Who is THE MAN??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Only 2 games in and some interesting developments with the Stones. We have learned that the refs aren`t playing when it comes to calling techs, Flip is actually playing Delfino about 12-15 minutes a game I believe, and we are putting forth an effort to get to, or closer to the basket to score.

However, who is going to step up and be the man on this team, the leader. Will it be Sheed, who we all know is vital to the teams success, or will he be content not taking on that role. How about CB? It`s a contract year, and he is our PG.

Rip has been the most agressive player in these first two games, however, I see Rip as leading by example, not as vocal as Sheed or CB. Then there is Tay. He is also laid back and let`s his play speak for itself.

Is it me or does it seem like Tay holds the ball a little too long when he gets it. Is he waiting for something to develop or what?

Anyway, we need a leader on this team. Who will it/should it be?

2. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

I think Billups has already established himself in being the floorgeneral of this team. An as the season goes on, my gues is, he will grow more dominant in his role.
    Sheed is more like a "behind the scenes" man. His major contibrution in being a sort of leader is during practice, where he can challenge the young guys, and keep them on guard.
    I'am not sure about Tay. He has the ability to become the best player on this team for years to come, but being a leader..............

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I prefer the concept of the MEN; as opposed to the MAN. We got enough guys who have been there before. Rip is consistent as hell.

Be reeeel nice it Tay would get a bit more aggressive offensively.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He ain't a kid anymore. He just doesn't have it in him.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You're wrong there roscoe.

6. roscoe36

Sorry, but he doesn't have it in him. He's the ultimate complimentary player, but after 4 seasons, we shouldn't be wondering if he has another gear. He does not.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Just look at last years playoffs. He has it in him. Whatever it is.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd sure like to see him in an offense that was at least somewhat slanted towards the 3 spot before making this judgement. Tay's problem (and Defino's to a lesser extent) in Flip's offense is that they are the odd men out. Nothing gets run for them, they aren't moved around the floor, they just by and large stand in the corner and wait to bail someone else out with a three.

Someone said something very interesting in another thread (sorry, can't find it right now) - that the offense seemed to come to a halt when Tay got the ball. I think that's right, but not through any fault of whoever is playing the 3. The only plays for Tay are isolation, everybody else clear out kinds of stuff. You never see anything that gets him moving towards the basket where he can make some real decisions.

9. roscoe36

I know he has the talent to do it. I'm saying he doesn't have the mindset.

He looked like this under LB as well.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This mindset works for the best though. If we had a lot of guys who needed the ball this team would not win. You need players to fill in the gaps.

11. roscoe36

He's more talented than anyone on this team except maybe Sheed.

If you could blend J-Max and Tay, you would have a franchise player.

12. Dlev59

Ah, very interesting point DBA.

It is strange that when the ball comes to Tay he seems confused on what to do unless it is a post up, where he goes to the hoop and throws up his baby hook.

I hate that play, because the defense knows what`s coming and it does not put fear in a defense nor draws a double team. Not to mention he holds the ball for about 3 seconds before he starts his move.

I agree that there should be more plays run for Tay, perhaps something off the ball where he slashes to the basket, an alley oop, back door, something!

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CB can only do so much in keeping Sheed in line. [see bang your head into the wall guy]
    I don't want this team to be too loosey goosey so Flip S must demand more. [re:bang your head into the wall guy]
    Himat stay after Cro, do not let him go Darth!

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Roscoe is right about Tay. He can play, he may develop into an 18ppg guy who can go off and drop 30 once or twice a season, but he ain't "THE MAN". Just like expecting Sheed to be a 20/10 true PF that plays in the paint and gets to the line, is unrealistic so is asking Tay to be the Man. Tay is in his 5th year, he played 4 years in college, if he had another gear we'd have seen it by now. Tay does what does, and he does it well and it's exactly what this team needs him to do; although I'd like to see him get up to about 6-7rpg

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There were stretches when Tay was the most consistent scorer for the team in the playoffs (Orlando, Philly, Cleveland etc)... then there were the invisible man impersonations... I think you guys are right about needing better ways to utilize Tays skilz... I'd like to see him taking the pass off a screen more... where all he has to do is cut across the lane and use his lefty hook inside... or anyway that the defense can't put a body on him (back cuts, lobs etc)
    We do have 5 capable scorers, so someone is not gonna get enough touches... sometimes Rip trys to dominate the scoring too much...
    Here's the order of scoring options I'd like to see:
    Sheed in the post
    Chauncey posting most PGs
    Tay catching off screens
    Rip off curls
    Nazr on the blocks
    Flip Jr creating for others
    Brahma down low
    Chauncey from outside

16. Dlev59

I would switch the order a bit with those options:

Sheed in the post.
    Brahma down low (when in the game)
    Rip off curls
    Tay off screens
    Flip Jr creating
    CB posting up PG`s (just won`t happen, or not enough I should say)

17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I kinda like when Tay has the offense run through him. When he starts backin his guy down, he frequently draws the double (and sometimes triple). Should open it up for Nazr and others. I can do without him scoring as long as he's creating. But he's gotta be more assertive offensively.

We saw than in the Miami series fo sho. I remember Pat Riley saying (with a no-nonesense face) "we gotta find an answer for him." He's got "it" locked up in him, we just gotta figure out what the key is.

18. roscoe36

The key is to run a play through him.

I never liked CB calling the plays.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We could be witnessing the transition from Dice to Jmax... Brahma had 7 more minutes yesterday.

20. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

I don't think any one man can be called "The Man" since from what I've seen we are like 5 pieces to a puzzel.