1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Where would this team be with better coaching ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Mar 11, 2011.

?

How much better with better coaching ?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2011.
  1. 0-3 wins more, not significant

41.4%
  2. 4-6 more, maybe tied for 8th seed

27.6%
  3. 7-10 more, 7 seed

27.6%
  4. plus 11 wins, we're getting jobbed

3.4%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Currently our record is 23 and 42.
    We are 4.5 games out of the 8th seed.
    If Q is the problem and we had much better coaching, where would we sit in the standings ?

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looking at the Pistons results, it looks like they have lost 10 games by 5 points or less points....can't say all of these are coaching losses, but I am thinking with a better prepared coach, we'd be at least 30-35 now...

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons have won 11 games that were decided by 6 points or less. If losing close games is bad coaching, is winning close games good coaching?

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

better coach. same roster. no change

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's not just close games you need to consider. Q's inability to foresee, and even when he sees it, adjust to mismatches that cause problems for the Pistons has caused us to fall back 20-25 pts, or blow leads many times this year. Several games where we were blown out, the other team was able to make a run and put the game away because Kuester was too slow to react. The roster is a blind one-legged turkey trying to run a sprint race against greyhounds. But, still, a better coach would've squeezed at least 4-5 more wins out of this group.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Pistons fans remind me of my aunt on my mothers side who swears her son is just a good kid who happens to be addicted to crack.

He's been stealing from his parents since he was in his early teens...topped it off with hanging out at high schools after he dropped out and entered his 20's...yet in her mind he's still a good kid who just has a little crack problem.

Come on Pistons fans. These players are broken. They've been broken ever since Dumars gave them sacred cow status despite claiming the contrary. So Flip Saunders told them being arrogant would never win them a championship. They had no business trying to intimidate him. Management should have squashed it then and there, but instead Joe supported the players.

Once he did that he broke the team. No one could respect Saunders after that, and no one could respect any other coach after that. Each and every guy that followed him has been a people person that the team tried to treat like trash, and each and every time Joe turned a blind eye. His support of his coaches has been pitiful and substantially lacking.

After 3 straight coaches I'd expect more fans to be catching a whiff of that ol' Java.
    IMO, this team wouldn't play any better if their coach were Jerry Sloan or Gregg Popovich. No support is no support no matter who is standing on the sidelines.

We'd be saying they stink as well, and our favorite players just have a little discipline problem.

7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. Keuster's inconsistency has been maddening this year. The guy seems nice enough, but his rotations have been baffling. While he's been saddled with a terrible conundrum at the guard position, he hasn't done himself any favors, either.

I don't know. This has been a tough year for everyone involved with the organization, no doubt, but I think a better coach would have kept the team in line and would have them in better position right now.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

One of the best post in this forum in some time. A rightful dig on human nature and the astute association of that magnificent crossover saying:

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on.

9. LA Dre

Agree we don't have all-stars or even 3rd team NBA guys on this team, but a coach that knew how to adjust on the fly and didn't sit or bench his hot players for no apparent reason could have squeezed 5 more wins out of this motley crew.

The Pistons players don't want to win, they just want to play. The guy on top has to coach both a winning attitude and DEFENSE....if the Piston players played some defense, they would have like I said above have 5+ more victories.

The knock on Kuester was that he was hired to pump up the offense that seem to die under Curry's short tenure....Curry's team played better defense (with better defensive players and got 39 W's....for the second season in a row, Kuester might not get 30.

... I hate to bring up the Bulls coach again, but he preaches and teaches D :lecturer:and they are the 2nd best team in the east.....

I am not sure what Kuester teaches.:noidea:

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are on pace for 28-54. You would feel better if they finished 33-49?

11. LA Dre

I would probably feel better if we finished 23-59 so that the whole coaching and GM staff could get canned as well as anyone or player associated with the 2004 team with the exception of Palace announcer John Mason, Piston trainer Arne Cander and Pistons radio/satellite announcers John Long and Rick Mahorn and Pistons TV announcer Greg Kelser.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Passive aggressive life lessons.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Some great points in your post Cloud. I'll give it a B+.

On the other hand I still don't get how people think the '04 chip is the problem after watching the last couple of years.

Watching the Spurs game the other night highlighted how bad the Piston coaches have been since LB. (Please don't get me wrong, no coach is going to help this motley crew.)

The Spurs had a pretty decent/significant lead against the Pistons in the first Q when they mistakenly doubled T-Mac in the post which led to a 3pt basket. Pop immediately called a timeout to correct it. It didn't matter that they were shooting 99%, this is how we are supposed to play it and what we did was unacceptable.

That is how you build accountability and I guarantee that Flip, Curry and Kuester would not have done that. They'd stand there in a daze, play through it and hope to get it back on the other end.

The "other end" could be offense or defense. One mistake was not going to get them to stand up.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

--------------------
    I think yes. Some say LB was worth 4-6 pt. a game.
    ---------------------
    Walter:
    It's not just close games you need to consider. Q's inability to foresee, and even when he sees it, adjust to mismatches that cause problems for the Pistons has caused us to fall back 20-25 pts, or blow leads many times this year. Several games where we were blown out, the other team was able to make a run and put the game away because Kuester was too slow to react.
    The roster is a blind one-legged turkey trying to run a sprint race against greyhounds.
    How can you say that about our fine young Pistons! That's just mean. Especially when the vets may be indoctrinating them with selfish American rebellion goodness !
    But, still, a better coach would've squeezed at least 4-5 more wins out of this group.
    So Flip Saunders told them being arrogant would never win them a championship.
    He did? I don't remember but it makes sense.
    They had no business trying to intimidate him.
    Intimidate, might be a bit harsh, but only Sheed cried when LB left. Only Sheed had wrongful cause. Big has BBeen just didn't fit.
    Management should have squashed it then and there, but instead Joe supported the players.
    -----------------
    Yeah I agree...B++...
    Agree we don't have all-stars or even 3rd team NBA guys on this team, but a coach that knew how to adjust on the fly and didn't sit or bench his hot players for no apparent reason could have squeezed 5 more wins out of this motley crew.
    I disagree, we have ~3 NBA starters and another 3 good NBA bench players on this roster.

The Pistons players don't want to win, they just want to play. The guy on top has to coach both a winning attitude and DEFENSE....if the Piston players played some defense, they would have like I said above have 5+ more victories.
    Come on Dre, they play to win. The refs sucked the life out of our Defense. You know the league has a hate/love/hate attitude toward the Detroit Basketball Pistons. Even though Sheed and Beer and Mahorn are long gone.
    The knock on Kuester was that he was hired to pump up the offense that seem to die under Curry's short tenure....Curry's team played better defense (with better defensive players and got 39 W's....for the second season in a row, Kuester might not get 30.
    --------------------
    Curry's roster don't compare with Q's. Apples and oranges. Amir, Sheed...

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Earns, I don't know how the Spurs kept their talent but the consistancy at coaching has to be a big part.

17. LA Dre

So is the consensus here that that LB would have squeezed another title or two of Flips three teams and had Kuesters competing at a 5-6 seed level??? Which means playing better than the Knicks, Sixers and Pacers?? Poll?:sssh:

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. Cloud's getting a B+.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It would have been a disaster. If the Pistons won a few more last year and this year, there would be no Monroe and no looming 7th pick. The team would have no serious basis of moving forward. The extra wins, and I don't think there would have been that many, wouldn't fool anyone. The Pistons would be no real threat in the playoffs.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The good news is that we are going to get a better draft pick than we would if we barely missed or made the playoffs.

Face it, we are rebuilding now. The retool is out of the window. We need a strong draft pick and we need to find a way out of some of the recent contracts that Joe locked us into (Hamilton, Gordon, Villanueva, Maxiell).

It's cliche at this point, but if Laimbeer will ever have a chance at succeeding here, it will probably be at a time like next year. Expectations are now gone. The team needs development and character building. Love and Darko are having career years and have great things to say about BL. And new ownership will probably be looking for a way to may a fan friendly move.

The only downside is that Laimbeer will have a bunch of guards on the team that he won't know what to do with.