Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

OK...I think you went too far.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here are his turnovers each game:

Game 1- 7 (win)
    Game 2- 5 (win)
    Game 3- 5 (loss)
    Game 4- 5 (loss)
    Game 5- 1 (loss)
    Game 6- 0 (loss)

Our wins and losses were not correlated with his turnovers. He seems to have completely corrected the problem in 5 & 6.

I'm not saying he was playing up to his potential, b/c if he did, we would have walked all over them. It's just that even with all of his struggles, he was still a positive force for us on the floor. When he was out there, we beat the Cavs. When he was on the bench, we got slaughtered.

Coincidence?
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Mihm might be available since Brown should be healthy next year and the Lakers really like Bynum who has loads of potential. I would love to see us get him but we would have to give up too much for Bynum. He sure would look great next to AJ.

:hoops:
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What beat us was Cleveland's 3 point shooting. In the first two games they shot poorly on 3s. In the next four they burned us bad shooting well over their seasonal average for those four games.

Even game six was close going into the 4th quarter when they started out by bombing us with at least 2 three point shots and then we collapsed.

This is a matter of our defensive scheme in combination with the lack of athletic ability and quickness among most of players that doesn't allow us to rotate fast enough to defend against the 3 point shot when teams move the ball quickly on the perimeter against us.

:hoops:
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Just like I wouldn`t say the losses were solely on Chauncey, I wouldn`t say the struggles of the Pistons were because he wasn`t on the floor.

And the TO statement was a response to "if all the Pistons played like CB" - if they did, we would have had a ton of TO`s in games 1-4! Perhaps, resulting in a Cav`s sweep.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We would have also had 78 assists, so we would have at least put up a fight with > 150 points.

He's a point guard. Since he handles the ball on virtually every possession, he is bound to have more TO's than other players. Lebron James had 19 turns and CB had 23 in the series. So net net, the Cavs got 4 extra possessions b/c of the difference between these 2 guys. They shot 38%, so that would be 3 points divided by 6 games... or 0.5 points per game.

Jason Kidd averaged 3.4 to/game in the playoffs to CB's 3.8.

Lebron is averaging 6 turns per game in the Finals so far. Does that mean he's getting exposed as a turnover prone player?
  7. Dlev59

Come on Tay, let`s not use that he is a point guard excuse. He has been a PG all season long, yet we haven`t seen the TO`s in 3 or 4 consecutive games like we did in the ECF. I know CB is human, however in this series he wasn`t himself.

Let`s not compare CB to LBJ or J-Kidd........please..their performances in the post season, dwarfs Chauncey`s bigtime!

Kidd avg a triple double in the playoffs, and LBJ`s game 5 performance is all that needs to be said.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying Chauncey played well compared to how he usually plays. I'm just saying that a sucky Chauncey was still good enough to win while he was on the floor. If Lindsey could have equaled the Cavs backup PG (a rookie no less), it would have been no contest.

And yes, Kidd and LBJ are positive forces for their team even when they turn it over. Same with Dwight Howard. Same with Chauncey.

Maybe Flip should have never taken CB out. Wilt played 48 mpg, right?
  9. Dlev59

I agree with you that Lindsey was terrible, however, we all know, if CB is not on his game the chances of the Pistons winning a series is very slim.

Playing CB longer than he did, IMO, wouldn`t have made a positve difference.
  10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

11. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I think Nene is a good idea, but i dont think Lindsey would be good trade material, he seems to me to be a Piston for the rest of his NBA career (might retire and join the front office). If we want Nene we will probly have to bundle Nazr with one of our young talents, maybe two...
  12. Dlev59

The way Nene played towards the end of the year, I would definitely consider him. He looked like his knee didn`t bother him at all.

I don`t think the Nuggets would let him trade him though, I wouldn`t. Him and Camby are a good combo there.
  13. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Who would honestly want Nazr in a deal? It just seems to me like no one would trade a starting center for a center who basically sat on the bench for more then half of the season. Sure he was starting (I believe?) with the Spurs before, but I don't think any team would want him for the money he is being paid.

I think we might have to stick with Nazr for awhile.

I think we could get by having Nazr backup a potential new center, or play 10-15 minutes a game. Next year we should have:

Sheed
    Dyess
    Amir
    JMAX
    Nazr

As big men. Worst case scenario if we don't get any new big men I still think we are looking good. Sheed, Nazr, and Dyess can all play center and we can continue to develop Amir and JMAX.

Look at San Antonio they don't exactly have superstar centers (granted they have Tim Duncan), but if we have the main four (Billups, Rip, Tay, Sheed) playing to there potential we should be able to get by with having Nazr playing center. The spurs did when they won. If we get a few good vets or youngsters that can actually play (Or Flip actually plays them) I like our chances. We need shooters coming off the bench.

I would love to get a good vetran swingmen (Grant Hill anyone?), draft a young PG to backup Billups and if we can get a new starting center great. If not start Sheed at center with Dyess and bring Nazr and the kids in off the bench.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The logic for a team to get Nazr would be that:

He was playing OK for Detroit and got benched because we brought Webber in.

He is a strong rebounder and can hit jumpers out past the free throw line.

Has a good attitude.

He is locked in long term for a reasonable price.

Greater fool theory.
  15. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

He'd actually be great for Charlotte or Atlanta both of which either need backup or rotation Centers and could eat the contract EASILY.

Okafor and Chewbacca Williams are both really PF's.
  16. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

How bout Kurt Thomas giving us a year in the rotation (at Center) then not resigning him, giving us 8* mill to play with in free agency next year... It would take Nazr and Flip, but if we bring up Acker, we can use him to backup Rip, and use Kurt Thomas, a good defender at Center, not heavy minutes, but maybe 7th man, after Dysse
  17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I know that it is probably not possible, probably not reasonable, and definitely will not happen, but I would like to see any combination of players, except Rip, CB, Tay, and maybe Fino and Amir, traded for Memo and Darko, plus a decent back-up PG.

Oh, and bring Lambs in to coach this team.

It would not take all of the present players to make the deals so we would probably have either Dyce or Max left to help, and the rest of the holes would be fillable with draft and smaller trades. Rebounding might take a little time but with Memo's rebounding and Darko not having to defer to Dwight, they would probably be good, and Tay and the front court are pretty good rebounders in their own right. Max and Dyce can, as well.

I don't want to get too much into the details because probably nobody else will take it seriously, anyway, but I would LOVE to see it.

They might not get off to a good start but should be playing well together by all-star break.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lazy, we can only do that deal if you don't turn on Laimbeer if he has to get tough with Darko!

I like you a lot, and I am warming up to Darko, but Laimbeer is one of my all time favorites!
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

roscoe36, I am so completely with you on that that it is not even funny. Lambs is my all-time favorite Piston, even above Isaiah and JD.

Darko has had enough time now and if he would not go along with Bill, it would be DMC's fault, as far as I am concerned. Bill would be so good for both DMC and Memo that there is no way they could fail.

Since Lambs was not selected ahead of the 'spastic coach' and was not selected for the Magic (I wanted that because of DMC, too), I really want him here, and SOON.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lazy, I'd be all for it, except for the fact that Darko will not return to Detroit. He has bad memories that continue to haunt him. And if he did come back and it didn't work out well for him, then he would probably go AWOL.