What's wrong with Chauncey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, May 24, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We already had this similar thread on Tay and Ben, but this isn't the same. Chauncey has had only 1 good playoff game this year. Chauncey I thought only struggled because of Snow (He still should have owned him), but he even sucked against Jason Williams. Chauncey has always been the pg the last couple of years to perform better than other pgs in the playoffs.

2. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Re: Whats worng with Chauncey

I said it in the chat, and I think chauncey peaked in 2004. Yes, he did have the best season of his career this year. But that is the regular season, a completely different animal, mostly taking advantage of weaker teams. In terms of playing ball that wins championships, he hasn't really done it since we won one. He was "okay" last year, and this year... well it speaks for itself.

He's lost just about all confidence in his shot, which makes it even worse.

3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Is it possible for Tay or Hunter to take over temporary PG duties and have CB act like a second shhoting guard? Just mix things up to get him back into the offensive flow.

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

They've been using a Lindsey/CB backcourt on occasion when Lindsey is in, but I guess it hasn't helped him get on track.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

FYI mike james was on the radio today and said he was going to talk to chauncey to light a fire under his ass. that guy has a killer instinct, hopefully he can do some good. james also said he never wants to be a 6th man again so he won't be coming back to detroit, and there's a good chance he'll be back with houston next year.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh and james also said he still thinks the pistons win in 6

7. max

max All-Star

That is a very good question. And its not just his shot. Too many stupid passes and his defense has slipped some.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

His defense is abysmal.

He's being exposed as he was last year in the Finals.

He isn't a good decision maker when plays go awry or on the fast break. When teams key on him exclusively, he can't involve his teammates.

He put up #s this year pretty much on par for a PG in Flip's system.

Vs. Terrell Brandon (both at age 29)

Vs. Sam Cassell (2004)

Vs. Stephon Marbury (age 20)

But here is something that really ticks me off.

This season, despite his reputation as a big shot maker, CB shot worse from 2 than from 3. For the first time in his career. He basically has no off the dribble or post up game to speak of.

Did you know that CB was putting up better playoff #s last year? He had less than 2 TOs per game. This year, 2.38. Shot 45% and 35%. This year? 40% and 36%. Hell, even his APG is lower than last year (6.5 to 6.2).

I'm not telling folks anything different than what they are seeing. But Ben is the "intangibles" guy. Chauncey's game is all about big shots and production.

That's been missing for 6 games.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

CB appears to be in a hitting slump. He is capable of pulling out of it at any time.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Chauncey is going to come back this series and make you all look like a bunch of clucking old hens.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You know C.B. is gonna go off on JWill

12. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I can see J. Will's stupid face already after Chauncey's shots start droppin'

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He just can't suck against Jason Williams. I'm predicting it Chauncey's statline for game 2: 23 Points, 9 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, and 0 TO's.

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Chauncey is simply being arrogant and not trying hard enough. He thinks he has figured out how to run the team and shut up all the LB believers by running the team in the first half and then looking for his shot in the second half.

The problem with this is that he's not taking advantage of the mismatches that are there all game long and therefore forcing us to struggle for no reason. Then not only has he not done what he's supposed to do, he's then banking on the fact that he'll be able to turn it on whenever he feels like it. I, for one, do not like to gamble like that.

Gambling is fun....until you're broke.

15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Seems like a pretty accurate take on the situation. You'd think he has enough pride to quit loafing up the floor when Lindsey Hunter is actually doing a better job running the offense. I mean, Chauncey is getting shown up by a guy who has almost no playmaking instincts but is willing to hustle the ball upcourt and force the defense to move.

16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I have thought all year that we need a PG who can really push the ball at every chance. Someone in the vein of Tony Parker, Barbosa, Devin Harris, etc. Chauncey is slow as all hell, and Lindsey is out of control 95% of the time he turns on the jets. That speedy PG who can really breakdown the D is a big need right alongside a paint scorer (Max?) and a slashing swingman (Delfino?).

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well, if all the above is true, and I suspect it is considering the source, it looks like we can't count on Chauncey to do much other than Bombs Away with that early-in-the-shot-clock-uncontested 3 attempt and pray (on our knees) that he "hottens up" in this series. The good news is that if he gets hot, he can be Mr. Big Shot and Mr. Clutch. The bad news is if he misses them, we waste possessions and give up long rebounds to the opposition.

I'm new at the analysis of the game stuff, so don't slam me if this is all wrong. But unless Chauncey is going to develop the ability to pass into the paint, run the offense, or execute a fast break or do any of the other things that point guards routinely do, why can't he just be a clutch role player? Robert Horry comes to mind with the Big Three, dagger in the heart stuff. Seriously, how did he ever become a point guard? Did he play that position in college ball? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have my fingers crossed that he gets his shot and his confidence back in his shot, and he comes up big for us.:fingerscrI think that is what we could reasonably expect from Chauncey, given his playoff record so far.
    Also, if he can just get his shot back, he may do his other point guard duties better enough to make the difference. :fingerscr

CALLING MR. BIG SHOT! MR. BIG SHOT TO THE 3 PT ARC! TO THE B-B-B-BILLUPS SWEET SPOT! COME IN PLEASE CHAUNCEY! MR. BIG SHOT COME ON DOWN!:fingerscr :nod:

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Too many of us believed the hype that Chancey was the best PG out there, because the team was rolling and when it is, you give props to the pg ala Nash last year.

The problem is that both Chauncy and Joe thought he as the man too evidenced by his arrogant comments prior to the allstar game and then Joes' post trade comments indicating that CB could play 35-38 "effective" minutes at the point and Hunter or tay could spell him when needed.

Despite Arroyo's issues, I think he would have made a difference in these playoffs, so Joe may have made judgement error leaving us weak the point. SG Delk has contributed nothing since game 1 of the Cavs series, so even though we have two allstar guards, our overall guard play may be below the par with the other teams, especially Phoenix and Dallas.

Let's hope we can over come this get 8 more victories!!!!

19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

In hindsight I think so too. The team has no true backup PG. Arroyo may have helped in keeping the offense flowing, with CB completely bailing on the team till now. God knows Lindsey and Delk don't fit the bill.

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Am I the only one who remembers Arroyo standing in place dribbling a ball thirty feet from the hoop until the shot clock was in single digits? He's really good on the break, but not as a halfcourt point in these kinds of slowdown games.