Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Religious Muslims are not allowed to eat between Sunrise and Sunset during Ramadan which depending the time of the solar year that Ramadan takes place can be long or short. However, they can drink liquids between sunrise and sunset and eat all they want between sunset and sunrise.

So what happens is if you are a religious Muslim and normally eat your heavy meals during the sunlight hours your diet gets messed up during Ramadan. However, if you normally eat at night, (I have a friend who basically only eats at night, though he is not Muslim) then your bodily cycle should not be too impacted by Ramadan and hence your physical skills.

:hoops:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Within a week, the body is recovered from Ramadan. Believe me, if we were in a desert climate, and without air conditioning, Ramadan would take a lot out of Naz because you can't rehydrate between sun up and sun down.

But it will be fall (shorter days), we have professional trainers looking out for him, and he's been doing this since he became a young adult.

His body will rebound quickly. Ramadan is nothing to be concerned about, for the rest of NazMo's contract.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

My bad. You are correct. Muslims can't drink during the day time. My mistake

:hoops:
  4. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

My bad, i'm going off of an article i read last season about Nazr's typical slow starts that blamed Ramadan. I remember talking to one of my Muslim friends about Ramadan, she was saying that in Arab countries it was really cool because everyone starts staying up at night because thats when they could eat. I have nothing against Nazr's beliefs or activities due to them, i was simply reflecting on how it might affect our attempts at moving him. As i can see the effect would be minimal.
  5. max

max All-Star

Is there some reason why Amir Johnson could not start at center for us next season?
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Too small

Too light in the pants

That's all I can think of.
  7. max

max All-Star

Who is not these days?

He is 6'11" and likes playing in the paint and blocking shots. I don't know - may be worth a try. I like Amir better in there than Mohammed.
  8. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I would like to see us go after Randolph Morris from the Knicks, only thing is, do we have anything they would want?
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Is there any reason Sheed can't start at the 5 and Amir can't start at the 4?
  10. max

max All-Star

I can't recall when but Sheed already said he would not like to play center on a regular basis.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Sheed probably doesn't want to cover the other team's 5 because he's worried about picking up too many fouls. I dunno, though, I'd like to see Amir/JMax in there more often. With Sheed at the 4, makes it difficult.
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Sheed would also wear out quicker guarding the 5. He is not a center and shouldn't be put in the position to have to be there game in and game out. He could fill it in spots, but no more than that.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with Mik and Zoo on this one. Sheed is to valueable to be bumped around by a center and find himself sitting on the bench with two fouls for the rest of the half. :yellowprison: you know Flip...
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So answer me this: For two years now we have seen Sheed and Dyess on the court at the same time, and they're a very effective combination. Who was playing Center all those 200+ games where Sheed and Dyess logged minutes together?
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Usually neither. We went with some 1 in five out, spread-type sets, wherin Dyess would usually find himself in the short corner or high-post. There no rule that says you have to run a play through a pivot. If you had to pick the post player though, I would say that it's clearly been Dyess. Regardless of who we pick up in the offseason, Maxiel is going to find himself playing some "5", and cross-guarding the other team's "3", or "4", kind of like the "Big Nasty" did when he was here. My guess is that Nazr is going to be giving us 20+ minutes a night in the pivot. That probably leaves Maxiel, Dyess, and Sheed sliding over to the "5" depending on matchups.

That's still pretty decent size.
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Unless Joe can pull a miracle, it will be Nazr + commitee in the middle depending on the opponent. Do we really want Web back? Maybe only if he agrees to be satisfied with 15-20 minutes per game. And he could be starting in that role as well to get things rolling. Obviously, he could have an advantage playing against the 2nd units, but not sure if he'd agree to come off the bench. Everything depends on what he's trying to accomplish.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the way the bench is looking to me.... fast tempo get up and down type players webber would be better suited starting aka the way edwards used to, start the game and the second half to set a tone then enjoy the show from the bench.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I see Webber creating easy baskets for the guys off the bench, but you are right in saying that the game will be fast with the bench. Chris cannot play that way anymore...first we will see if he stays then the team decides how he is played.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i'm no way comparing him to kareem, but i guess he could fill a role like that make great outlet passes for the fastbreak and if its not there the 4 kids wait on pops to come down and get in postion to run a set
  20. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

An article from a couple days ago

PISTONS: Center of the Storm