Who Will Step Up?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Now that Big Ben is gone someone has to step up on this team. Who do you think it will be? My guess is Tayshaun, but you can make cases for Sheed, Chauncey, Rip, Nazr, Dice, Delfino, and possibly Coach Saunders.

2. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I think Tay will step it up a notch. I also think Coach Flip might be better this year. I think he might have been hesitant last year in making changes because of Ben, trying to keep him happy.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip Murray.

you might think i'm crazy at first, but it could be the perfect scenario for this guy. coming off the bench with a license to shoot (a lot) in saunders offense-orientated system. we always bemoaned the fact we didn't have an impact scorer coming off the bench. well, this guy might end up making a lot of people eat their words.

or not. what do i know? :noidea:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think it will be Flip Murray or Tayshaun Prince.

The guy we need to step up the most is Flip Saunders. I truly believe after seeing Brown and Saunders that the coach is the 6th starter.

5. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Both of you guys are onto something. Tay has always deferred, and in those times he hasn't, he looks like an all-star. Flip ended up in an almost no-win situation - some of it his own creation, but mostly just the situation. He had almost zero authority with that club and it really showed.

I have a feeling that this is the year that Tay will no longer defer to the other players. It's really his time to take more of a leadership role - if only by example. His skills are exactly what the league is telling us they want. I think Tay becomes the second highest scorer on the team this year. Somewhere in the 18 ppg range.

Flip says he only opened half of his playbook and he wants to use the zone more. I hope those plays help move the ball from one side of the court to the other and he forces the other team to play hard on D. Theorhetically the zone should help cover our weaknesses on the perimeter. Since this is essentially Flip's first real season here I think I'm ready to give him a mulligan for last season.

I think that Sheed might be one to step up the most over last year. Maybe not so much in numbers, but in his impact on the game. His D has always been underrated and we all know he thrives on chaos. I will be looking for him to improve his FG% and overall efficiency rating (both near career lows).

6. max

max All-Star

Who do I think it will be or who do I most hope?

I think it will be Prince but we could really use some help up front so I am hoping it will be Sheed, Dyess, Mohamed or even Maxiel.

Great if Prince and the frontcourt stepped up. I am assuming Billups, Rip will be the same.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

theres no question saunders has to step up. but i'm not exactly filled with confidence. hmm, better not turn this into a flip saunders thread.
    :focus:

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Dale Davis. He will keep us legit when the team slacks off. It won't be sexy but it'll be necessary.

It's hard for me to put Rip because he so much last season.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

carlos delfino

will be unleashed upon the league. his jumper is much better than people think. his driving ability is perfect for the way the league calls games now. he is the only piston that will create his own shot then throw down a monster jam. with consistent minutes he will give consistent offensive producttion and we all know he's a lockdown defender.

10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

If Sheed would step up his game just 25% we would be at Wallace X 1.25, and down only -.75 Wallaces for the summer.

11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Re: carlos delfino

Free Kool-Aid for everyone! Come and get it!

Seriously, I hope you're right. I would like nothing more than for Flip to be unable to pull him off the floor. :fingerscr

12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you bballjay, except for Fino's jumper- that's surely his biggest weakness. He shoots pretty bad. But, as you said, the new rules fit perfect for a guy whith his ability to create a shot. I'd say he could score alot but he has to gain some respects by the refs at first. Right now, he'd get about 1/5th of the calls our beloved Wade gets

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I think the entire orginization has to step up. From Joe D, Flip, and each player that is called upon to contribute.

The NBA has wriiten the eulogy for our beloved Pistons, the grave marker has been posted. What better time to start kicking a.. and taking names, as a TEAM!

Joe D must step up if his club starts to come unglued as it did last year. Flip must be a coach that will hold his players AND HIMSELF accountable!

I say everyone must step up, then and only then, we will be ok.........

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yeah but DLEV, who will step up the most? :P

15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Everybody!!!!!!!!:eyebrows:

16. max

max All-Star

Everyone is going to have to step up their rebounding efforts. Have to find a way to replace 11 a game. I always thought there was too much standing around assuming Ben Wallace was going to grab them.

17. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

nazr said his main focus was rebounding, hopefully he can grab enough boards that our other players might only have to get 1 or 2 more a game.

18. max

max All-Star

What he wants to do and what he is capable of doing are 2 different things. He did play well for NY so hopefully SAN was a chemistry thing.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It would seem that Sheed could benefit the most by Ben's departure... he's less likely to draw a double team in the paint... even a passive double where Ben's man would cheat.
    Still Sheed has to be motivated to take it down low.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Every summer Rip drastically improves a part of his game. In 2 seasons Rip has went from a liability on defense, and a bad 3 point shooter to a top defender who was first in the league at 3 point percentage.

If Rip can improve something again this summer I hope it's his defensive rebounding. This team needs to make up for those 12 lost boards every game.