Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Remember this discussion when someone says Nazr is untradeable. Other teams are in worse shape and have the same bleak options.

Mihm is a decent player if you don't have to watch him every night. And you won't have to, because he'll be injured.
  2. max

max All-Star

Couple of quick points.

I don't think its going to be as simple as signing a new guy with the MLE. There could be some major shakeups.

With that said we could go with a 2-3 headed center deal by resigning Dale and Webber if we have a reliable PF. If no suitable upgrade for Sheed is out there ( dealing for Jemain O'Neal) then we are kind of stuck with Sheed. Just make sure that Amir Johnson is not Darkoed out of the lineup, he needs to play next year.

The league is getting away from the need for a big guy to matchup ( see Shaq getting old). The new direction that I see is getting some guys who can matchup with Lebran and Wade. Guys who have strength and can make them work on the defensive end.
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roscoe, would we have more money to offer if we didn't resign CB?
    Or would it be the same situation as for Ben, that we only have the money to resign him, not for anyone else?
    If so, I have to say that this sounds crazy- how can teams like NY, San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami can afford their expensive rosters while we struggle to pay 4 good starters?
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We still have the draft as well. We will see what happens in 2-3 weeks.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have to crunch the #s on this. Just taking a quick look at this and knocking CB's salary for 07/08 off, I would say no.

It looks like it may be. I will have more info next week.

Some teams are willing to spend money. Some teams are very smart and aggressive. Detroit is at a big crossroads.
  6. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

"If so, I have to say that this sounds crazy- how can teams like NY, San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami can afford their expensive rosters while we struggle to pay 4 good starters?"

It all comes to the salary cap, if you exceed it you pay the luxury tax. We dont want to pay the luxury tax, most teams dont, big market teams, like the knicks and lakers can, because the risk can lead to greater rewards. Think the Yankees only smaller scale.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love talking about the cap because I find it so interesting, but it is a little complicated because there are so many exceptions to the rules. Every situation has a lot of caveats.

I'm going to try to provide more info this offseason so everyone interested can aim for a better grasp of the system.

Simply put, there are 4 levels.

1. Far below the cap

2. Just below the cap

3. Over the cap

4. Over the luxury tax limit

We're at Level 3. Just to make sure everyone is clear, this will be our 3rd straight offseason over the cap. It's neither good nor bad. But semantically it is important for reasons I will explain later.
  8. DeetroitDynasty-e

I just dont see Flip using Nazr unless forced, here's an idea for making the fewest possible changes to the team:

1: Chauncey
    2: Rip
    3: Tay
    4: Dysse
    5: Sheed

2nd Unit

1: Draft's 15th pick/Flip (With two guys subbing in at point we can keep Billup's minutes controlled)
    2: Person we get for Nazr trade
    3: Delfino
    4: AJ/Maxiell (With Dysse, we can start these guys every so often, and keep minutes low at this position)
    5: Resign Dale Davis (Bigger defensive role)
  9. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sheed gets paid a lot.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah Dice should start. He is more of a slower player. The bench will be really fast paced.

1st Unit

CB
    Rip
    Tay
    Dice
    Sheed

2nd Unit
    Draft Pick
    Delfino
    Amir/J Max/Person we get from Nazr trade
    Amir/J Max/ Person we get from Nazr trade
    Dale/C Webb/Draft Pick

Dale would not be able to run up and down the floor too well. Maybe the Pistons get a Big Lineup and a Small Lineup off the bench

Big:

Delfino
    Person we get from Nazr trade
    J Max
    Amir
    Dale/Webber

Small

15th pick
    Flip
    Delfino
    J Max
    Amir

Hopefully we get this guy from the Nazr trade. If not try Acker.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is precisely what I hope happens. That is still an incredible starting 5. Davis/ Amir/ Maxiell/ Delfino should all take turns starting once in a while. And when they don't start, they should get decent, regular minutes off the bench. Let them lose a few games. It builds character.
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I was very 'cool' on Hawes but now that I see his standing reach it doesn't even matter if he can jump or not.

Could handle him at 15 and then more of a 'prospect' PG at either 27 or 57.

Really would like that slasher out of Fresno to backup Tay/Rip, that kid looks like a beast.
  13. max

max All-Star

Only problem is Dyess does not want to start.
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I still think we could get some run out of Mikki Moore. I've always liked him, but we'd have to really look for a distributor so we don't have to stand around expecting him and everyone else to create for themselves again this year.

What happened to Andre Miller...can we steal him from someone?
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is Mikki Moore available?

He's a good energy player with a pretty good FT line jumper.

I don't think Dyess wanted to take someone's starting job. If it was his at the beginning of the year and we didn't overplay him, I bet he'd be OK with it.
  16. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I think he's very superstitious and likes coming off the bench.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    McDyess said that he feels more comfortable coming off the bench. Also, with his health issues he shouldn't be playing more than 20-25 mpg.
  18. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Mikki Moore is a guy whos game I respect but he's not a good fit for the Pistons as he's not giving you anything Amir can't/doesn't.

Plus the Pistons may have to deal with a semi-healthy Shaq/Wade next year and should fine some 'big boned' Center.
  19. DeetroitDynasty-e

I think Dyss would have a problem with starting, due to the superstition thing, thats part of the reason why maxiell got to start when sheed was suspended due to techs. If thats the case we can start the youngins (Maxiell/AJ) and if they dont look comfortable in a given game, sub dyss in...
  20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Dice is where he should be. He saves his knees and enjoys better matchups against reserves. Big, athletic 4s can bother his jumpshot, and you don't see a lot of those on opposing benches.