Who should coach the Pistons after Curry?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Jun 30, 2009.

?

Who should Joe hire?

1. Bill Laimbeer

44.3%
  2. Avery Johnson

16.5%
  3. Jeff Van Gundy

13.4%
  4. Doug Collins

6.2%
  5. Someone else

19.6%
  1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Laimbs is probably a long shot because he would be another rookie NBA coach, and I doubt that Joe or the ownership want to take a chance with another rookie. He would be my pick. I like JVG's candor as an announcer, and do not like Collins's lack of candor (never really speaks his mind on the air, though supposedly he does that as a coach). The Pistons might regard Collins as a safe choice, because: (a) he is a known quantity to the Pistons management; (b) he did reasonably well here in 95-98, even though he got canned midway through his last season; (c) he has a good deal of experience as an NBA coach and will not embarrass the organization the way Curry did on so many levels; and (d) he has a lot of drive to succeed and may have an excellent rapport and relationship with Joe.
  2. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

One additional advantage of Laimbs is that I think he would stimulate a lot of interest among fans, and would be a heck of a draw at the Palace.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Monica Conyers is going to have some free time.

EDIT: NVM, she'll be behind jail bars.
  4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Sounds like the coaching search is down to two: Collins/Avery...thoughts?

I'm not huge on either, but I'll go with experience and familiarity to Dumars in Collins over a sort of flash in the pants in Avery.
  5. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

Re: Sounds like the coaching search is down to two: Collins/Avery...thoughts?

well I wanted Avery last season so ill still hope for him again. He didnt fit the best in DAL because he wanted guys to be more physical and tougher on D but they didnt have the team to really but they still were a good team. I think he would be a good option for us to go to.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Re: Sounds like the coaching search is down to two: Collins/Avery...thoughts?

What really worries me about Avery is how Devin Harris looked after he left. Avery really tore him apart, and in the end it didn't make him a better player in DAL.

I don't want him to micromanage Stuckey, but i do like that he forced Harris to play defense and we all know Stuck is in desperate need of that.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In reference to Devin Harris, he's good, he would've been this good in Dallas too - even with Rev Avery as coach BUT...BUT, let's remember that the Nets SUCKED, I don't put much stock into players who put up major numbers on lottery teams with no talent around them and you can take virtually any and every shot.
  8. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Not bad at all, Mitchell is a great coach, but poor on the X and O's. (no where as bad as Curry)
  9. hifiPistons

hifiPistons Second Round Draft Pick

Im sorry for a noob question, but what are X and O ?
  10. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

We love noobs! When coaches draw up plays (for example, on mini whiteboards during timeouts), X's represent the defensive players, and O's represent the offensive players. Five of each of course.

Some coaches may be good a X's and O's (the technical aspects) but poor at managing personalities and egos, and motivating players, etc.
  11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And this is why one of them needs to be sent packing before next season.

Letting the inmates run the asylum establishes the very culture that Joe claims he intends to squash.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

All of this talk about "Coach with experience", yet Laimbeer is winning this poll by a bunch.

Interesting.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're not sexist.
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Listening to the radio yesterday and 97.1 kept saying that Laimbeer would never get the job because of no experience. I guess I have a few questions for you guys.

I realize that he does not have NBA experience but are you saying that WNBA experience means zero? He has experience with the X's and O's, in game situations, adjustments and winning.

The other things that make me believe that he would succeed is that he not only won three championships with the Shock but they were dead last the year before he took over. It is not like he was handed the keys to a Ferrarri (sp). He started from square one and also being the GM; built a dynasty. Wearing the two hats gives him perspective on managing players, contracts, etc.

It just seems to me that he has been groomed to take the next step and the reason that he stepped down this year was he had nothing else to prove at the WNBA level. His teams respected him and played hard for him. 3 Ships in six years in't too bad.

Just sayin'.
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, if you ever watch the old footage of the bad boys when they show the behind the scenes action, Laimbeer was the dominator in the locker room. Isiah was the leader on the court and Dumars was the leader by example off the court, but Laimbeer was the vocal leader of the team. He was pumping dudes up and keeping them in line. He had that aggression/ killer instinct and confidence that you want in a head coach.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't remember if it was Isiah or Laimbs that broke their hand in a locker room/practice fist fight.

Those were the days. When guys literally got into punching matches over who would start or how they were playing.
  18. G-man

G-man Starter

zeke broke his hand on the side of laimbeers head, the resulting injury accelerated the end of zekes days on the hardwood..
  19. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

I would be happy with either Avery or Laimb. Maybe hire Avery as Head Coach and Laimb as Assistant Coach. I wonder how their personalities would mash though hahaha :P
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why did Avery get fired again? I honestly don't remember. Wasn't he one of the "coach of the year" guys who got canned shortly thereafter?