Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lost in Dumars message the other day was him talking about Amir and Jmax as opposed to Darko. CLEARLY he was referring to them although not necessarily by name. He said they brought it not only in practice but in the game. They brought in in the game when given the opportunity. I.E. THEY DID NOT CHOKE!!)

As a result, he will make sure they get to play next year rather than rot on the bench. Darko will continue to be utilized as a practice dummy until he starts bringing it to the games consistently.
  2. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

As much as i dont think Darko would work in Detroit (Due to his growing pains), i do have to give it to him for playing so hard in the playoff series, that kid was hungry. I def think he should be a starter next year, especially if he gets re-signed to a young team like the Magic.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He could've worked out in Detroit if he was getting consistent minutes. You have to remember, the kid was 18. Joe D. himself said it takes an average NBA player 3 years to fully understand what league is all about. Flip finished off what LB had started previously. Do you think Carmella, D-Wade, or Bosh would put up with sitting for 3 years?
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I watched two Orlando regular season games, and all of the playoff games. You are probably in a better position to critique Darko's actual performance than I am. My sarcasm wasn't actually aimed at Darko or his fans, but aimed at the endless parade of excuses for the kid.

I'm a huge fan of Tayshaun Prince. I've defended his heart and effort many times on this board. When Tayshaun cringed away from LeBron during the playoffs, it wasn't the coaches fault, and it wasn't his tired legs. Tayshaun blew it. He CAN'T let that happen.

Some of Darko's problems have to be because of Darko. I just can't believe that 3 NBA coaches, two General Managers, (Orlando withdrew their contract offer) professional basketball players, (those team mates who won't pass him the ball) have all conspired to keep this kid from showing his true potential. At some point is has to be Darko's fault for not playing well enough.

You've watched more games than I have, so I may be wrong on this point, but I believe many of "the experts" are right. I think Darko looks pretty good right now because he is playing with another player who demands a double and sometimes triple team.

Boobie looked all world against the Pistons when we left him open to triple team LeBron. When he faced the Spurs who covered him, he looked pretty average.

I think Darko may be very average.
  5. mikhail1973

I think the main problem with Darko is heart for the game. The kid has all the tools. He's still young. Maybe he'll learn. And maybe not. Only time will tell.

:hoops:
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That sounds right to me.
  7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't question darko's heart. he's the leader on his international team. he brought it night in and night out in the playoffs when it counts. he took over the 4th in game 4 in a way that d. howard didn't do all series. if you don't have heart you sit back and don't want the ball in the 4th and that isn't darko. i think the main problem with darko is misuse and lack of oppurtunity. he's never been the guy to get 16 shots in a game consistently for a season. he should have that oppurtunity to show his talents.
  8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

linwood, looking back at my last post, I was more than a little testy. Sorry! There is no reason other people can have a different opinion.

I agree with you, Darko is probably to blame for some of his problems, I have no way of knowing. My problem is I feel defensive because I think a lot of the criticism directed towards Darko is unwarrent becauseof the way he is being misused. He gets down as I am sure I would when he is not used correctly or enough.

A large number of us were criticizing the coaches down there when it seemed obvious they were pulling him from games right as he was set to get a double double. They did not start him when he earned it. Many of us believe his value was being kept down artificially.

The teammates not passing to him was not just him. Dwight complained about not getting enough feeds, too. Many times. The announcers talk a lot about how the team does not share the ball; does not move it; does not run enough; turns it over too much. And Grant was keeping some of the rest of the team down by using too much of the time himself. He just does not pass like he did in Detroit.

Brian hill is gone for the way he managed the team, not just Darko. Biut at the same time, a number of us believe he was doing as he was told.

He saved the team some millions by the way he handled things. But it might have cost them Darko.

It will not be the money that makes DMC's mind up.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would have an enormous amount of respect for DMC if that is true.

But we're talking about losing $20 million dollars (rough guesstimate) if he chooses to sign elsewhere. That's a LOT of money.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nothing wrong with that line of thinking...disappointing you didn't you any stats tho.
  11. mikhail1973

I still think that most of DMC's problems created by DMC himself. Tay was sitting on the bench behind Curry even though he was good enough to start. He didn't complain, he just waited for his moment. The moment he got a chance to do something he won a starting job and he's been a starter ever since. DMC didn't do anything on the court that would warrant minutes. When he was in the games, maybe he tried his hardest, but by his body language it just looked like he didn't care. He would jack up some jump shots, turn the ball over, and commit stupid fouls. He wasn't that great on Magic team when given time. He was good, but not necessarily great.
  12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Say it ain't so Lazy! Darko being misused in Orlando too? Hmmmm.

This seems to be the story of Darko's career. Boy, life sure is tough ain't it?
  13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Brian got fired because he misused Darko. Darko was the MVP for Orlando in their series against us. Not counting Sheed, Darko is better than every big man we have right now. And we gave him away.

As far as the new center, it's Sheed. Expect JMax to be promoted to starting 4, and Sheed gets moved to the 5.

New lineup of CB, Rip, Tay, JMax, and Sheed. Off the bench, Flip, draft pick, Dice, and Amir. DNPs of Nazr and the 2nd pick.
  14. mikhail1973

Nazr's gotta get some playing time if they have any at all hope to move him.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I completely agree with this assessment. I probably spelled assessment wrong.

Sheed, Maxiell and Prince should be a very formidable frontcourt.
  16. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

no way Maxiell should be a STARTER. He's a good 6th/7th man energy guy coming off the bench, but doesn't have the endurance or physique to start
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

But when Max has started, he's played better and better. I think he's shown he can handle heavy minutes, even if he doesn't have the conditioning to do it night in and night out.

Seattle Supersonics at Detroit Pistons, December 17, 2006 - Basketball-Reference.com
    Detroit Pistons at New Jersey Nets, January 31, 2007 - Basketball-Reference.com
    Detroit Pistons at Los Angeles Clippers, March 11, 2007 - Basketball-Reference.com
    Detroit Pistons at Milwaukee Bucks, March 25, 2007 - Basketball-Reference.com

Some folks want to see him bulk up, but I would rather see him lose 10 pounds and increase his speed and endurance.

His weaknesses in the paint aren't related to size. He doesn't focus on blocking out for rebounds, exploding to rebounds and his body control is well below his athleticism. Those things are all correctable without packing on weight and making him a baby Shaq.
  18. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Jason Maxiell is the next Ben Wallace! Not sure about that. Was fun to see him block Ben like three times in that Chicago game . .
  19. McSheed

McSheed Second Round Draft Pick

Wasn't Sheed mad that he was playing center?

Sheed is often, and very emotional, angry, pissed, etc; This might get him mad.

I cannot even begin to think of what the starting lineup is going to be, Joe D. seems to want to make alot of changes, and this could change everything, so this will be an interesting offseason indeed.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I like the idea of Sheed at center on offense, however, why do I see three fouls in the 1st half of almost every game on D?

I also like the idea of implementing a rookie backup PG into the rotation immediately!