Where will Ben's 11.3 rebounds go?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So Ben's gone, what will happen to the 11.3 rebounds he consumed last season. I'm thinking:

Nazr might get around 7 of those
    Sheed should increase his by at least 1 (maybe)
    1 to be dispersed between the others

and 1.3 will get lost on the breeze, which will see us ranked about 27th in the league in rebounding, harking back to the lofty days of 2001-02 when we were dead last. Worried anyone? :nailbiting:

Total Reb Rank (+/- diff rank)
    2000-01 - 1st (9th)
    2001-02 - 29th (28th)
    2002-03 - 25th (19th)
    2003-04 - 11th (5th)
    2004-05 - 4th (1st)
    2005-06 - 19th (15th)<------note correction as per webz Slippy
    2006-2007 27th?
    I know total rebounding stats can be misleading sometimes so I included the rebounding difference in red.

Interesting to see we went from 1st to last in the space of 1 season during 2001-02. :confused:

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

...to Chicago.

Personally, I think our rebounding is going to suck next year unless we convince our guards to chase rebounds again. I expect a marginal increase to be shared by Sheed, Dice, Rip, Chauncey and Tay. Mark Nazr down for about 7 boards a game.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Prince, Hamilton, and Delfino if he plays all have to step up rebounding. Prince in particular needs to go up by at least two a game. Sheed ought to pick up more just because Ben isn't around.

Tay and Rip are the keys to better rebounding and boards are the keys to wins.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm guessing that they will go to Chicago.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Interesting to see what may be considered an LB effect...strong rebounding. If we were 27th last season, at least we can't drop that far. The answer is to increase our offensive efficiency.

6. webz

oops... that should be 2006-07 - 27?

last year was:

2005-06 - 19th (15th)

If you can edit that first post Slip, go right ahead.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL. That's what I was going to say!

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Edited first post to reflect changes requested by webz.

9. BillLaimbeer

With team's playing at different tempos and hence not all having the same number of rebounding opportunities, the rebounding differential is the key statistic to look at.

The Pistons were average (15th out of 30 NBA teams) in rebounding differential last year at -0.3.

If you look at Ben's total rebounds the last 4 years, you see a declining pattern:

2003: 15.4
    2004: 12.4
    2005: 12.2
    2006: 11.3

If this pattern would have continued, the Pistons would have got about 10 rebounds from Ben in 2006-07.

Nazr pulled down 5.2 rebounds in 17 minutes last year. If you left Nazr on the court for the 35 minutes that Ben was averaging (which, of course, you shouldn't do), even Nazr could pick up the 10 boards that Ben would have gave you.

I'm going to predict (using no rationale whatsoever) that the Pistons will actually improve in rebounding differential this year (better than -0.3). I think the team will collectively get the job done.

10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm gonna go along with this prediction.

My own -- meager -- rationale is the following: whenever you have a player who really stands out in one area of the game (be it boards, points or assists), other players tend to back off that territory (cf. Rodman on the Bulls). Ben's board numbers were probably magnified (and other players' diminished) by the fact that everyone saw this as his role. I think that other players certainly have the physical ability to fill that statistical gap and the team numbers may actually improve since it must now surely be clear to everyone that Ben's not there to take care of the boards.

The thing that won't be so easily replaced is the kind of rebound that Ben got, that emotionally uplifting swooping defensive clear, or the offensive taps back to the perimeter, or those that he'd hustle out to the perimeter to get himself, getting us a new 24. Ben pulled countless emotionally big boards. I think it remains to be seen how we fare in that category.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Nazr can work on not fouling too much you could be right.

12. webz

I agree, and thats where I think that 1.3 will get lost on the breeze, drifting all the way to Chi-town. But as was mentioned, I'm also hoping that the team collectively gets on the boards now that the safety blanket has disappeared. Maybe we might see Sheed stay home a little more in order to get some O-boards and take a little less 3's. Hopefully they won't leave all the dirty work to Nazr.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Astute observation, my friend. :)

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I third the prof's observations about the "big" boards that Ben would occasionally get. The way I would occasionally put it to people is that Ben was one of a small handful of players I've ever seen where you could put a great highlight reel together of nothing but a bunch of rebounds that he got.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with the professor here. As long as Flip instills in his players mind during the training camp that Ben is no longer there and the rest of the team has to try to provide some help here instead of relying on Ben, Ihink we won't suffer that much, but it will be a challenge to keep both Sheed and prince drom hanging out on the perimeter.

Nas may be able to grab at least 9 boards a game , but like the prof says, he may not be able to do it with the swagger and beast like way that Ben did it. :(

16. BillLaimbeer

You guys might be getting a little carried away with the so-called emotional rebound. I think a blocked shot can certainly set the tempo for a game to let the opponent know that the paint is not open for business. Ben certainly did that on occasion.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is a difference between stealing a rebound from a teammate and stealing one from the other team. I think that an emotional rebound is one that the other team would obviously get if it wasn't for the hustle of a player.

A good example of this were the emotional rebounds that &*%$@ Foster was getting against us.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He got every rebound, no joke.

19. max

max All-Star

He used to get 15. I can't remember the last time he had one of those 20+ games. This is the guy that had a triple double in blocks.

I actually am not worried about the rebounds. The team will make them up. Its all the other game winning things that Ben used to do that we will miss.

20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If they let me, I'll go get the rebounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.