When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Dec 14, 2007.

?

When would be the best time to fire Flip Saunders?

1. Yesterday

73.3%
  2. Today

3.3%
  3. Tomorrow

10.0%
  4. At the all-star break

13.3%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No way. He has to at least make the NBA Finals or he is gone. No improvement, no more Flip.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Coach, it's not his fault if the players are not makin' shots. Think I quoted this from quite a number of members in here. And it's not his fault either when opposing players can dribble penetrate into the paint so easily.:stirthepot:
  3. BillLaimbeer

Charles, Reggie, and Kenny all agreed that if the Pistons don't make it to the NBA Finals that Flip is gone.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

When did they buy the team?

:hoops:
  5. BillLaimbeer

They were just giving their opinions. That is what they get paid for.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

I can't disagree...who could? Flip got spoon-fed a team of great players in a franchise with a proud history of surprising people that didn't give them credit...and he's managed to under-achieve them. Flip took the heart out of the Pistons by alienating Ben. Kudos to Sheed...he's doing his best to maintain the Piston heritage despite Flip's lackluster coaching.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I don't know if I'd want Ben on the team right now at $12 mil a season.
    But Flip has shown weakness in the playoffs, and that's unacceptable in Detroit. That's the bottom line. However, as long as Davidson owns the team, we are at his mercy as far as coach goes. Joe is the company men and he'll work at Davidson's orders. I am sure he has a say in the whole thing, but Davidson makes the final decision.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The ECF is plenty for Davidson. We're attending the conference finals regularly now and that is enough for the owner. Other teams are being SURPRISED in the EARLY rounds, but that is not happening to the Pistons. Flip will stay as long as the Pistons win 50 and make Davidson 20 million. I don't even think the ECF are necessary THIS YEAR.........:stirthepot:
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Listening to thegame last night I was surprised that Reggie was up in arms about Stuckey not playing. He kept saying that he should have been in to see how he handles the situation instead of Hunter. Surprisingly it was Fratello standing up for his coaching brethren that the Pistons "needed" that win last night. I did not realize they were on the brink of elimination already.

Last night was a perfect example of why Pop is a better coach and will get further in the play offs. He learned a ton about how his "team"; not just his starters; will perform in a play off atmosphere against some of the better players in the league. Who he should and shouldn't play in certain situations and what are the good and bad match ups.

Flip learned that Lindsey can still play defense for 3 minutes. He has no idea how AA or Stuckey will match up against Parker and Manu. Can Hayes get open for his shot?

Missed opportunity to find out what will work when you meet them in the playoffs. Unless the starters are going to play 40+ minutes for the 5 games it takes for them to wear us down and blow us out.

Piss poor rotations last nite from a piss poor coach.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What i wonder is if we don't make the Finals, and Flip does get fired, will Joe D break up the team? or chalk it up to just the coach not getting it done?

Or would he even consider breaking up the team before firing the coach?

I'm beginning to hate regular season wins.
  11. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Doesn't Flip have another year left on his contract after this season? My guess is Flip will coach-out his contract.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

They are assuming no lame duck coach. If he doesn't win this year; no extension hence no final year.

Too bad they didn't mean just a "lame" coach. He would have been gone after year 2.