Where would this team be with better coaching ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Mar 11, 2011.

?

How much better with better coaching ?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2011.
  1. 0-3 wins more, not significant

41.4%
  2. 4-6 more, maybe tied for 8th seed

27.6%
  3. 7-10 more, 7 seed

27.6%
  4. plus 11 wins, we're getting jobbed

3.4%
  1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It may be a weak draft but it seems tailored for the Pistons. The first 7 players are PG, PF or C in the latest mock draft by DraftExpress. There is also another swedish SF as a late first rounder (24th) - Jeff Taylor, junior from Vanderbilt. If he drops a few more spots maybe we can get him with the Raptors pick and create another swedish colony and start piling up 'ships like the Red Wings.

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Although we need some beef up front that can box out to prevent penetration, handing the keys to Kemba Walker may not be bad as long as we lose some of those other guards... # 1 scorer in the country does scare me as he looks like another shoot first guy, but they say he is the second best PG behind Duke's Kyrie Irving.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting that the first 6 picks are all 18 or 19 years old.

In the mock, we would be taking 2 PG's and a SG!

I'm assuming that we'll switch places with NJ though and will end up in the 6th spot for good. The draft does look at little weak, but I'm not really a college bball junkie, so I'm not familiar with most of the names on there.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Our Detroit Pistons are not in the position to thumb their nose at any player coming out of college. If the guy played the same position and same style as Monroe it shouldn't matter.

Just like Tibs is the MVP this year, the new Piston owner will be theirs. I'm tired of treading water.

@ LADRE Keeping LB may not have won the Pistons another title, but it would have kept them playing like the Pistons. The C's may or may not win again, but they'll go out playing like they did when they won. Sometimes that is all you can do.

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Then there's also the fact that the Pistons went with rookie head coaches the last two times and they've both been absolute bust hires. I don't think Laimbeer will be hired as the next Pistons coach. His last chance was following the 2009 season and Dumars went with Kuester.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Not harsh at all. It was reported as such. They intimidated Flip, and physically at that.

It was one of the driving forces behind some of us looking at former players like Bill and Rick that wouldn't back down if one of those egomaniacal hotheads challenged them to fisticuffs.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Good luck getting a 'veteran head coach' in here folks.

Tom Thibodeau is a nice name to hearken back on....but who among us would have been able to get him out on the town and wasted enough for him to sign on the dotted line as Pistons coach when he had the current Bulls squad with a possible LeBron signing to choose instead?
    He would have had to be seconds from passing out to do something like that.

Our best bet was Avery Johnson (who turned us down didn't he?), and any foray into NJ territory will show familiar sentiments from those fans concerning him as we have seen from ourselves in the past years.

8. LA Dre

Watching Denver put a 21-2 run in the 3rd and then 9-2 run in the 4th and then another 11-2 run in the 4th....I see what you mean.....but did I mention that they don't play defense either?? Nobody adjusted to JR Smith when everybody in Colorado knew he was going to pad his stats at the expense of our poor defenders

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-------
    "IF" LB stayed we would still have the same roster. At least one more ship. Sheed would've continued to bust his azzzz for LB. As for Q's group now, yeah maybe. But not as good as the Big Shot Knicks will be !
    ----------
    LaP, surely you see a good coach keeping this group, yikes, treading water. Therefor no high picks. Besides with bad coaches we don't know what we got. We all like GM but what are his chances? Gone in 2 yr. ?
    Without a rudder we just go around in circles. :yellowprison:

10. max

max All-Star

I sometimes wonder if we would have won anything if Carlisle had been kept on. What would his team have done with Sheed, Mike James, Campbell and all the other guys Dumars brought on in 04.

Not to blame the coaches but these last 2 (Curry and Keuster) have been the 1st and 2nd worst coaches that I have seen. I was not fan yet when Dick Vitale was the coach so I can't say if he was worse. But I would gladly take any of those other clowns from the 80's and 90's that we had over Q.

Q just does not seem to have anything going for him - what is he good at? The team does not play with any consistancy, does not seem to execute any kind of game plan. Defense and Offense are very inconsistent. Player do not listen to him, He lacks insight in his post-games. Only reason why he is still here is because of the limbo state of management while the team is being sold.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You said it Max. I would be happy even if we lost consistently (as in playing the same type of game & lineup and lose). At least then he would have a strategy. Right now, I don't think anyone including Kuester can articulate the direction of this team.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sheed came because LB was here, partly [Carolina Mafia]. If Ricky C. was coach, I don't know.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed came because he was traded here. He had no choice in the matter, although hopping on the bandwagon for a 'ship is certainly a good gig.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you coach in the WNBA, are you still a rookie? That's sexist!

And speaking of sexist, maybe we need a woman's coach to manage the players on this team.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He was traded to Atl. Then he just walked up here. Then everybody said, "OK" so he stayed.
    -------------------
    Since I can't vote in my polls, I'm thinking "jobbed". With smart PG play and steady minutes for the starter rotation, near .500.

16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think this is the most interesting thread going. Lots of coach running down elsewhere, but very few people really seem to think someone else would make a difference.

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Boom goes the dynamite!

:pound::pound::pound:

18. LA Dre

So if Joe won't offer it to Laimbeer, who are saying would be better at managing these Pistons guys, Pat Summit, Virginia Stringer......or Geno Amurilla (sp?)

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Joe won't offer it to Laimbeer because Joe was on one side of the Bad Boy's fence, and Isiah and Laimbeer were on the other...:stirthepot:

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They'd all do just fine I think.

I'd probably go with Pat and make Laimbeer her assistant.