When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Dec 14, 2007.

?

When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

1. Yesterday

73.3%
  2. Today

3.3%
  3. Tomorrow

10.0%
  4. At the all-star break

13.3%
  1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree.

I think................:confused:
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Gotta show Flip some love. The team is playing great, everybody contributing. The bench is coming together nicely, they are really undestanding and flourishing in their roles. The defense has been awesome, and it's almost automatic for us to get double-digit wins versus lesser competition these days. Our losses to the Bulls are our only real bad losses this season. Those 3 games we loss on the road to the Lakers, Kings, and Blazers are not that bad. All 3 of those teams are pretty good at home.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I can give you a short list of things we rarely see from Dolphin:
    • Benching starters that are not performing instead of waiting until we are down big in the fourth.
    • Riding the hot had instead of just call the next play in the vaunted "playbook"
    • Predicating the offense on getting high percentage shots, not just open ones (this becomes HUGE in the playoffs)
    • Emphasis on challenging shots in the paint (of which Maxiell has been the only one aggressive save Sheed on occasion)
    • NOT throwing the majority of our young guys all out there at the same time (although the last 3 games have been an improvement)
    Post season:
    • Not being out coached by lesser coaches
    • Understanding that you have to control the half-court game.
    • Staying on players about giving up layups
    • Making adjustments to offset the defensive gimmicks/schemes of opponents and not just "running our plays"
    • Focus on defending the paint and getting PIP for DET because the jumpshots WILL stop falling in April/May/June.
    Every year this guy has been coaching this team looked great in the regular season, but was severely inequipped to deal in the post season. This season is looking like more of the same and just like in the 64 win season, I was getting hammered for not being happy with the way the team was playing. None of his comments ever give the impression that he understands what needs to happen in order for this team to win late in the playoffs. He only understands how to run his "game." That's great and it always works well in the regular season, but when the gloves come off, his style of play always buckles under pressure. I'm not sold.

I've taken enough of a beating here to know it's not popular, but I could care less what this team is doing between Nov. and Mar. as long as they are properly prepared to kick ass come April and May. Until Saunders proves to me that his coaching style won't continue to flame out year after year, I'm going to stand by my assertion that he is not the guy.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

We didn't see Flipper bench Hayes, even when Hayes was shooting, not very good, to say the least.

Hayes shooting as picked up the last two games.

:hoops:
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah. Totally.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Merry Christmas Flip. Keep up the good work. I know you've been reading this thread and have incorporated all of our great ideas.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

How about playing Amir?
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

But, clearly Hayes is NOT the benchmark (no pun intended) for this.
  9. buddahfan

No pun intended.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, play Amir. And take Herrmann for a test drive.
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

We're winning like the 64 win season, but its been different from day one. JoeD = the difference. So far the plan he outlined 3-days-AC (after Cleveland) is playing out nearly to perfection. When Flips comments go contrary to 3-days-AC it isn't long before his actions fall back in line. Most notably are his comments regarding JMax and Stuckeys PT.

- With Dice, our starters now seem as capable as they were three years ago.
    - Coasting has ended, evidenced by no more talk of an on/off switch.
    - Mike Curry showed up and dribble penetration is far less of a problem. (baseline trap) Coincidence ?
    - We no longer get killed on the boards. Most nights are break even at worst.
    - Maxiell (with some help of the staff) has made himself a necessity. He is steadily becoming a wrecking ball of a weapon (in the paint no less) that no one seems able to counter.
    - Afflalo, a highly complementary player to Max and Lindsey, is testament to Joes edict of developing the youth (one at a time). Stuckey appears on track to be next.

A lot of holes once masked by winning are less problematic.
  12. buddahfan

Very good points.

13. buddahfan

50 YEARS, 50 MEMORABLE MOMENTS

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Today, if Amir Johnson does not play in the rotation, Flip should be fired.

NJ certainly does not have anyone on their team that Brezec matches up with.

Joe Dumars got rid of Mohammed. As I continually review earlier games in the season, it can't be any fresher in my mind all the times Mohammed got minutes where Amir could have been gaining valuable experience.

You can't dummy proof a coach. Brezec should be on the roster. We do need an emergency big. But last game, vs. Houston, with Ming sitting on the bench, Saunders chose to bring in Brezec first, not Amir. Dumars could just trade Brezec, or put him on the inactive list.

But this will not force Saunder's hand. No, he can always move Hayes over to power forward for an extra big - and he has done so rather than play Amir.

I say tonight is his last chance.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Lee I understand your zeal for the Pistons and Amir, however at 20-7, with the Pistons looking deeper and better than they have in a couple of years - you don`t/can`t fire the coach for not playing a young promising player.

Get a hold of yourself!!!!
  16. buddahfan

We all need hugs

[​IMG]

Care2 - Photos - Kitty Hugging Teddybear

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes you can. Dumars fired Carlisle after 2 fifty win seasons. Then he fired Brown after winning it all and coming within a quarter of basketball of winning a 2nd championship. Past success in winning games certainly is no guarantee of keeping a job.

If Dumars wants to win it all this year, then Amir must play, and Dumars knows this. If it takes firing the coach to get this done, then Dumars will do it.

Like he says, he fights complacency every day. Just maybe is tired of fighting with Flip and wants to find a coach on his side. (One who wants to win in the playoffs.)
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Amir plays 8 minutes, but it's only garbage time 4th quarter minutes of a blowout, does Flip still get fired?

What if Amir only plays 1 minute, but it's during the 2nd quarter and the game is still on the line, does Flip keep his job for another day?
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Lee should fire Flip in both of those scenarios. Lee has clearly spelled out to Flip what needs to be done and it's up to Flip to comply.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our arguments are stemming purely from desire vs. reality.

It seems as though we all want to see Amir get PT and develop so that he can provide real value in the Playoffs. We're all on the same page here.

Flip is clearly not satisfying this desire. Same page again.

However, he is doing pretty well with the other young players. Everyone seems to be down with that.

Because of the good job that he is doing in other areas, some of us are willing to live with the 1 defect while others are not satisfied. Some of us actually converted from unsatisfied to pretty satisfied just recently.

It's down to 1 player getting 5 mpg vs 10.

That is the biggest gripe on PF.com right now. Not a bad situation.

We're #1 in the power rankings. We're a lock to make the playoffs. 2nd best D in the leauge (behind a team we beat on their court). No injuries. Vets and youth. GM making solid trades.