Who Will Step Up?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

• Flip – has to convince this team they can win without Ben. Yeah, they’re professionals, they know what they can do, etc., but they’ve lost a big part of the team. If Flip was holding back last year, that has to stop and he has to make this team his. I believe he will try and I believe the team will respond.
    • Tay – took a step backwards last year, maybe a contract honeymoon, maybe never found his role in the new offense. Must shoulder a much bigger rebounding burden. Time for some dirty work.
    • CB – has to sustain the pretty amazing progress he made last year in assists and turnovers, but has to stop the shooting slide – he must shoot the ball better.
    • Dice – needs to go from a 20 MPG guy to a 25-28 MPG guy, and get relatively more productive.
    • Defino – assuming he gets the chance, has to either put up or shut up – offense, defense, jumpers, drives – he has to become nearly as important off the bench as Dice.
    • Linz – has to remain healthy for the full run
    • Everybody else has to pick up a bit, but not as much as 1-6.

I think they can all do it. I don’t think it’s a question of skills. It’s a question of turning back the clock to when they felt they had to scrap for everything. If the sense of entitlement ends (for the players, not Flip, who I don’t think ever had one), then the wins will come.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i want rip to improve his passing. he jumps too often and turns it over. i want the triple double threat rip back that we had. rip increasing his passing ability will only make his offense easier. but then again this year he has someone to pass it to. teams were on to that oop he usually throws to ben.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think teams defensed it particularly well, I think that Rip did not get the ball in a passer's position very often last year because everything ran through the PG.

Also Rip would make plenty of passes out of TWO CHEST once he started drawing help. Not running that play took him out of situations he could distribute from.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That would be great, but I would much rather have him rebound better. We will be better on offense without Ben, but we lose a lot in the rebounds with Ben gone. Tay CB and Sheed are all good passers so I'd rather have Rip improve his boards.:)

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

rip shoots the most so that would really be like him following his own shot. i don't know how many rebounds you can expect from your shooting guard. rip also is now drawing the other teams best offensive player so that makes it difficult to rebound also.

hey i'll take more rebounds, but more assists would really make my day. rip is such an offensive threat more assists would come easier to him than more rebounds since he isn't a leaper or really strong.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Rip is unusual because of his run/catch/shoot game. That is what makes him a threat--an exceptional player. Everytime he has strayed away from that game, the results are mixed and sometimes poor. Reggie knew the limitations of his game but he was so good at what he did, he was a force. Where Rip has improved is his defense.

Tay still has an upside and much of the offense can be run through him. His defensive assignments and playing time need to be lightened. For that to happen, Chauncey needs to be a fall back 3 option at times.

Delfino can drive but has yet to get results. Many players can drive but not finish in the NBA. I hope he gets over the hump, he may, but many never do. His shot is very ordinary. But he is young and IF he works on it, no reason he can't improve.

7. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``I truly believe after seeing Brown and Saunders that the coach is the 6th starter.''

Coaching matters. I think that's the lesson of these playoffs, more than any garble about new rules or Wade getting whistles. What Riley did was amazing. What was also amazing was what Flip didn't do. On paper the Eastern Conference looks wide open. We could easily end up in the ECF against the Heat. The hunger will be on the other side this time; they'll be satiated and us with the chip on our sholders. But given the Riley vs. Flip matchup, it's hard to say we can take them.

As for who will step up, I think Tay will unfortunately remain the fourth option. This is now unquestionably Chauncey's team, and he's the guy that needs to lead it. He needs to run the offense and prevent the stagnant ISO game.

8. dba

I agree that Riles was pretty impressive. And that Flip looked bad in comparison, but I'm not sure that the gap is as large as you credit. The Heat players were highly motivated and they executed everything Riles asked them to do - JWill shooting the lights out, Wade shooting the lights out, etc. That's a lot of execution. And it wasn't as if the Pistons started doing badly when they met the Heat - those last five against Cleveland were just as ugly.

I'll still take a bunch of PO-ed Pistons not in the worst shooting slump of the season and Flip over Riles and a bunch of old satisfied guys.

Oh man, I'm starting to sound like a homer.

9. hack

It's tough to count on the Heat becoming as lazy as we were when we played as champions. They have Riley and Wade, who may have a superhuman will to win. We'll see next year how it effects Wade. But as long as Riley's there, they'll play hard.

10. dba

Maybe so, but don't count out the ability of Walker, Williams, and Payton to go totally headcase at the drop of a hat.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Miami made no changes and that spells DOOM for the Heat. You have to change whether it be a little change or a big change.

12. hack

Agreed on Walker/Williams/Payton. No way will Miami control the paint on D like they did last year. But I'm not convinced that's enough to overcome the Flip v Riley aspect of that potential series, or the 5-on-8 factor.

13. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

I'm calling it today we have to look at the chemistry of Tay and Nazr. I think they will fit better on the floor. Look for those two players to come up big as the season goes on maybe by January. (wildcats of Kentucky in the House).

Sheed is the major player that has to step up, I he knows it more than anyone. The rest of the guys need to just keep doing what they do. GO PISTONS!!!:ohwell: