When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Dec 14, 2007.

?

When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

1. Yesterday

73.3%
  2. Today

3.3%
  3. Tomorrow

10.0%
  4. At the all-star break

13.3%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Don't you know by now that when the Pistons win it's all players, but when they lose it's Flip?

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I dont believe coaching chess matches happen in the regular season. I feel that is a playoff thing.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think they do......That's why we don't have Gary Coleman or Jerry Mathers as our coach during the regular season...:)

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That would be valid if there was some amazing strategy that Dolphin pulled that completely dismantled the Celtics game plan. However, the fact is that nice stretch where Lindsey turned them over a couple times and the result was a nice run and some fast break buckets has nothing to do with strategy. It had everything to do with a couple guys making great plays at the right time.

The difference is, you rarely see a strategic move by this team that happens at the right time and leaves the opposition lost as to how to solve it. The perfect play call, a great substitution, taking huge advantage of the perfect mismatch...those are all examples and thing you rarely see with Saunders.

Sure, every once in a blue moon Saunders will hit the right button, but heck, he's an NBA coach. The law of averages dictates that he'll do something right from time to time, but lagging behind for 6-8 pts all game and then getting one great stretch of defensive play does not a HOF coach make.

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It must have been Coach Sheed that decided to insert Hunter rather than Murray.

:hoops:

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i didn't vote on this because i think flip should be given the opportunity to redeem himself one more time. there would be no point in changing the system now, in the middle of the season.

i'm fine with him coaching right now because i think our starters and bench are good enough to take matters into their own hands and win, regardless of who's on the sidelines.

7. Taco John

Taco John First Round Draft Pick

What would qualify as a great strategic move on the part of Saunders? What's an example of what you're looking for?

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I know I started this thread, but I'm starting to doubt myself. The defensive attitude of the team right now is exactly what many of us were nostalgic for. When you hold a team in the 60's, and there was significant garbage time, then you are a team that cares about D.

On top of that, Max and AA seem to have won over Flip Saunders. I have a feeling that Flip is already a big Stuckey fan from the pre-season, and he is at least inserting Amir in at times. As long as there are more games like this last one, where the bench is used to increase intensity, then I'm going to be on Saunders' side.

I don't have a grudge against him, just wanted him to stress D and develop the bench, for the purposes of making the team better and increasing our odds of bringing home another championship. He might be coming around.

9. buddahfan

Did Flipper really say this? I don't believe it.

He did hedge a little by saying "probably", but still.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

10. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Sounds more like the way he was told it would be. Flippers words were strongly the opposite 24 hours earlier.

"There's going to be an adjustment period," coach Flip Saunders said. "He hasn't had contact for two months. We will have to see how it goes. He will practice and go through shootarounds, play some one-on-one and three-on-three and things like that -- maybe he will get some opportunities down the road."
    Saunders said that realistically, he can see Stuckey being ready to assume a significant role until after the New Year."

Maybe Flip ought to clear his interviews through Joe first.

11. buddahfan

I know. That is why I questioned whether he really said the other, because it is so out of character for him to have said that.

It would be nice if he was really starting to think that way.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Flip did play Stuckey in the first game since he was cleared. He could have easily sat him out.

Also, Stuckey himself said that he needs a while to acclimate and that he doesn't have his wind yet (although I'm not sure why he's out of shape at all, since it was only a hand injury).

As far as my comment on AA and JMax winning Flip over, I think I've come to that conclusion from the increased minutes and the quality of the minutes. They are not just playing garbage time, and their minutes are increasing as the season goes on.

AA- 11.2 mpg in November (and some of those games he started in Rip's place). 13.9 mpg in December. His stats improved, which may be why his minutes increased. FG% went from .425 to .563. Reb 1.1 to 2.5. Ast 0.6 to 1.0. And he made 13 out of 14 free throws in Dec! Plus, his defense has been noticably more aggressive... as has Lindsey's. I'm speculating that Lindsey is having some influence on the way that Flip Saunders is appreciating Afflalo's game.

JMax- 22.8 mpg in November and 24.9 mpg in December. His FG% has gone from .494 to .611. Rebounds from 5.5 to 6.8.

My only complaint is that Amir's minutes have gone down slightly from 9.7 to 8.6 per game played while his FG% has increased from .471 to .571. Also, he is blocking 1.4 shots and getting 2.6 rebs in 8.6 minutes. He's an efficient dude. He gets a blocked shot every 7 minutes this year and a rebound every 3.5 minutes. Still, he's getting some minutes and the others are almost fully incorporated. The season is still young.

13. buddahfan

You can't simulate game conditions without contact practices. Running wind sprints is enough.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is a refreshing admittance, contrary to those that have rainbow titles and approach everything as if it were a nail with hammer-in-hand.

I don't mind extreme bias and can tolerate idiosyncrasies bordering on hysteria, but it would be helpful to at least recognize the complexity of things.

If anything the recent miking of head coaches during their talks at half-time exposes is the level of supreme banality. Keeping things at a simple level is a caricature of everyday junior high coach levels...and this does nothing to counteract that level of perception. This is not meant to denigrate the message at halftime. Complicated instructions only confuses most issues and explanations of basic redirection can be mostly handled in one or two pointed, directional phrases.

The real complexity of the situation is never obvious during the game actions, although rote learning sessions can be pre-drilled concerning under-one-minute-game-setups. A multitude of interconnected associations make a team and organization sucessful...most of which we have no privy information about.

Quantity of excessive extremism does not equate to the logic of the domino theory, of one thing directly causing the other to fall because of close partnering.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the thing to remember here is that this time of year IS Flip Saunders time. We tend to get excited with a few wins. I had about 100 complaint laced posts typed up during the BOS game that I didn't bother posting. The fact that they won changed my perceptions of what happened. DET lets far too many teams shoot 50-60% to be a great defensive team. It has been working though.

That being said though, I like that Flip has been bringing in AA at the 4:30 mark or so of the 1st. I wish he would leave him out there until the 8 minute mark of the 2nd. Flip should get kudos for going with Lidsey. That was not a popular decision at the time. He needs to get a 4th big in in the 1st half to trim Dysse's minutes.

16. buddahfan

FGPA
    ------
    1. Boston .410
    2. Pistons .434

3- 30 Everyone else

NBA.com

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Our defense has been fantastic this season. You guys have to realize that Stern was not joking around when he made those rule changes. He wanted teams scoring in the 100's again and he's got it. We're better than Spurs on the defensive end right now. Dyess said this after the Hou win:

18. aircnair06

aircnair06 Second Round Draft Pick

What rules are you speaking of?

19. buddahfan

It seems to me that he might be referring to the rules to curtail hand checking for one.

NBA.com NBA Rules History

20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Christmas Day. Let's steal the Bulls' thunder!