben Wallace was the face of the franchise, he helped build this entire run, etc and the rip job on him was terrible. This isn't even close to anything like that. After re-reading the article it's fairly tame and doesn't even really rip AI apart.

I realize the organization has a history of "unleashing" venom on a player once their gone, but i don't think it's a hey let's see who we can blame now thing. There hasn't really been a word said about Chauncey since he left.

I don't think this is leading to be like Ben or Flip, and i don't even really think it can be because AI will be (?) here for such a short time. I didn't take it as a blame article; just an article. If there are 7 more of these in the next week, then maybe you're onto something and he is the new scapegoat.
  10. roscoe36

It's early yet. I have been watching this drama for over 20 years.

I can almost guarantee two things. You will not see much serious criticism of Dumars for the roster (including the trade) or Curry.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the article itself wasn't very damning, but the HUGE headline on the front page of the Detroit News Sports section said enough.

it's possible the veterans have mentally checked out because they've seen that dumars views this as a throwaway and are saying f' it as well.
  12. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

I sended a message to chris mckosky whatever his name is, I wont post the message here its against the rules.Good amount of insults and bashing to him lol
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think this happened a long time ago. I don't think Joe D's comments alone did it, but the fact that they no longer have faith that the "team" can get it done.

The one part i can't reconcile this with is that i still see effort which i guess could mean they don't like losing as much as we do, but the we can win it all will has been long gone for awhile.
  14. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I share your anger. Lets see if he responds on Thursday.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As you say, the article was completely lame, not really saying anything to backup the dramatic headline. Look at the game write up tonight on the Miami game, and you will notice McCoskey just happened to pick on a series of bad plays by AI. Sounding all innocent about it. What a crock.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Michael Curry should keep job, but must curb Allen Iverson | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

this is a more objective look, but i can't say i disagree with the article. iverson isn't coming back next year...go back to stuckey/rip starting and at least see how that does for the rest of the season so you can make better assessments in the summer about where this team needs to go. give iverson 25-30 minutes a game off the bench in a supporting role and whatever happens, happens.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amen. Mismanaged.
  18. roscoe36

You give me $11 million a year to clean water bottles.

That makes me sick. People are losing their jobs and homes, and we gotta feel sorry for a guy who has to put in some of his minutes in garbage time.

I don't get how Curry is the one doing the mismanaging, and yet he should keep his job. Seriously, this is beyond me.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's such an easy argument to say that a guy should do anything asked because he is getting paid more than us. Well, Rip has done everything asked.

The point is that he would be better treated somewhere else and he knows it. Why make one of your most productive employees want to leave the organization? Sure, most people would accept a job where they had to scrub each players jock strap with a toothbrush for $500K per year. Does that mean that you would expect Rip to be happy with that? (Rhetorical).

He's been great off the bench and we've gotten much worse as a team. I think that is Rip's main beef. He did what the coach asked, did it well, and it turns out that MC steered the ship the wrong way.

And I agree with Rosenberg, the main reason Rip was the one to come off the bench was because the organization did not think that AI would take it as well. It wasn't because it was the right decision.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think this article is complimentary towards AI. It points out what a hard worker and perfectionist he is.