Who are your 5 favorite current Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I looked all over but couldn't find a thread specifically addressing this. It would be interesting to know everyones thoughts.

Mine are:

#1 Rasheed: The wit, honesty, enthusiasm, bald spot, teeth, nicknames, and guaranshees!

#2 Big Ben:: The work ethic & heart, that look he gives, the fro.

#3 Chauncy: Leadership, honesty, and he's tough as hell.

#4 Darko: Just because...lmao (check back in 4 months & I may have a good answer)

#5 Arroyo: enthusiasm...The Indy game made me a fan

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rasheed
    Rip
    Ben
    Dice
    Chauncey

Just because CB is last doesn't mean I don't love his game. I just need to see more this year before I put him ahead of Dice.

Oh, and Rip, Ben and Sheed get top billing because they all play with fire in their belly. I love that. Not the techs, but the fact that they will not lay down for ANYONE.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Dice ...I'll go with him first because I admire his tenacity in overcoming his knee injuries

Ben ...He believes in himself and works hard....not a pampered athlete

Rip....read about some of the crap he had to put up with in Washington before he got to the promised land.

Tayshaun...what can you say about a guy who as a rookie couldn't get any playing time...and then comes off the bench in the playoffs to save his team?

Chauncey....drafted almost as high as Darko but still took time to develop into the star that he is today.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

1. chauncey billups
    he's our playoff trump card. no one that we encounter in the playoffs has an answer for chauncey. this year it will be even worse since he will be unleashed upon the league under flips system. no more waiting until the 4th quarter to dog the other teams pg. the abuse will start right after the tip off.

2. carlos arroyo
    he makes the game interesting. he passes like nobody else in the league. yes nash makes assists. but nobody does it as beautifully as carlos arroyo. he also will be unleashed onto the league under flip.

3. tay
    this year will be his full fledged arrival as an all star candidate. tay is just the matchup nightmare for the teams in the league. the teams have found his defensive weakness. but he's still a great defender. this year he will be an offensive force. bombing from 3 like the old days in kentucky.

4. carlos delfino
    he really became one of my favorites when he cussed lb out. he stood up to the bully and gained my respect. i also love the fact that he will go to the hole and dunk on people real hard. he passes, rebounds, and gets steals. he's going to be unleashed this year also. the dos los second team backcourt will give us an uptempo look and play great D in the zone.

5. darko milicic
    the serbian swat machine. this year i think we'll have a 20 block game as a team. he will become a defensive force this year despite lack of major minutes. but his minutes will be consistent and he will become consistent. he's an excellent passer and flip knows this. look for the second team offense to be ran through darko at the high post. i'm looking forward to darko playing his game and not being molded into something he ain't.

5. Darth Tater

fickle and forgetful me...

:doh: Man, I forgot all about Dice. You guys are right. OK, he is my 6th man waiting to get in. (I guess if I forgot him I can't make him knock someone else off... but yeah...what a nice guy and what a nice recovery from that injury...and he played great in the finals...ok, he knocks Arroyo off my list).
    Sorry Carlos.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Billups: He's like a highlight film in slow motion. Its being able to savor the anticipation that something's about to happen, the disbelief that its happening and the swagger that it just happened.

B.Wallace: Simply a highlight film. With Fro. Or Cornrows.

Hunter: Man, I liked his body to body D on the opposing guard. I also liked how he came into the league as the next isiah and carved a place for himself when he wasn't.

Milicic: Mostly because I'm rootin' for him.

FLip: LB was great but for an unselfish team we seemed to have had a particularly selfish coach.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

My 5

The starting 5 is my favorites, and they're basically tied. These guys all have a reson for people to like them, and I just can't choose.

Chauncey Billups: Best ball handler and clutch player in the NBA, great strength and size along with good post-up skills and drives. So he can abuse basically every point gaurd in the NBA. Plus he can stretch out that defense with a 3.

Rip Hamilton: best mid-range shot in the game, and he's the best runner too. He also has a great pumpfake so he's great offensively. Hamilton is also getting way better at passing and defense and he'll only get better.

Tayshaun Prince: One of the top perimeter defenders in the league. Has good range, and he can take his man inside for his unstoppable facing hook. He's going to be really great in a couple years. Should of got Most Improved Player award too.

Rasheed Wallace: creates big matchup problems with his size, and length. Great interior defender, and he can post up or hit the outside shot. what is also great he makes this team believe in itself, i don't know why it's just something about him.

Ben Wallace: Best Defensive player period. He's probably one of the best all time he's only 1 DPOY Award away from being tied for the most. He can take over a game without scoring. Also he's a great offensive rebounder so he can get many putbacks, plus his shot is getting better.

8. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Playas......

1) Joe Dumars - my favorite player then, and still my favorite player now. Pullling all the strings from behind the desk, he's been magic at all his moves. Keep it up Joe. :nod:

2) Tay - I have this affinity for low-key players that have character, strength and heart. And add defense to Tay's skills with his growing offensive game, then he becomes my favorite player of this crop of Pistons. :nod:

3) Ben - face of the franchise. Nuff Said, won't say much for him coz I prefer he give my reasons on the court, like he always does.

4) Rip - the energy, the personality, he's a cool guy and you gotta love him running around everybody and dropping that jumper over ya. :nod:

5) Sheed and Cnote - Not but not least, are the two guys rounding the best five in the NBA, Sheed for his tenacity and all-around game, underrated, he talk you out of your game and Cnote, Big Shot, CLutch, Captain of the Ship. :nod:

9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

5 faves right now

Of all the current Pistons, Rip is my favorite right now. He does not always have the best result in a given situation, but he gives total, all-out effort, is successful in a very high percentage of times, and I have never seen him on the floor when he was putting out less effort than anyone else. A human dynamo, Y-Y-e-e-s-s-s-i-i-r-r-r!!!

Number two is CB. Again, total effort and very successful at what he is trying to do at any given time. He is, to me, the heart and soul of the team. He has pride in the fact that he is the leader.

Now, I am looking for what I see he can do down the line. My third fave is DMC. I think he has shown real class in a totally disappointing situation. I just think he does things in a cool way and that his future is going to be rosy. I just like the kid.

Taysh is fourth and again, I like him as much for what I believe he will be as what he is so far. Tracking down shots after everybody else has given up on them is just one way he is totally into each game. I am occasionally disappointed in him but it seems to me that it is always due to his playing too many minutes.

Ben is fifth, ahead of Sheed, just because Ben is always overacheiving while Sheed is usally underacheiving. Just my own opinion but I am usually worried that Sheed is a loose cannon and anxious about him going off at the wrong time. The guarantees and making faces and jumping around put him below Ben in that I feel Ben is always looking to do what is best for the team. I wish he could get his free throw stats up, though.

Lindsay is just barely below Ben as a favorite, though. He makes teriffic use of his body on defence and those times when he is hitting his shots, he is right up there. But he has also been used incorrectly in the past two years; too much for one thing.

I faltered a lot in this posting because it is very difficult to look at individual players rather than the team as a total. They are ingrained in my mind as a team and not as individuals, and that is why I am not more disappointed that they do not get as much consideration for all-star honors. They are a team, not individuals.

Does that make any sense?

10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

5 favorite pistons now

#1 Chauncey BububuBillups What I love about C.B. is the fact he wants the ball when it counts. He is never scared to take a shot or put the ball where it has to go. He flat out comes to play. Ben might be the face and heart of the team but Billups gets the #1 spot.

#2 BIG BEN First undrafted player to be an allstar 3 time devensive player of the year (should be 4) with Ben under the basket on D you can almost bet that the shot wont be taken from the paint. I love his heart his toughness and his willingness to do WHATEVER he has to do to help the team win.

#3 Tay To small to skinny to bad he aint on your team. I love the fact that he proved his coach wrong that he could play. I love the fact that he became our defensive stopper(by by #12) If he ever gets to the point where he demands the ball on O he could very well be one of the best 3s in the game.

#4 Sheed he put us over the top. He might run his mouth more than I like personaly but without him we are just a good team not great.

#5 A tie between Rip and Dyess Rip has more heart than most people give him credit for. Dyess because I counted him out and he proved me wrong. I thought he was done because of the knees. That and if he stays a piston he makes us that much deeper and stronger

11. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

1. Chauncey - his command of the game is just awesome. the guy just exudes confidence. you rarely see him lose his composure. add to that he's developed into a great floor leader, getting his teammates involved when he could be averaging 20pts a game easily.

2. Ben - how can you NOT love player that frequently gives up 3" at his position every night and never complains about it. "Heart and soul" is the cliche that fits Ben perfectly. his humble roots make him that much more endearing.

3. Sheed - his personality gives the Pistons personality. he can do things that no one else in the NBA can get away with....WWE-style championship belts!? he's THAT player you hate when he's on the other team, but love when he's on your side.

4. Tayshaun - he's that young guy that everyone knows can be great, but is too nice to push himself in front of everyone else. it can be maddening, because you want him to excel but you can't fault his unselfishness.....especially in the NBA. just remember the 2nd half of last season, when Tayshaun was asserting himself in the post and shooting the highest FG% on the team (could have been 2nd behind Dice, can't remember).

5. Dice - his "comeback" certainly humbled an already humble guy. hearing how he gave LB his gold medal in the Olympics and i was most saddened that Dice didn't get a ring last season.

sadly, Rip falls out of my top 5 in favor of Dice. Rip's decision making at times drives me crazy (evidenced by his high TO rate). nothing against Rip, but i just want Dice to succeed given all he's been through.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I can't even try to begin to list them based on what happens on the court, so I'll base this on who I would like to hang out with.

(1)Roscoe, do you even have to ask.

(2)Rip, mad cool, and dude is a chick magnet, you can feast off his leftovers.

(3)Chauncey, also real cool, a little more laid back than his backcourt cohort.

(4)Dice, just a good guy. Exemplifies the type of politeness and humility that southerners are known for.

(5)Carlos Arroyo, another chick magnet, I mean Rip will have all the sista's lined up, but Arroyo (even though he's married) has all the latina's fired up [​IMG], again....feasting on spicy leftovers.

13. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

LOL, interesting rating requirements

14. MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Second Round Draft Pick

My 5

1. Ben Wallace- the heart and soul of this team without him we would NEVER have experienced this kind of success

2. C Billups- I have always watched this guy when he was in college and with other teams so I knew he could play.. but I am really suprised by his leadership skills and ability to take and MAKE!!!! the Big Shot

3. Rip- Hands down our best and most consistent player.. you know what you are going to get from him every night.. and he just destroys the other team defense with his ability to make shots all over the court.. if he worked on his ball handeling and one on one skills he would be a top 5 player in the league and damn near unstoppable

4. L Hunter- this guy is a beast and I have always loved him as a piston he gives you everything he has

5. Sheed- the guy will always be a hero in Detroit casue he is the player that put us over the top to win the title.. even with his defensive mistake last year we wouldn't even have made it to the finals without him

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just can't put them in order, they're true pistons player representing the history and the attitude I love.
    Sheed
    gotta love this guy
    Big Ben
    his attitude, his blocks, his toughness, his power, the funny way it looks when he's doing offense
    RIP
    Running man with consistence and improved all around qualities
    Chauncey
    has improved so much and his deadly crunchtime shot has cost me many heart difficulties
    Tay
    so skinny and still so tough- let's see him improving and improving
    Arroyo
    fine playmaker, hope to see more of him
    Mc Dyess
    I loved him with his old knees

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Imagine if we had the younger Dice who just hopped over people, and crammed it. Even though he can't do that anymore he's the best back up PF in the league, he probably actually would be a top PF if we didn't have another great PF in Sheed'. We probably wouldn't even get Dice if it wasn't for his injury though.

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Do George and Ricky Count?

C-Bill
    Rip
    Ben
    Darko
    George and Ricky

18. Darth Tater

I need a life department

Ok, based on the results of people who responded:

Looks like Chauncy is the favorite. He made every list (13)

Ben made 10 lists. Sheed & Rip made 8.

Prince rounded out the starters with 7 and Darko & Dice got 5 each.

Chauncy received the most first place votes (6) and Sheed was next with (3)

**I had to use some discretion when tallying these due to differences in the way people voted, so even if you are as bored as me right now, don't bother checking my totals because your figures probably will vary slightly. :bored::nerd:

19. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Top 5's

thats a tough choice....

how can you compare the bad boys with this team....

Dumars spider and worm just seem to always be the 3 i loved, but microwave isiah and lam are right there......

then you have the current 5, with prince being my favorite.... but i really have this feeling we have the makings of some more favorites coming...

If only the egoes stay in check, and we stay together

anyways..... top 5

Prince Dumars Rodman Big Ben C-Bill is my starting 5