When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Dec 14, 2007.

?

When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

1. Yesterday

73.3%
  2. Today

3.3%
  3. Tomorrow

10.0%
  4. At the all-star break

13.3%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Great points, Tay. I also wonder how much development would our beloved LB do?
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Carlisle and LB getting fired IMO, had nothing to do with not playing someone. Carlisle got fired because Dumars wanted LB, and LB got fired because he wanted to go somewhere else (Calm down Low).

So, neither got fired for the reason you are calling for Flip to go.

Saying that we can`t win it all because Amir doesn`t play is (fill in the blank)!!

I see what you are trying to do; if the Pistons don`t win it all, it will be because Amir didn`t get enough PT. I will be waiting anxiously if the Pistons do happen to win the title with AJ getting limited minutes.
  3. mikhail1973

A sign of a genius? :stirthepot:
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, in both cases, he gets fired. The rest of this is to make the post long enough.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Youth priorities:

#1- get Stuckey court time so that he can be the primary backup PG.

#2- Continue to let Maxiell run through the china shop.

#3- Keep developing Afflalo as a defensive stopper, and contributor on offense.

#4- Increase Amir's minutes during meaningful parts of games. Let him learn the system and shake the rookie mistakes.

#5- See what Herrmann can do. Possibly create a little competition for the backup 3 spot.

#6- Give Bresek enough minutes so that we'll know if he can add value in case of injury... or just against big centers.

#7- Samb- Get him back to the D-league I guess. He's so far down the food chain that it really doesn't matter. It would be nice to play him, but not at the expense of 1-6 above.
  6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Development appears to be prioritized in the order of Max, AA, RS, AJ. Obviously RS slipped when injured. As long as there is regular tangible proof that Joes plan is being executed why beef over the itty bitty details. The season is long.

In case no one noticed some major development occurred against the Rockets when we ran three or four consecutive plays to JMax against the former DPOY. That didn't happen by accident. FYI, our 6th man is a blossoming STUD. You can bet Mount Motumbo was none too happy gitting the business like that.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

As much as I dislike Flip, it's impossible to argue that he should be fired. The team is playing better than they ever have under him. CB, Sheed, Dice, and JMax have all improved this year. Flip has to get some credit for that.

He's built the team with the players that he wants, and they are still winning.

And the defense is still tops in the league.

I'm not sure how much of this Flip deserves credit for, but I can no longer say that he's doing anything to hold this team back.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Maybe the solution is to modify Flipper's contract so that:

1. He only coaches pre-season and regular season.
    2. Pound for Pound coaches us during the playoffs.

I think that might be a compromise of sorts.

:hoops:
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

1&3 are a go. 3 is iffy. 4&5 extremely unlikely to happen.

The main problem w/ Flip that seems to be indicative of his playoff failure is that he clings to the wrong player. Afflalo and Amir will be the ones that will help in the type of play you need in the playoffs, but he's stuck on Hayes (who will get exposed defensively) and Brezec (who already got exposed defensively).

Those tendecies make me think he has no clue about what it takes to win when it counts.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK, I had a thought. We all know and understand that a team loses before it wins. Piston fans know like no other that the internal drive needed to become a Champion is found in the bitter losses on the road to a title. What if, just what if....the same is true for coaching. What if those ugly ECF losses for Flip was the proving ground he needed. I believe with everything that's in me the Piston Nation will not be disappointed this summer. We may not win the title, but that crap we saw the last 2 years, ain't goin' down this year.

Remember, we handled the SA loss OK, we gave the Spurs the nod, and vowed to come back. We thought we were on the verge of creating a Bos-LA type Finals rivalry for the 00's. It's not that we hate losing, we just hate losing the Flip way. Well I think Flip is learning how to be a championship coach, he knows that if this team loses the way it did the last 2 years, he's outta here, he knows if he wins, he'll get Pop type tenure in Det. When you look at our rosters age, experience, talent and cap flexibility...this is a dream job for the next 3-5 years.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was certainly true for LB.

In a lot of ways, I like what Flip is doing right now better. He's getting the defensive performance out of the team without the relentless riding of the players. Also, the offense is potent enough to win comfortably, which allows rest for the starters and development for the young players.

Players are starting to say things like "we are creating offense through our defense and our defense is strengthened by our offensive efficiency." You gotta believe that Flip is preaching that if guys like Jarvis Hayes are spitting that out in interviews. And it is the right way to look at it.
  12. buddahfan

This is in my opinion the main reason that AJ is not getting more minutes and any meaningful minutes. His defense is just not there yet. That of course is easy to understand given that he didn't play any college ball and most of his post high school play has been in the D league where defense is a dirty word.

13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Three things will happen this season.............

1. Amir will get his minutes as the season rolls along.

2. The Pistons will win the 'Ship" this season.

3. The Low will buy Nemo a bag of White Castles......:)
  14. buddahfan

Sounds great to me. Where do I sign up?

15. mikhail1973

Should we start a petition?:MusicBigGrin:
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That is speculation and has no basis in fact. Primarily because Brown said exactly the opposite on WDFN before he was fired.

- Source

- Source

- Source
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will agree that things seem for the moment to be better than in past years as far as developing a bench. However, the job is not done yet. Here is a quick list of things that need to happen yet.

Note what thread this is in. Yes, if Saunders does not feel he needs to do the work, we need a new coach. Several years back I said that if either Memo or Prince got at least 10 minutes per game, I would not call for Carlisle to be fired. Memo ended up playing plenty that year. Carlisle was still fired, I was happy about it, but I did not call for his firing. I am being a bit tougher on Flip. Its his third year. No more half way stuff. He has to step up and do the job of getting us fully, not just partially, but fully ready for the playoffs.

1) Amir Johnson needs to become a regular part of the rotation. This will do two important things. One, it will make us pretty much immune to foul troube this upcoming playoffs at the bigs positions. Two, Dyess will remain well rested for the playoffs. (Compared to right now where he is on a pace that is pretty sure to burn him out.)

2) Afflalo must remain firmly established in the rotation, even after Stuckey is integrated into it. This again will accomplish two things. Immunity to foul trouble at guard position for the most part is one. The 2nd is that both Billups and Rip will be very well rested for the playoffs. (Compared to things going barely ok in that department at the moment. Their minutes are down, but its mostly due to all the 4th quarters they are not playing. I want to see each game see them get proper rest thru the first 3 quarters as well.)

3)Small forward backup position must be improved. Either Hayes is going to have to step it up a lot compared to his performance of late, or someone else needs to get those minutes. I am sure everyone knows a couple of favorites of mine for that job. I believe either Amir Johnson, or Sammy Mejia, could do a better job with the minutes.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Next season is the last year of Flips contract. Joe does not like going into a season with lame duck coaches. This summer either Flip is getting an extension or he's getting released, one or the other. The only way Joe will let Flip stay is if we make a strong showing in the playoffs. The only way we exit short of the Larry-O Trophy better be in a Game 7 in the ECF or Finals, on the road, in Triple OT by a 3/4 buzzer beater, with a hand in the face. Flip HAS to get it done this season, he really has no choice.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In other words what you are saying is that all Flip has to do is get past his regular stumbling block...game six of a conference finals...that is the key game he has lost in the conference finals in 04, 06 and 07 and why he has not got to game 7 or the finals. The way to take all of the suspense out of it is to take care of the celtics or cavs in a sweep or a 5 game ECF series and get into the finals. If he actualy gets the team to the NBA finals and they lose sure I will be disappointed but I may be Ok with him staying, but if they lose in the ECFs again..he's got to go!!:messer::rip:
  20. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

This is a tangible goal for Flip. A goal that is achievable and desirable by all who post here. My gut reaction though is that all he has to do to stay is make his annual 50/20*, and then continue to be the good company man.

*50 wins per regular season and 20 million profit per season.