Who Really Coached The Pistons Last Year?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 30, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I wonder how much this contributed to Lebron's 48 point game?

I doubt that this was the only time that Sheed may have done this last year.

Did we loose last year to the Cavs because Sheed was over riding Flip's play calls?

I sure hope that wasn't the reason that we lost last year to the Cavs.

:hoops:
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We know that Wallace defied Flip at some points and gave players instructions on refusing to play, but this is the first time I am hearing the extent. I think Joe has everyone, not just Flip, on the short leash. He won't hesitate to ship out of town anyone who is detrimental to the team.
  3. buddahfan

Sounds good to me.

Hopefully Joe D. keeps the pressure on all the coaches and players all year long so that they focus on winning or else.

4. mikhail1973

My issue with Joe was him talking it all up in the off-season and then taking a step back and letting it all go after the season began. At least it appeared to look that way. I may be wrong on this, but that's how it looked.
  5. buddahfan

Hopefully it will a lot different this year and to our favor.

6. mikhail1973

I sure hope so too. The big issue that I've seen so far is Flip getting lost when the team meets resistance in the playoffs. Everything was fine and dandy when Pistons walked over Magic and dealt with Bulls without too much of a resistance. But then when the going got tough he looked lost. He couldn't make adjustments and I am afraid that's what Sheed was sensing as well, which in term prompt him to try to do something. We know how emotional he gets, and emotions get the best of him at times. The only way Flip can keep his authority is to make effective adjustments in the playoffs. Pistons have enough to get to the finals, the puppeteer just needs to pull the right strings. Just ask Larry Brown.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Whoever called the defensive plays, they weren't working.
  8. buddahfan

That makes sense to me but unfortunately maybe that is part of Flip's character; i.e., to freeze in his thinking and actions and become indecisive when he gets under pressure or seriously challenged by someone else.

It that is the case then we need to find a replacement because that is a very bad character trait for a coach and by the time you are an adult character traits like that are almost impossible to change and only become worse as you get older.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's true...but it also refelcts very badly on Sheed for doing so destructive to the team. I'm not optimistic after reading this about the two of them getting along this year either. The best thing for the team would be to replace Flip as soon as possible.
  10. buddahfan

I am sure that Joe D. has known about this since it happened. While you may be correct ,it doesn't appear to me that something like your are suggesting is going happen at this point.

11. mikhail1973

Definitely agree that's what it looks like. Joe's hands may be tied on this and there may be 3 reasons for it:
    1. Ownership doesn't want to change the coach for financial reasons
    2. Joe doesn't want to keep Pistons coaching job a revolving door it would be a bad PR move to get rid of Saunders
    3. There are no candidates who are a clear cut upgrade (see Cola vs LB) - by that I mean no established coach available and Joe or Bill do not want to give reins to the likes of Laimbs or Curry.
  12. buddahfan

Given how much locker room power a player like Sheed has, Ben carry's the same weight, or at least did with us or maybe even more, it is easy to see how Sheed could sabotage Flip to try and force Joe's hand on this issue.

I am not suggesting that that is what Sheed did last year or will try and do this year, but it appears to me that it would be a possible scenario.

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That's complete BS. No player in the history of the league has gotten away with coaching the team himself in spite of the coach. Sheed now a player coach? There's nothing to back that up other than someone like McCrapsky's intense desire to shield Flip from public unrest. This sounds more like something that McCrapsky told some other media talking head and they found it interesting enough to regurgitate in their own rag.

This is the most outlandish accusation I have ever heard and is precisely why Sheed hated the media in Portland. Has anyone asked Sheed about this....ON THE RECORD? Has he had a chance to deny or confirm this kind of thing? This is serious and the result of such action would get most players traded or waived.

I'm not believing that for one second. You mean to tell me that the other Pistons are so weak minded that Sheed was able to "these aren't the droids you're looking for" the other 4-5 guys playing during that stretch into ignoring the coach? They apparently aren't smart enough to recognize that after Lebron's first 10-15 pts, that his suggestions were crap and they should listen to the coach? Are you kidding me? Really?
  14. mikhail1973

Especially if Flip will look lost. I guess a lto of Pistons success this year hinges on Flip.
  15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I must say Buddahfan if this is your idea of a thread to break out the new season, you've certainly managed to dampen my enthusiasm for the Pistons. And on the first day! Kudos!:nerd2:
  16. max

max All-Star

I must say I agree. Can't even see the article anyway. LA times I think. Why would they be writting about us?

Can't believe everything you read.
  17. mikhail1973

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This likely isn't true, and if it was nobody must have any respect at all for Flip and agree he's an idiot if Sheed can just be like do this instead.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Can't believe that anything like this would happen on the team. If it did, Joe Dumars would cut off the cancer as it develops. Sheed would be gone, end of story. A happening like this would have to be reported to the owner. He would make sure the integrity of the franchise would be restored. Just doesn't seem possible to me.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The article was written by Mark Heisler of the LA Times. He said:

"After that, it was revealed that Rasheed Wallace had been huddling the players up in James' 48-point game, canceling Saunders' instructions and calling his own defenses."

I wonder who revealed this information to him. It is interesting that someone in LA has this privileged knowledge about the Pistons that no one in Michigan has reported. Perhaps someone should call him (mark.heisler@latimes.com) out on it.