Who is going to the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 16, 2012.

?

Who will be going to the Super Bowl?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2012.
  1. New York and Baltimore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New York and New England

20.0%
  3. San Francisco and Baltimore

13.3%
  4. San Franciso and New England

66.7%
  1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Final picks projection is 52% Patriots - 48% Giants..........

Picks are now locked.........

May your team have good fortune..........as long as you chose the New England Patriots.......:)

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Giants D is gonna take down the Pats

3. Nemo

Giants have run 19 plays........Pats have run 1.................9-0 Giants.........:(

4. Nemo

Halftime.........Patriots 10 - Giants 9.............:)

5. Nemo

End of third...Patriots 17 - Giants 15...........:)

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What about comments on Madonna?

7. Nemo

Giants won a hard fought battle. I'm glad Brady at least had a shot at a winning TD.

Big difference.........Welker drops one near the end........Manningham makes the key catch.........

Madonna was part of a very flashy halftime show. Glad to see the show was much tamer than her earlier stuff.

Nice commercial by Chrysler at halftime.........2:00 minutes long...

gotta love Clint Eastwood.............

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm gonna write-in Clint for President and De Niro for Vice President.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure that I like Clint's sentiment that America is at halftime... because that means that we're all basically living our lives during Madonna's halftime show.

As far as the game, it was one of the most interesting end games in history and we saw a coach with the cajones to implement the matador defense. I think Holmgren did it once too, but this was a huge situation.

To me it comes down to this: Are you more likely to miss an 18 yard FG (basically an extra point) or have Brady score a touchdown on you with 60 seconds. In NFL history, 98.5% of extra points have been successful, so by downing it at the 1, you have about a 1.5% chance of losing if you are the Giants (ignoring that Brady would have had 15 seconds or so to get in FG range with no timeouts... about 0% though). I don't know what Brady's odds of scoring with 60 seconds would be, but I'm going to guess that it's about 10% (adjusting upward because it's all 4th down territory for him at this point, so no punting on 4th). If this is the case, the Giant's odds of winning were about 6 times greater if they would have downed it at the 1 yard line and refused the free TD. I think that the ball carrier was smarter than the coach, because it obviously occurred to him as the sea of defenders opened up in front of him. You could tell that Coughlin didn't mention this possibility to him and he thought for a second "if Belechick wants me to score, then it may not be such a good idea." But then he basically fell in- maybe he couldn't resist the personal accomplishment, or more likely, he couldn't think the entire situation through on the spot and decided to error toward taking the points (way less criticism if it backfires vs the other way-- a missed FG for instance).

One other thing I thought was odd was that there was no official challenge on the sideline catch by the Patriots on the final drive. It looked obviously out in real speed, but go look at that replay again in the film room in your basement (after you are done re-reviewing the Pistons-Nets game from last week of course). I'm 25% sure that it was one of the closest catches in NFL history and the receiver had a blade of grass touching each toe.

All in all, I'm glad to see Eli one up Peyton, because he'll be hearing about it for the rest of his life.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

@ TaShawn...Nice summary

I like a couple of Madonna's songs but I always found her distasteful and not in the least bit attractive. But I actually thought she looked cute yesterday. Maybe because I like to think old people can still look decent. I guess it is easier when you have a Bazillion dollars to spend on it. She looked nervous through much of the performance which I found rather endearing.

Oh, but she is still repulsive.

I thought the Super Bowl commercials were :lame:. There was one toward the beginning I liked once someone explained it to me (The Darth Vadar kid follow up one...LOVED the original), but that was about it.

I've got to admit the Giants really came together just on time and earned the title. I like Tom Coughlin. Tough Super Bowl to watch. I hated both teams and Philadelphia fans are bitter and disgusted toward their team over the way the season went, anyhow. However, I AM thankful that there WAS a full season and the two owners at the Super Bowl were largely responsible for that so i was happy for both of them that they made it.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am tired of all the Manning hoopla...here's hoping none of them ever win another super bowl...including Archie's grandsons. With that being said both QB's numbers were similar, and with defenses dominating, the MVP was going to whatever QB had the ball late and would lead his team to the last score. It was set up for Eli to win once Welker could not make that over the head catch (despite what Giselle says) which would have been a tough one even for Megatron to pull in.

The catch by Manningham was the game winner but the QB gets the credit for laying it out there marching them down for the game winning TD.

I give Eli credit for W and MVP. and trumping Brady, but secretly I was one of the few who were pulling for the Pats, just as I was 4 years ago. Congrats to the Giant players and fans.....can we have two new teams in the game next year??

12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Would like to split as Maningham contributed 70% and Manning 30% of that big time catch. It was fun to watch the TD on bottom. Took the free TD and defense team would take care the rest, you know, spinning the game too much would induce back fire.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought the throw was more impressive than the catch. Mario did a nice job by not bobbling it, but the ball was threaded perfectly in stride between the defenders and it hit him right in the hands.

[​IMG]

Look how covered he is and the defenders had no chance. He didn't even need to dive or extend his arms. I'm not even sure that Manningham knew that he caught the ball... it just sort of hit his sticky gloves when he wasn't looking.

14. Keweenaw

Keweenaw First Round Draft Pick

Congrats on the win in the picks game guys!

I don't know about the strategy of not putting your picks in though. Kinda weak. A win is a win, I guess.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's all in the %tile.

16. Nemo

I liked the way that each guy gave 100% credit to the other for the catch. Manningham basically said that he makes that play in "practice" each week. It's just a practice type catch. He said something like, "I didn't have to catch it off my back, or the other guy's helmet or anything like that. Just a practice catch". A true MICHIGAN guy.........making another big play.........

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah dork Collingsworth [whom I think is a below average color man] said earlier in the game that Manninghan needed to get more room from the sideline because he wasn't giving his QB room to throw.
    How about you could never make that catch Chris so you are oblivious to that skill level !

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Congrats on 2nd place to us for the 2nd consecutive year!

I don't know about the left handed compliment though. Kinda weak. A sour grape is a sour grape, I guess.

Have a nice day.

:hoops:

19. Keweenaw

You don't know about it? I am left handed so there. It wasn't weak at all.....and there's no sour grapes brother, just rattling your cage a little.

Oh, and I wasn't on the team last year. I'm a free agent. I saw some complaints here, about losing to a single player, so I thought I would seek out a team to join. Saw some names from the old DetroitLions.com boards and joined them.

You have a nice day too.

Nemo likes this.
  20. Keweenaw

Oh and I just checked, if you would like I could move back to the "coalition" team. That way you take second. ;)