1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I stand corrected, well played sir

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

West-Mex is the best. Taco's at Taco John's are the best. Love the dog commercials..........

3. DeetroitDynasty-e

KRISTA JAHNKE: The Pistons' plan: Step 1, re-sign Billups; step 2, retain Johnson

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

"I'll get to that later."

Hopefully that is not synonymous with "It's no big deal"

5. DeetroitDynasty-e

perhaps he has a trick up his sleeve... Flip plus Nazr would yield a 7 mill guy... who could we pry from team at 7 mill next season?

6. DeetroitDynasty-e

Alright, after a quick search here are all the guys that work (money wise) that we can get in exchange for NAZR and FLIP (Murray):

Al Harrington (FC), Golden State
    Mark Blount (FC), Minnesota
    Kurt Thomas (FC), Pheonix
    Jammal Magloire (C), Portland
    Rasho Nesterovic (C), Toronto
    Mehmet Okur (FC), Utah MEHMET!!
    Etan Thomas (FC), Washington

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am sure at least one trade will be made this year, but I don't see anyone taking on Flip and Nazr at the same time.

Flip + Dupree

Nazr + Dupree

maybe...

8. DeetroitDynasty-e

I thought Dupree was an FA, his two years are up, are u talking about sign and trades?

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i thought dup had another year. didn't we just get him back last year

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

11. DeetroitDynasty-e

oh okay, player's option, which he will/did take... you think he really has trade value? He has a really small contract, hasnt really gotten that big a chance on this team

12. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Mid levels for Centers usually end up like Nazr. Overpaid, undertalented, and a long term cap headache. I would prefer a short term deal with Webber over getting into a long term situation with any of the free agent bigs out there.

13. Slippy

maybe we can play him. we did give him up for a 2nd rounder. did we ever use that pick?

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Keeping Dale Davis, and promising to play the guy to keep him here, and of course, actually playing him, is the way to go. Dale Davis may be old, but he still can play. He can still cover the middle very well. He is a strong, tuff rebounder that takes a lot of energy expended by the other team to keep him off the those boards.

Since the team wants to keep Dyess, Dale Davis fits in just that much better. Dale Davis does not want or need starters minutes. Just regular minutes. I'd say no back to backs, which leave him out of 20 games or so, and 16 minutes a game in the other 60 games. This still leaves plenty of room for the youth, Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiell, and maybe even Samb, to gain the experience needed so that they can help us in the years to come.

Here is a rotation for this group of front court players, Sheed, Dyess, JMAX, Amir, Davis. Dyess and Sheed start. Eight minutes into the first quarter, Dale Davis and JMAX come in for those two. To start the 2nd quarter, Amir comes in for Tay. Four minutes into the 2nd quarter, Dale Davis is done, having played his 8 minutes for the half, so Amir switches to power forward, and JMAX to center. At this time, if its Hill we got for a backup small forward, he comes in and plays his 8 minutes. (If Hill wants to play more than 16 minutes a game-go find another team-16 minutes a game is all Hill is ready for.) Sheed comes back for JMAX Also at this time. Yes, 16 minutes per game for JMAX seems like too little, but he will play more when Dale Davis sits on back to back games. In those 20 games or so, JMAX gets 32 minutes. Lets do the math. 32 x 22 = 704 mintues, plus 60 x 16 = 960. 704 + 960 = 1604 minutes. Plus, JMAX will get at least about a hundred minutes of garbage time in blowouts, and may get a bit more due to injuries. Maybe 1800 or 1900 minutes for the season.

Dyess also only gets 16 minutes per game as a base, but also gets minutes at end of games-if he is the right guy. Kind of like we used Curry. Curry started, but almost never finished a game.

Amir Johnson would be getting somewhere around 20 minutes a game, 8 at small forward and 12 at power forward.

Sheed would average a bit less than 32 minutes a game, depending on how many blowouts we had during the season.

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Like the idea of Dyess and Sheed starting......................play the youth.

16. buddahfan

I think if DD were to play more than 5 - 10 minutes a game twice a week he would break down before the all star game or before he got to 100 points and 100 rebounds for the year.

When Kareem was that old he could get away with playing a half court game which he did and walking rather than running because he could still score and block a shot once in while. DD has never been able to score.

Dump the guy. I would rather see Samb get those minutes than DD.

:hoops:

17. Slippy

I'm kinda with ya on that. DD would have been great the past 2-3 years when we got him. I don't know if Samb is ready but I feel that we wasted Davis.

18. buddahfan

Some people may want to say that if Mutombo can play at 40 years of age 3 points and 6.5 boards per game in 17 minutes per game last year, why can't Davis do it at only 38 years of age; i.e., put up those kind of numbers?

The answer is, is that DD just doesn't have it anymore.

Over the last two years he has played a total of 644 minutes in 74 games or about 9 minutes a game and 37 games a year. He has averaged about 2.5 rebounds a game over the last two years.

Folks his numbers will not get any better at 38 than they were at 36 and 37 years of age and he will break down if the Pistons try and play him every game.

You might say, but he is big and clog the middle. Yea but can he move fast when enough to avoid 3 second calls in the process?

He is not about to find the basketball fountain of youth. Dump him.

Dale Davis Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

19. buddahfan

You are correct, Samb might not be ready and that is my point. Even though he may not be ready at this point I would still rather have him than DD if those were my only two choices.

:hoops:

20. DeetroitDynasty-e

Bring back Darko with the MLE!!... You think its possible that his stock falls to that point?