Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

AWOL in his illegally tinted sports car! :D
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'd be all for darko returning to detroit, as long as it's in another team's uniform
  3. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I agree, Darko has way too many bad memories here, he plays better against us than he'll play with us.
  4. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I have to disagree about DMC being hamstrung by memories. If he was to be given reassurances as to his opportunities here, a Laimbeer to coach him instead of the spas, and truly a chance to contribute, yes to start, he would be more than OK here.

He is a big boy now, as evidenced by his improvement under still difficult cirumstances in Orlando. Look at the way he leads his team in the World's. It is not because the talent level is lower; it is not because of the style of play. It is because he is depended upon, has the respect of his coaches and teammembers (despite his youth) and a job to do that matters.

Get Lambs and bring DMC back. You won't be sorry. Give up whoever you need to to make it happen.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Lazy, you got a link for that? Is he playing now? I'd like to read up on that. Int'l basketball is getting more and more interesting to me. I also want to follow Delfie on his nat'l team.
  6. lazyberbs

Luke, I did not save any links but it was all over the news last Summer. The Serb coach was talking a lot throughout the news media in Europe about how Darko was like the linch-pin of the team and they would be expecting big things from him. As it turned out, he led the team in several areas. He was the go-to guy and thrived on it. But he does get bored when he is expected to do nothing but set picks and stay out of Grant Hill's lanes, etc.

This Summer's competitions have not started yet, at least not that I have seen. Delfino played well last Summer, too, as did Carlos Arroyo. As I can figure it, there are quite a few NBAers playing but they are not the only good players there.

I did not have NBA League Pass last year in time for the Summer games, but I believe I heard that they had some games on. I am pretty sure also that the less expensive NBA-TV had games on, as well.

The Serbs will be playing this year separated from Montenegro, and I believe that Krstic some of the other Serbians we have heard of will be playing, as well. I blieve the guard from Cleveland has said he would go and more.

Sorry to not have any links but when I was hearing about this last Summer it seemed to be pretty widely known. I heard more about it on the Orlando forums, though, as they had Darko and the Pistons have no more Serbs. I think the PistonsForum.com did have info on Delfino and Arroyo at the time.

If I do find some links or do see anything on the NBA TV outlets, I will post it.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pavlovic should be playing for Serbia this summer too, right? He would help them.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

are you kidding? what still difficult circumstances? the kid is a crybaby with no heart. if you gave him a starting position and 40 minutes a night he'd find something else to complain about.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

difficult circumstances of outplaying the starter yet still getting glued to the bench minutes. he should play 5 minutes less than dwight. honestly the offense should be ran through darko instead of dwight. he's still being forced to play low post only on offense and nobody passes it inside to him except the backups who rarely play. he's being used as basically a pick setter on offense wasting his talents. he still hasn't been developed like a lottery pick should have. he's had a difficult road compared to everyone else in his class.

he showed more heart than any other orlando player in the playoffs. he was also playing injured which showed heart. i disagree about how he would respond to starting and a significant role. he has that role on his serbian team and he's thrived as a leader as well as in production.
  10. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Develped like a lottery pick should? A lottery pick should be pretty much ready to go IMO. Darko will never be a great player in the NBA. I doubt he will be a good player even. At best an average player. We don't need him back. I wish we could have drafted someone else, but we didn't. We defently don't need/want Darko back. I like Nazr better then Darko and I believe Nazr is better then Darko.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm glad I'm not Darko. He has had a very, very hard life. First he has to practice in a hanger while bombs explode all around him. He finally gets his chance to leave war torn Serbia and runs right into foreign player hating Larry Brown, and his evil hentchman Ben Wallace, who conspire to keep Darko on the bench in an effort to further their own careers. Larry then tells the world that Darko is immature on the David Letterman Show.

[​IMG]

When the Pistons wise up and fire Larry Brown, everyone thinks that Darko will finally get his chance. But... here comes Flip Saunders, who doesn't understand anything at all about bloodflow or common Serbian Courtesy, and refuses to play the kid.

Next stop, Orlando. Brian Hill is an idiot who refuses to win, and insures failure by giving all of Darko's minutes to Battie. Howard and Hill conspire to keep the other players from passing Darko the ball. The only players who will are the backups, who realize his awesome potential.

What's next for this young kid? Will this unfair treatment EVER end?

Personally, I wouldn't trade places with this poor kid for all of the $18 million dollars he has already earned, or for the $7 million per year he may get based on his potential. It's just not worth it.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Linwood...I totally agree. I had tears streaming down my face as I read your post.
  13. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Please, Please, pass the Kleenex!!!
  14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it's all relative. i don't expect you to understand. in terms of a lottery pick a top 5 pick. darko hasn't been treated fairly. he's been treated like an undrafted tweener instead of darko the serbian gangsta milicic. don't cry tears for darko. cry for our aging frontline.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

linwood - post of the year. thank you for that.
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That was awesome. We need more posts like that.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Linwood,

If it were ever true that a picture paints a thousand words...I just don't know what to say man...I haven't cried so much since watching Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time, or since my poor hamster "Scruffin" got run over by the neighbor kid's Big Wheel® when I was but a lad of 10.

[​IMG]

Here is scruffy after the accident. He was never quite the same after we mistook him for dead and buried him. He crawled out of his grave a couple days later much to our surprise. We still feel guilty for giving him up for dead when he still had so much life in him. Kind of what Larry Brown and Brian Hill did to poor Darko. I wonder if they feel guilty too?

[​IMG]
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That is not really correct.

DMC average 24 minutes a game last year which is more than Dyess did (21 minutes a game). He also took more shots per game than Dyess did (6.9 to 6.6).

Considering that he for all intense and purposes that this was only his second year (actuall 1.5 years) that he played at all in the NBA and that he was only 21 years old, those weren't bad numbers. 24 minutes 8.0 points and 5.5 rebounds

:hoops:
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If he can play, should it matter? Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell have suffered with less minutes and you don't see them wanting to go back to Serbia!
  20. lazyberbs

Hey, linwood, cute little post. You used sarcasm quite well and got your point across, even though it was off the mark.

I missed only one Orlando game last season, saw all but one on NBA-LP. I can only give you my own jaded opinion but here it is.

Hill is gone for misplaying Darko, not taking away his minutes. But that is just part of the reason. The rest is his total ignorance of JJ. Leaving his best long gun on the bench game after game, quarter after quarter, while Dwight was getting swarmed by defenders who did not have to honor an outside threat, helped immeasurably.

I even agreed with him to bring Darko off the bench. He and Tony played pretty equal minutes and in every category, Darklo clearly outplayed Tony. That was good because very often the bench came in and clearly did better than the starters, and not only against the other teams bench.

But when Tony got injured and was clearly not playing well upon his return, Hill started him anyway. Their announcers were apologizing for Tony not being able to even catch the ball with his injured hand. Darko had very clearly outplayed Tony and then when Tony went down, DMC's numbers got even better. But when Tony came back, still hampered, he started him right away. Not cool! Not smart!

He never gave James Augustine a chance, either, preferring to bring two old, crotchety players off the bench. They even sent James to the instructional league where he did exceptionally well. Bringing him back, they continued to ignore him in lieu of Garrity and Bo.

The up-tempo game was by far the Magic's best chance. Everyone saw it, except Hill. They led the league in turnovers and especially Dwight, and the still left their only real long threat on the bench. But they continued to plod along and turn the ball over.

The very few times they deigned to run the offense through DMC, they were successful. Even Dwight got better shots without turnovers, because the other teams had to defend someone else. There were times when Tony was so alone as to be funny because they did not honor his shot.

Darko, Ariza and JJ made instant impacts when the came into games, but they would never be trusted. Jameer, who is totally not a PG, continued to start and flounder. Altogether now, everybody, say, "Turnovers". They had Darko turning down shot after shot. When he was allowed to shoot, he did well, although he was clearly looking at the bench to see if it was OK to actually put the ball up.

Those are the impressions of a self-confessed biased fan who saw about every game they played.