Which of our current group of players has the best chance of being a Head Coach or GM

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Apr 16, 2006.

?

The next Dumars, is he playing now?

1. Lenz

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Bup-Bup

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Sheed

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Tay

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Rip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dyess

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Delk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. BBen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Oh, so many choices, I can't think

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. All of the above...I can't differenciate either

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Some of our guys will go on to be coaches and GMs. Which do you think has the best chance to be great at either.
    I messed up. It was to be multi choice.
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I think Rasheed Wallace is the smartest Piston, and would be the best at either. I also think Rasheed Wallace will never be heard from again publically once he retires from the NBA, so that's a moot point.

So, I'd go with Lindsey, Chauncey, or Ben. Chauncey will likely be given the opportunity first.
  3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Lindsey has a lot of that Avery Johnson quality about him. I could see him being the coach at a place like Southern or Jackson State someday.

Tay has the smarts, but he might be too laid-back. Sheed will be running the South Philly Roscoes in AAU ball, but that's as far as it'll go. Could Ben follow in the strong, silent footsteps of fellow glass eaters Paul Silas, Willis Reed and Harry "The Horse" Gallatin? If their records are any indication, I hope not.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

None. I think sheed and rip will end up color commentators. I don't know enough about delk. I don't think ben, dyess or tay have the personality. I think Chauncey will coach but I don't know how successful he will be.

I generally subscribe to the idea that good coaches come from players that had to use their skill and hoops knowledge rather than their freak athletic ability.

lindsey could surprise but if he had the x's and o's we wouldn't be biting our nails whenever he runs the O.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I can see Sheed as a big man coach or a referee. He yaks to them all the time so he must know the game.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with ahb that Sheed will probably disappear after the retires.

Linz or CB for me.
  7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lindsey could be a good coach, imho- he shows some leadership and already is Joe D's ear in the locker.
    I don't think Sheed's gonna disappear after he retires- his mouth's too big and he wants to help poor people so badly he's gonna do some community stuff. Maybe I'm wrong and he's happy to be out of public.
    That would fit into the picture he drew when he nearly refused to play in the allstar- game.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was thinking more disappear from the game and the public eye. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he settled somewhere and staying involved in community good works.
  9. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

If we're talking GM, my vote's for Tay. I think he's got the smarts, the focus, the discipline, and the ability to go to work without being in the limelight.

Most GM's are not in the public eye very much - in other words, you don't need a hugh personality to be a GM. On the contrary, you need to be in the back room studying details and not thinking about doing public appearances.

Other possible candidates: Lindsay, Chauncey, and possibly Delk or Dyess.
  10. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

None of them. Lindsay is smart, but too passive I think. Same for Tay, Dice, and Ben. Chauncey, maybe as an assistant. Rip commentating, definitely.

Sheed I couldn't see commentating, he's got a big mouth, but he's not one of those guys that talks to just hear their own voice. I could see him in a Barkley-type role, being on Half-time shows and whatnot but not commentating.
  11. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Sheed would be on the Best Damn Sport Show.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who is "Lenz"? Never heard of him.
  13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yeah I agree with Tay also. He seems to understand the game at both ends of the court. I have always thought better coaches were guys who had to understand their shortcommings and paid attention to improving themselves as players. Time will tell if Tay is one to practice continuous improvement.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think AHB called LH Lenz. I like it.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For a former player to be a Head Coach in the NBA today, you have to pay your dues. Superstars like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas were exceptions to the rule, but most guys will have to work as an assistant (e.g, Ron Harper) for many years and hope their time will come. Many a legends (e.g., Kareem Abdul Jabar) are still waiting for their chance.

Personally, I don't see any of the current Pistons having the patience to put in the hours as an NBA assistant. Lindsey Hunter and possibly Antonio McDyess would be leading candidates.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Jabbar is a kook. They won't let him live down the fact he smoked pot, weed, sweet leaf, cronic, sensamia, mexican red, dope, joints etc.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lindsay is the most likely to pay his dues as an assistant, and move up to coach ala Avery. Tay seems more likely to be a GM, laid back ad high BBall IQ...................But while not likley, Sheed would be a great coach. High hoop IQ, keeps it real to a fault, and has the rep to back it up, and is actually a god communicator in a Sheed type of way. But as was stated earlier, I see Sheed retiring from the game and fame to be a an ordinary guy that does some extraordinary things that'll never be on one of those cheesy NBA cares bits......like coach AAU in west Philly and send 1000 under privileged kids to college.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Which of our current group of players has the best chance of being a Head Coach o

I like the thought of him being a ref:eyebrows:.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Which of our current group of players has the best chance of being a Head Coach o

That would be a riot. He'd either tech everybody to get even for what happened to him. Or not call anything.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed would probably be forced to give himself technicals when he mouthed off to himself. It would be a viscous loop.