Where is Joe?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

How about the players picked 5-7? Bosh, Kaman, and Heinrich. Hell we could have put the remaining six names (after LBJ) in a hat, blindfolded ourselves, and picked any name and we would have been better off. :doh:

In hindsight, Joe blew it. But at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Just like with Rodney White, I blame the player for being unmotivated moreso than the pick itself. Boy, what I wouldn't do for a "do-over" draft. :pray:

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

THAT'S WHY WE NEED TO KEEP OUR 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR 07..WE NEED A COUPLE HIGH CALIBER PLAYERS THAT WON'T BREAK THE BANK. WE MIGHT NOT GET A LOTTERY PICK, BUT I'D BE REAL HAPPY WITH A COUPLE MORE TAYS.

3. max

max All-Star

That gets my vote for quote of the week.

All good points in this and the other thread but the question remains - How was Joe planning to pay for all this? Dyeses contract is hard to trade with the trade clause ( whatever that is ) and to trade Sheed would be hard without taking on an equiv contract for at least a season.

Now if you want to tell me that the original plan back in 04 was to not sign Ben in 06 and extend Darko instead then it flies - salalary wise. Otherwise Joe was looking at some heavy lux tax that Davison was not going to approve.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Max didn't you just explain the Wade or Carmelo or Bosh scenario in your post? They were too good for our situation!
    Could we pay either of those 2 and keep Rip or Tay? The only diff. is whoever we let go would cause endless bickering. If the coaches wouldn't insist on playing Darko why would they coddle Wade or the others. Not enough minutes for all of them. Hear the grumbling?

And to whoever said it,"we overpaid for Sheed" ,got it wrong. Sheed is worth $70 to 80 mil. to a team that wants to build around him. If they have a bargaining piece to trade. To a playoff team the two parties get a null need wise.

5. max

max All-Star

ThreeFTF - If we had Bosh then we certainly would not have signed Dyess, so that gives you and extra 6.5mil or so per season. Bosh would have been ready and he would have been the 3rd wheel even starting for Sheed sometimes as time went on. Still he probably would have wanted more PT and Dumars would have had to let one of them go this summer when Bosh was up for extension. Can't have 3 frontcourt guys eating over 35mil/yr with Davisons restrictions.

Melo would not have been a good fit. He was very rough for his 1st 2 seasons and LB would not have had the patience. We would have traded him just like Darko.

Wade would have taken over for Rip by his 2nd season and we would have traded Rip - just my opinion and thats not a slam on Rip.

But none of that happened. Whatever Dumars does, even if we win 2 more titles by decades end, he will always have Darko as his largest failure. And it can only get worse. If Darko does work out then he will be slammed for letting him go.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We would have that much faith in a one year player? If Dyess is still there we sign him and Bosh goes. But less urgency.

7. max

max All-Star

We forger how much of a risk signing Dyess was at the time. Not quarantees at all that his knee would hold up.

If a high pick rookie is not contributing by his 2nd year then something is wrong. Even with Prince/Okur - they were starting for us in their 2nd seasons. Signing a vet to a long term deal to play the same position as your francises future is not a good sign.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Apparently waiting for the rookie to learn the systems takes too long. Use the vet. that's ready. Not my choice but that's what goes around, especially if all your other players are proven. No turkey's flying with the eagles.

9. NotoriousCPC

NotoriousCPC First Round Draft Pick

This is one of the reasons that I will never be too upset about the Darko Debacle that was the 03 draft. The simple fact of the matter is, if we draft ANYONE else, be it Anthony, Bosh or Wade then the liklihood that we trade for Rasheed Wallace is very slim. I mean, the team dynamic at that time facilitated the trade for Sheed. You change the dynamic then you don't know what happens. And if there is no Sheed, maybe we don't win ANY championship, much less one and go to game seven a year later. Things happen for a reason and we got a championship out of it.

Yes, drafting Darko was a mistake. Yes, trading Darko was an even bigger mistake. However, we have a nice core of players and the possiblity to grab an impact player or two in next years draft. And because there is the rookie wage scale I think we will take those players, not sign anyone of significance on the FA market and be willing to take on the exorbitant price of extending Chauncey Billups.

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

good post- what you wrote shows why he traded Darko- he was a project and needed time to develop. So we could win now AND later.
    So he was not such a big bust. We had decent players at every position in the starting 5 and could afford to pick a project. Joe D blew it by trading Darko to soon- right now, we'd be happy to finally see Darko starting and not the 29 year old mediocre Mohammed. If Darko wouldn't have done better than Mohammed he'd be younger at least. I don't think he'd done worse as a starter. Joe D blew it with the trade, not with the pick itself.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's a great post CPC. It is very important to remember that we will be probably be adding TWO players with guaranteed two year deals via the draft next year if the Orlando pick comes to us.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think Joe maybe somewhere trying to swing a trade with atlanta for Harrington and someone else, Zaza or some other filler.

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Since AI is living in Atlanta, he probably wouldn't mind at all relocating, I am talking about a 3 way trade if the numbers works out. Someone on M-Live mentioned this which I found pretty interesting.

AI is in love with Atlanta. Every time I am in Atlanta, my cousins or someone is telling me an AI story.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't really say that Zaza is filler. He is only 22 and he averages more rebounds per game than anyone on the Pistons' roster.

15. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Besides that fact, I believe calling Zaza filler might be fighting words with Micro.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Zaza isn't a filler. If we got him I'd want him to start.

17. max

max All-Star

Your scaring me with that Avatar!

Yea, a high draft pick is a thing of value. Teams tank seasons for a shot at one. We had it and squandered it. We got Cato for it plus an unkown Orlando pick. Not to mention all the time wasted training the kid.

It is a good point though. Winning a title is so hard that its tough to debate the circumstances surrounding it and if another selection would have jeapordized it.

18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Well as long as we're speculating, I'd say that any one of the other top picks in that draft would have helped us rather than hurt us. The rest of those guys were/are ballers who "would have" taken some playing time. I understand the dynamics thing, but given what we got from Darko, we could have played Henrich at center and got more production. At least he wouldn't be called a HVC.

I would say the mistake was not trading Darko sooner. But then again Joe showed tremendous patience. The significance of that was completely yet understandably lost on Darko.