Which team from the West?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DetroitBasketball, Jan 26, 2007.

1. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

Which team will make it to Finals from the West in your opinion? I think Dallas, Phoenix, or Spurs for sure. Probably Dallas in my opinion.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

To me, it seems that either Dallas or Phoenix will make it. My main thought is that they are both in the west, along with SA, so they will have only one of them come out of the west. And in doing so, hopefully they will beat themselves up.

I am leaning toward Phoenix but not by much over Dallas. Both are loaded and I think Nash makes the diff rather than Dirk.

3. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

The reason I picked Dallas is because Suns have no defense. I think Dallas can beat the Suns because they got good offense and good defense, while Suns have only good offense. I dont think having no defense can get them all the way to Finals. Dallas has already beaten them in both meetings this season too.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Marion and Stoudamire are very underrated defenders.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I guess whichever team Stern wants to represent the west WILL represent the west.

I dunno. Both Phoenix and Dallas should be hungry. Dallas especially since they were ripped off last year, but I believe Phoenix will be one tough customer.

Maybe the team that avoids getting beat up by San Antonio before the conference finals will prevail.

6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

San Antonio or Houston. Maybe Dallas, but I don't think they're as good this season as they were last.

Marion's almost as overrated defensively as Tayshaun Prince. He isn't as bad as Steve Nash is, but he's very close. I'm not sure who he can guard, but he hasn't even slowed a name player down in recent memory, and he frequently makes dumb mistakes. Is it just the statistics he puts up that leads people to believe he's an impact player?

7. max

max All-Star

Its still too early to assume PHX or Dallas will make it. Lets see if PHX can keep this up later in the season.

8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I only saw mention of Houston by AHB. If Yao comes back and plays like he did before his injury and T-Mac can stay, let`s say, 80% healthy, the Rockets could be dangerous.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've always doubted them in the past, but I have now become convinced that the Suns are the best team in basketball. I think playing good defense on them is almost a waste of energy. They score anyway.

10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Lakers or SA.

11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I guess I don't see it your way bro.

He's #2 in the league in Steals per Turnover which suggests that he can't be hurting his team too much with stupid mistakes.

He's also in the top 20 in steals, blocks and rebounds. (#2 in the NBA in steals)

His offensive statistics are just as impressive.

Yet he has never been on an all-NBA defensive team. Statistically he has routinely succeeded as being one of the top 3 players in the league and has only managed to pull 3rd team All-NBA team honors twice.

I'd say he not only is underrated as a defender but as a player in general.

BTW, shutting down Forwards in the West is a pretty tough task.

12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Dumb mistakes on defense. Since he has little to no offensive game other than off-ball movement and finishing what his point guard gift-wraps for him, he obviously doesn't commit too many turnovers. On defense, he'll bite on almost any fake, leaving him out of position; he has only mediocre defensive footwork, which makes it difficult for him to challenge his own man's shots; and he chases the ball to rack up "defensive stats" for fantasy geeks, again leaving him out of position. He is an impressive multi-space rebounder with a phenomenally quick second jump, but that's neither here nor there.

Steals, blocks, and rebounds are not indicators of how well a player contributes to a team defense in the 80-90% of defensive possessions in which he doesn't deflect the ball (see Larry Hughes, LeBron James, or Charles Barkley). Shawn Marion is a perfect example of just how meaningless statistical analyses of basketball really are.

BTW, I said "slow down", not "shut down".

13. max

max All-Star

I am going with Utah this year. Hard to beat a decent frontcourt in the playoffs. Something tells me Phoenix is going to start slowing down before the playoffs.