Who Really Coached The Pistons Last Year?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Perhaps it is something that Low could do since he's questioning anything that has been written about that matter.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Be happy to.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mark Heisler is a "national" NBA beat writer here in LA working for the LA Times and usually writes more about all of teams in the NBA as opposed to concentrating on the local slugs (Lakers and Clippers.)

If there is any dirt out there on any NBA teams he can dig it out as well as ESPN's Ric Buechler or David Aldridge. Since the Rasheed and Flip's issue appears to be common knowledge or innuendo and rumor all summer, he definitely would add it to his assessments of what may happen in this years season.

He normally gives his own weekly NBA power rankings as well as a midseason report on who's hot and who's not. I actually look forward to his tirade. :)
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The quote in my original post comes from Mark Heisler of the L.A. Times.

The fellow is pretty credible though he has been negative in his opinion towards the Pistons for as long as I remember, I never found him to write anything that wasn't true. That doesn't mean that he hasn't. It is just that I have never seen anything like that from him that another sports writer said what Heisler wrote was not true and was able to prove it.

Raftery and Heisler Recipients of Prestigious Curt Gowdy Media Award :: Basketball Hall of Fame to Honor CBS/ESPN Analyst and Los Angeles Times Writer at 2006 Enshrinement Festivities September 7-9

:hoops:
  5. buddahfan

I am really sorry that my thread has upset you. I had no intention of doing that. I created the thread because I believe the source of the quote, Mark Heisler, is a credible writer, and therefore the quote is news about our team.

As I recall Sheed and Flip had at least one meeting over the summer to iron their differences out.

I wouldn't get to upset about it. Peyton Manning overrides the coaches calls from the sidelines all the time and has been doing it for years. So far the Colts don't seem the worse for it.

6. buddahfan

Mark Heisler covers the NBA for the L.A. Times.

League play for this year started today. So Heisler in this mornings edition of the Times has about an 8 page section covering all the teams in the league, the conferences and things like that.

So that was part of his comment about us. Everything else that he wrote I felt we all were familiar with so I didn't quote it.

7. buddahfan

As far as I know writers are not required to reveal their sources. I believe that this is the law and they protected accordingly except in unusual situations. So it would appear to me that contacting him is not going get us the name of his source.

Whoever was in that huddle when Sheed supposedly said that could have mentioned it casually to someone in L.A. Like Tay is from L.A. so he might just have mentioned it casually to someone back in L.A. It could be this person mentioned it and so on until it came to someone who gathers information for writers for a living. That person then just passed it on to Heisler. This is just one way the info could have gotten to him.

On the other hand it could have been made up in L.A. by someone that Heisler believes is credible and used the information accordingly. However the problem with the making up theory is that good writers always confirm something like this from a second source. So if it was made up then both sources would have to be in conspiracy on this issue.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

If this is true, I think it is imperative that the Pistons coaching staff have a long talk with Rasheed. I think Micheal Curry should be the one to do it, since both Flip and Wallace's defensive schemes really sucked against the Cavaliers. Maybe Mike can give him some pointers for next time.
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

This was actually talked about after the finals. It was "out there" but apparently folks around here didn't have room for it on their radar next to the threat of a ship sinking into mediocrity at best. (i.e. Chauncey leaving, Joe letting Amir go, breaking up the rest of the core in exchange for another teams hopes and dreams)

Nevertheless, it actually was brought up locally after the Pistons were eliminated. Joe refused to speak negatively about any single person or specific situation directly at the time, so the subject lost momentum and went away.

Long Story Short:

This story is old news. It was "reported" by multiple sources. It is very possible that it really happened as reported, and is just as likely to be true than not true. Take it for what it's worth.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Ben broke Cola's plays all the time.

His public destruction of Rick's playbook during training camp is the stuff of legend.

Point guards break coaches plays on offense all of the time.

Switch over to defense and suddenly it's unbelievable?

There's plenty of reasons for a defensive breakdown, and the leader of your defense calling the wrong plays out there is certainly one of them.
    Rasheed is the leader of the team on defense. The team relies on him all of the time out there. That story is completely in the realm of possibility, whether it is really true or not.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

You present a good list of information here. If all this is true, then I'm disappointed with Joe for not settling this in house off season. [STRIKE]Kinda makes me like Matt Millen a little more this morning[/STRIKE] Kinda makes me a little less happy with Joe Dumars this morning.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He did settle it in house.

This is why the story never caught on locally. Joe refused to publicly address any negative press concerning specific personnel or specific situations.

IMO, it was a very stand up thing for Joe to do. His tactic was so effective, even the hardcore fans on this site forgot this was ever "news".
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

IMHO, That means that Flip and Sheed will lead us to the finals this season and all is well with team chemistry. I just wonder if that's true.
  14. max

max All-Star

Thats a good point. At one point does the players freedom to change plays as they see it conflict with what the coach is trying to do? When Flip came here he gave Billups the freedom to call plays so he would not have to yell them out on the sideline like some coaches do.

I guess if Flip actually drew something up during a timeout and Sheed cancelled it and called something else then we would have a problem. Or did he try Flips play and the expected matchups were not there? Who knows.

And yes one also has to ask what the other Pistons were doing in all this.

At any rate. Its time to move on for another season and hope they learned something and will do better this post-season. As Linwood pointed out ( in one of the threads about this ) we do have Curry now to help maintain order and help out on the plays.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Plain and simple, I don't believe it.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Ben was calling audibles, then he did a good job of it.

Sheed is no Payton Manning though.

Maybe he can get one of those strap on wristbands this year, so that he can call just the right play in the right situation. And since there is no contact in the NBA anymore, it may as well be digital.

Here is picture of Delfino wearing one of the new models.

[​IMG]
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Are the intricacies of an NBA defense even comparable to the offensive playbook of the NFL?

Double or don't, press or don't, trap or don't, force baseline or middle, zone or don't, switch on picks or don't, play up on the perimeter or pack the lane, run under the screen or over it....

I have to think Manning has alot more on his plate. :)