When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Dec 14, 2007.

?

When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

1. Yesterday

73.3%
  2. Today

3.3%
  3. Tomorrow

10.0%
  4. At the all-star break

13.3%
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you could step into Bill Davidson's shoes, when would you pull the trigger on this necessary decision?
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Right after the 2006 season ended abruptly. :gun1:
  3. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Yesterday
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I would wait and see how he handles Stuckey coming back. Bill D.'s hand is not itching to fire a good company man.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

NEVER!!!!!! Flip Saunders is a good man. You can't put a value on a good man, and nothing is worth having a Bad Man as your coach, not even 2 finals appearances and a "ship in 2 years. No, keep Flip, he is a GOOD MAN.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If i were Bill D, i wouldn't have to fire him b/c i would've hired Nate McMillan.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

he Pistons should fire flip when the get someone better to coach the team. Until then get a warm glass of STFU.
  8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Before he was hired.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't think that finding someone better is the issue. I think the Pistons know they made a mistake with this guy. I think they are afraid to let him go. Cola, Brown, and now a third coach with a winning record. I believe the whole public relations angle is the real issue.

I guess I never saw Big Ben's side of this before. Maybe he truly understood then what was happening to this team. Maybe he knew a player revolt was the only way to get rid of Flip. Maybe I'm just reaching...

Flip proved in Minny that he was a very good regular season coach but a terrible coach in the playoffs. Has that changed at all? I think not.

The gutsy move is to go for broke. They need to win the championship if they do decide to let him go. Kind of like when they got rid of Dantley and took a chance on Aguirre. It didn't backfire...but only because they won.

Disclaimer: I am NOT putting Flip Saunders in Dantley's class. I am just trying to make a point.
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think Joe D. should go the local radio and TV and give a warning to Flip. I want a combined 50 minutes a game minimum night in and night out from AA, AJ and Hot Rod or else you can catch the next flight to MN.

:hoops:
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Don't have to do all that now. Joe'd trades speak volumes about what his vision is.
  12. buddahfan

I hope you are correct but Flipper keeps finding excuses so lets see what happens. Don't forget Brezco is bigger than AJ.

So when I see it I will believe it.

13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Poll should have that option which was he never should have been hired in the 1st place. This guy is frickin' nuts, dumb, retard, moron, etc....til he brings the ship back to the Palace.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Yep. Pistons didn't have Brezec and NazMo was already gone before the Atlanta game and all Amir got was a minute after the game was pretty much decided.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Starter

You 'ere a doing same mistake, as people with politicians: they are usually expexted " to pull out a rabbit from hat" and problem gone.

If you thnink that a new coach would play some certain names more, b/c you want it, it is actually wishful thinking

Coaches work is not to play boys based on public demanding, only result woud be a cathastrophe then. See Dice in his Knicks era.
  16. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Who cares about being "good man", I want the finals and if it takes a SOB than so be it.
  17. buddahfan

This is a statement a lot of people make to justify their position of Flipper being a bad coach.

The facts however in my opinion prove just the opposite.

Almost ever year that Flipper took the T-Wolves to the playoffs it was only through is excellent coaching of the team. Teams that should have not even made the playoffs in most years. So when Flipper coached them so well that they did get into the playoffs it was usually with the worst or second worst seed in the playoffs.

So every year there first round games were against teams that either got to the conference finals or the NBA finals including win some NBA titles. So of course his teams were going to lose, because they were playing such a superior team.

The one year that Flipper did get the T-Wolves to the conference finals the lost Sam Cassell for basically the whole series. With him there is no question that they would have beaten the Lakers, due to their playing the right way for the right coach. So Flipper can't be blamed for losing that series. I could imagine us going into the playoffs this year against the Celtics with C-Bill out and us having to use Hunter as our starting point guard.

So the T-Wolves loses in the playoffs can't be attributed solely to Flipper's coaching but mostly to the fact that they were over matched against teams with superior talent in almost all of their playoff series over the years that Flipper was the coach there.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

This post should be stickied!!! :p_welldone::p_welldone::p_welldone:
  19. Darth Tater

So are those "facts" one way facts only?

Did the Pistons not have a superior record to the Cavs & Heat, to whom we lost in the conference finals?

People argued your point prior to "that coach" coming to the Pistons. I was willing to buy into that theory at the time. However, time proved that theory flawed. Look what he's done with an excellent Detroit team.

Explain that one.

Expect more of the same this year. He'll lose to the "superior" Celtics, if he doesn't get knocked out first by the "inferior" Cavs again.
  20. Darth Tater

The coaches job is to get the most out of his team. To outmaneuver the other coach by making the adjustments necessary to win. If it was the fault of the players last year, then why are the same guys in there now?

How many playoff series can this guy lose before the light goes off and people recognize a pattern? The Pistons won the early round playoff series because of their superior talent. They won DESPITE his coaching.