Who is Tony Delk (waived friday/Good Pick-up)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 25, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Acording to Sherrod Blakely, T Delk was waived on Friday, Joe D. essentially waiting for him to clear waivers, then scoop him up with a quickness.

This resolves our back court issues, Delk is a reliable backup who can play both guard spots.

This is another one of Joe D's favorite type of discarded player who has something to prove.
  2. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

Re: Tony Delk waived friday/Good Pick-up

Thanks for the waiver update! Delk is the best on the market so yea I think Joe will do the right thing and scoop him, even if he has only played one game and totaled 7 minutes for the season.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

he's a pretty good shooter, and he can handle the ball.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Delk has travelled and been traded as much as the other guys on this team.

I like this move a lot if it goes down. Delk reminds me of Mike James. Older of course, but with something to prove and a really active game.

He could be a good companion for Lindsey in the backcourt.
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Delk is a lot like Mike James. He is a tough defender, and he can really heat up and catch fire shooting the ball. Can't wait to see some Hunter/Delk/Delfino action. That will be some suffocating defense on the perimeter. He'll probably have to work himself back into game shape though. He hasn't been playing for about a year.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i got no problem with picking up delk. but let's not kid ourselves: it's for the defense. he's basically lindsey (which I have no problem with, but many people on the forum seem to).

check out the comparative career stats:

FG % 3P% FT % PPG APG SPG A/TO
    Delk 40.7 34.0 77.1 9.2 1.9 .8 1.8
    Lindsay 39.0 36.6 74.3 9.4 2.9 1.3 2.1

I'm kind of surprised to see people so eager to make pick-ups at this point.

I really feel we have that right combination to get us through right now.
  7. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Why hasn't he played this year?
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

mostly due to injuries
  9. FreshPrince22

You can't compare their Career numbers, Lindsey hasn't done ANYTHING recently. Let's compare their previous 3 seasons (not counting this year, because neither have played much)...

Lindsey - 4.9ppg (35.1% FG, 29% 3FG)
    Tony Delk - 9.73ppg (41.1% FG, 37% 3FG)

And checkout the career playoff stats:
    Lindsey- 99 games, 4ppg (30% FG, 23.9% 3FG)
    Delk - 37 games, 9.7ppg (43% FG, 42.7% 3FG)

That doesn't even take into account that Lindsey is on a bum ankle this year. It's obvious that Tony has much more left in the tank. He's like a younger version of Lindsey.
  10. FreshPrince22

Where'd you here that? The Hawks fans that commented about him said it was because they were just developing the young guys. I also hear that the Hawks management were pissed that he picked up his player option in the offseason, so they kept him off the active roster just to spite him.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

delk would be a great pick up. he killed us last year at the palace. remember that one? pistons got blownout big by the hawks.
  12. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Who is Tony Delk?

Somebody fill me in here. I'm a bit of a homer, which is why my Fantasy Team sucks, but that's another story...

Anyway, what's the story on him?

Has he played this year at all?

Was he a supposed to be, a sure thing, that never really panned out?

Attitude problems?

Bad coaches?

Bad situation?

I mean, the guy got released right?

Why?
  13. FreshPrince22

Re: Who is Tony Delk?

He played 1 game this year. The Hawks fans I have talked to have said that there are a couple reasons he hasn't played. First, the Hawks are in a total youth movement. They have no use to Tony in 3-4 years, when they actually have a shot at winning a decent amount of games. They'd rather develop guys like Royal Ivey and Salim Stoudemire than win more games. Second, Billy Knight (Hawks GM) was supposedly pissed that Tony picked up his player option this offseason, when he knew he wasn't a part of the long term plans. So, it was probably a little of both. The Hawks fans I talked to said he was a class act, and was always a good teammate despite the lack of playing time.

As for Delk as a player... He is a combo guard that plays tough defense, can create his own shot, and can really catch fire from the perimeter (he scored 53 points once a few years back). Not sure if you remember, but last year he lit us up at the Palace in that blowout loss we had to his Hawks. He was hitting treys from everywhere from what I remember. He's not a great playmaker, but he can handle the ball, and I'm sure he'll have no problem dumping it into Dice in the post. FWIW, a couple Mavs fans actually said Mike James is probably the best comparison for him when I asked (he was a Mav a few years ago).
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tony Delk = Lindsey Hunter

Looking at their career stats they are very similar:

Hunter Delk
    FG% 39% 40%
    3P% 36% 34%
    FT% 74% 77%
    Reb 2.4 2.5
    APG 2.9 1.9
    STL 1.3 .83
    T.O. 1.3 1.0
    PPG 9.4 9.2

Here’s a player profile on Delk from Hoopshype:
    “Can play both guard positions…Pretty strong…Tenacious defender…decent 3 point shooter…Good team player.”

Profile from TSN:

Assets…Good shooter with range and enough quickness to create. Runs and handles the ball well.

Flaws…Small and frail for a two guard. Adequate at best when running the show from the point.

Delk did play about 10 more MPG than Hunter last year and had a better shooting %.

He’s missed 48 games this year with a foot injury.

There is a 4 year age difference (Delk is 32)

It seems like this acquisition would be somewhat redundant
  15. FreshPrince22

Mercury, you simply cannot compare their career stats when you're talking about Lindsey, who is on a bum ankle, and is in the last gasp of his career. He is no longer a great shooter (he's not even a decent shooter anymore). He is no longer a great scorer. He can still defend with the best of them, but mentioning career stats when referring to Lindsey is absurd. On the other hand, Delk averaged 12ppg on 42% shooting last year, and he really doesn't have anymore miles on his body since then. He's only 6-7 months older than the McWallaces. Once he shakes off the rust I expect him to have a good impact on this team offensively. He will add a guard off the bench that can and will get his own shot. Something we haven't had in a while.

Worst case scenario is that he's a perfect replacement for Lindsey if that ankle acts up. We simply aren't going to find anyone that will have close to the impact Delk will.

EDIT: BTW, he hasn't missed 48 games with foot injury. He's been healthy for months. The Hawks just aren't in a position where they would sacrifice their young player's development to win a couple more games.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We've got an open roster spot, so we should pickup somebody at least for injury depth.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

FP22, Everything I posted was from player profiles or actual stats... as for missing 48 games ... this is the direct quote from TSN on Delk "12-Feb-06:Missed 48 games (heel injury)."

I'll take your post as a solid endorsement for Delk.
  18. max

max All-Star

What bum ankle? Hunter was ready a month ago. Now he should be ready to go full steam for the rest of the season and post-season. Last year he could not handle a full-season+post now he should be set. Its no coincidence.
  19. FreshPrince22

We'll see, but I'm sure Dumars and Flip would like to have something already in place if his ankle were to start bothering him again to the point of not being able to play. They would be crazy to pass up a chance at a playoff proven backup PG/SG like Delk. Even if he is just a younger version of Lindsey.
  20. max

max All-Star

I did not say we could not use the extra depth. Just that Hunter was kept out of the rotation longer than his injury for a reason.