Where is Joe?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 16, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Who knows where Joe D. is? Because that can't be Joe making these moves.

Okay we just couldn't give what the Bulls were offering so this was Joe's contingency plan? Nazr and Flip? For god sakes I'd rather have Acker play than Flip Murray.

Joe nap time is over it's time for you to wake up and do something.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's funny because I had a dream that Joe was on vacation and someone else was making these moves. More like a nightmare! :fear:
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Joe is getting raked over the coals pretty good now-a-days. Anybody have a better suggestion as to a FA pickup, besides totally dismantling the team?
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree, Mad. He wanted Pryzbilla and that fell through so he got Nazr, the next-best available in some people's minds. And Larry Hughes can score by many accounts. He sucked against us, but hey, Detroit is/was a great defensive team. Also, it's tough to concentrate on your offensive game when you feel like you're stealing a shot from LeBron.

People keep waiting for the big trade, but why deal any of our 5 known entities (McDyess included)?

Piston fans have gotten accustomed to being fat and happy, that's all. Joe D is still a good GM. Sometimes you win (Sheed), sometimes you don't (Ben).
  5. Mad Hatter

We're on the same page ggazoo. I'm not seeing where Joe is so "terrible."

Turns out LB self-destructed in NY after being fondled while he was here. Maybe not a bad move by Joe in hindsight.

He unloaded Darko who didn't play like he wanted to be here whenever he got the chance.

Didn't re-sign Ben. Jury is still out on that one.

Traded Mo for Check. Jury is still out on that one too.

Bought in Flip Murray to add much needed depth in the backcourt.

Has made some excellent non-lottery draft picks, but the jury is still out.

The only move I consider somewhat questionable is not signing Ben. We will see soon enough.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Unfortunately, BillD signs the checks...Joe's handcuffed to Bill's fear of luxury tax...and LB. Business first...championships later? :ohwell:
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Now that the SL is over Joe is prolly back home (before the Fiba ships starts)... We should get some quotes if our beat writers aren't beating something else.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Give Jackie Butler what the Spurs offered and appear to be getting him at (3/7M, starting at about 2 M). Then offer Marcus Banks a deal starting at 3.2M (the rest of the MLE). Minny has too much $$$ in PGs to match just for the sake of matching (Mike James, Jaric, and Hudson all have huge deals), and the market is thinning for him. Then use the BAE on an insurance SF ala Jumaine Jones....

PG- Billups / Banks / Hunter
    SG- Hamilton / Delfino / Acker
    SF- Prince / Jones / (Delfino) / Amir
    PF- Sheed / Dice / Max
    C- Davis (limited minutes) / Butler / (Sheed)

At least then we're getting some young pieces that can be a part of a rebuilding process in the future, but also have enough NBA minutes under their belts to be able step in a contribute now.

It's tough with restricted FAs, but looking at the situations, those are realistic options IMO.
  9. roscoe36

Sign Cato using Bird Rights for depth and a trade piece and you are talking.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I like it... except for Davis as a starter.
  11. roscoe36

Trade Cato and Davis to Atlanta for Zaza Pachulia. We might have to throw in 2 first rounders, but it is worth it. Zaza is a monster at the FT line and on the offensive boards.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'd do that trade for sure, but Atlanta is in a big time youth movement.:ohwell:
  13. FreshPrince22

Well, he'd be limited in minutes (10-15ish), but I figured his rebounding and interior D would be needed in the starting lineup with Ben gone. Butler could probably start, but he's young so the vet gets the nod. Plus I don't like the idea of starting Dice. That gives the starting lineup too many scoring options and the bench too few.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Dice has implied that he doesn't want to start...knee injury still in the back of his head. Pretty sad team-wise considering he's the 2nd best post-up player on the team...maybe #1 considering Sheed's reluctance to stay near the paint.
  15. Mad Hatter

Well...NOW you're talking FreshPrince! I like that idea as well. Was Jackie Butler on anybody (in here's) radar screen before SA snatched him up?
  16. FreshPrince22

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit-pistons-general-discussion/3052-hunting-rising-stars-7.html#post34556

There were a few of us in that thread back at the beginning of June that wanted Butler. Joe went for the bigger name though. :ohwell: A part of me thinks that's a big reason why they signed Nazr on a whim like they did. Nazr, though no Ben Wallace, is a more recognizable name (since we played them in the Finals) than a young up and comer that very few have heard of like Jackie Butler. They can market Nazr as a proven champion, and keep the seats filled.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Kgreg is the leader of the "bring Butler to the D" bandwagon.
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I still have a lot of faith in Joe D. Like someone said, he took the best available men.

Joe still may make a trade for someone else. I guess that why I respect him so much, he is very calculating and really doesn't make trades on a whim. It seems to me he sits back and look at a lot of angles, then makes his move.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some years ago, no one knew about Ben Wallace, why should Joe D have changed his attitude toward seeking unknown talent so drastically? I hope he hasn't and if so, it would be sad. I wouldn't have a problem with young cats who still have to prove something. I prefer them over aging players who get tired and don't take exits too hard any day.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To think that Joe D signs players "on a whim" or because they are "a more recognizable name" is silly. The Pistons employ many scouts and Joe D knows how to evaluate talent. Sometimes, guys don't work out like you hope, but their is a process.