Who is Tony Delk (waived friday/Good Pick-up)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 25, 2006.

1. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Re: Who is Tony Delk?

Interesting that Tony Delk is being compared to Lindsay Hunter, in particular the suggestion that the two would be redundant.

In fact, hasn't Joe expressed more interest in finding a backup for Lindsay than for Chauncey? He's been quoted as saying something to the effect of, "if we lose Chauncey, forget about our chances; what I AM interested in doing is finding a guy that can replace Lindsay if he goes down."

I'm thinking that the fact that Delk is like Hunter is a very positive thing in Joe's mind. Because Delk can bring some of the same valuable things that Hunter brings (if Hunter goes down.)

Why bring in a guy with a totally different playing style at this point in the season? If Hunter and Delk are interchangable, it's a good thing, right? (maybe?)

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I haven't seen Tony Delk play much in the pros, but I remember him from college.

Tony played on the 1996 championship team coached by Rick Pitino. That team also had Walter McCarty, Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson and Ron Mercer. I think they only lost two games during the season and went 34 and 2.

Tony was a good pointguard with a good 3 point shot, pretty good passing skills, and excellent defense.

Of course, that was 10 years ogo, so I don't really know what to expect now.

I figure if Joe llikes him, he must have something left, and if he played for Pitino, he probably has good PG skills and a strong work ethic. :nod:

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah i'm sold on this logic now. also sold by freshprince22's post on a different thread that compared their numbers over the past 3 years (rather than over their careers, as i had done on that other thread and merc did here)...i think he could definitely contribute if not as part of the regular rotation then at least as a back up if lindsey goes down. but it may be that they are thinking of playing them both at the same time (delk at 1, lh at 2) for 4 or 5 minute defensive terror stretches...

the team's very clearly brought a different 'tude to the games since the break, which coincides with the trade, and with lindsey's return from injury, and with flip's relatively more liberal use of the bench.

i think they are looking as tough to beat (over a seven game series) as at any time since i've seen them.

4. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

of interest- Delk's nickname... "BUCKETS"

that is a good sign. When I heard the news that we might sign him, I smiled and thought, "Joe D strikes again."

5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

How are waived players prioritized? If the Pistons get competition from say, Denver, for Delk who wins?

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Delk is free to sign with anyone he wants, as long as it is meets the veteran's minimum. If the Pistons offer him $2M and Denver offers him $3M, he could take his pick.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Waived players can only be picked by teams with enough cap room to add their salary. That's Charlotte and someone else, whose names eludes me right now.

They take responsibility for the remainder of the waived player's contract.

The team with the worst record (at the time) gets priority.

If no one picks up the player off of waivers, he has "cleared" and becomes a free agent. The team that waives him is responsible for paying out the balance of his contract (or negotiating a buyout), and that player is free to sign a new deal with any team.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54

Bear in mind, teams over the cap are restricted in what they can offer a player. I'm no expert on that, but I would assume they could offer a minimum contract or other exception (if available).

8. roscoe36

Tony Buckets becomes a free agent in 4 minutes.

As many as 5 teams are reported to be pursuing him, including the Pistons.

9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

:fingerscr

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

you can stop crossing your fingers now because we got him.

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it feels like the pistons are now...complete. does anyone else get that feeling? like, we put our ducks in a row, manuevered and got all of the necessary pieces, and that something special is coming.

12. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

Yeah..I can breathe a whole lot easier now. Delk should be more than capable to fill in. There doesn't seem to be much of a drop-off without Arroyo either; so we should be fine. Now let's roll!

13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Does anybody know when he will join the team???

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

do you hink it might be after the road trip?:noidea:

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Delk was the best player available to fill our void at the PG- so I'm ok with him. I still think Joe's last trade sucked, but now it sucks a LITTLE less. Let's hope Delk gets fit, we're gonna need him.

16. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Hog, I absolutely agree with you.

I feel like we've trimmed the fat off the meat, so to speak. We've separated the wheat from the chaff. I can go on.

The Detroit Pistons look like a team ready for the trench run. Everyone seems to understand AND accept their roles now.

As far as Delk goes, what more could you hope for post-trading deadline? This is better than Goldwire, or Eisley, or any other trash that's out there.

17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I really don't think this makes much of a difference. I still don't understand the giddy reaction by some fans (not directed at you Wart) to this pick up. It provides us no complete level of insurance if Chauncey gets hurt. It just doesn't excite me at all.

Even on WDFN today they were giggling like schoolgirls over this signing....I just don't get it.

18. roscoe36

AS Blakely reported that Delk may become the primary backup PG. It could be significant.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm with Low on this one...yawwwn.

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I don't think this signing will make or break the franchise. But, I do think that Tony may bring back some of the heat off the bench that we had with Mike James. Personally, I'm excited. :nod: