Who would you be for a day?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Warthog, Feb 16, 2009.

1. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

As much as i wanted Chuancey to change his attitude, I didn't think that his number would be justy given to another player that he got traded for. You guys don't think that made Iverson or the Pistons team a little uncomfortable??

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I care. He was a Pistons for six years.

And i really don't understand how anyone got that from his statement. I doubt he was 100% serious when he said it. And even then i don't see how this leads to he prioritizes whatever else above winning a championship. Selfishness and ego had little to do with why he was traded.

I'm sorry i can't take comments criticizing another player's "team mentality" from an Iverson fan seriously.

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Can't or won't? And, if I may, why not?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's not a Piston anymore.

What set me off was the "#(*@& Joe" comment.

I don't agree with everything Joe does. During the Bad Boys era, he wasn't even one of my 3 favorite players. But he's been incredibly loyal to this franchise, and secondarily to this market and it's fans.

He gave Chauncey a chance, and long term financial security when no one else was lining up to get this guy. When Chauncey had bounced around on 6 or 7 teams. Joe gave Chauncey the opportunity and environment to have a successful career. Without Joe, Chauncey might have flamed out on the journeyman path he was on.

Then after providing opportunities such as bringing in Flip, which got Billups into the All-Star circuit, Joe took care of him financially again, and then traded him back home where he is an even bigger toast of the town than he was in Detroit.

Joe is not the bad guy in this. He probably could have screwed Chauncey and traded him to the Clippers or the Bucks, but he did right by him.

Those are the facts of the situation about Joe and Billups.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe took care of Ben in a similar way and got screwed over by him on the 2nd go-around.

At least CB didn't do that.

6. roscoe36

There is a reason why AI is happy to be here. There is a reason why McDyess chose to return. There is even a reason why Hamilton re-signed, why Hunter and Elden Campbell allowed themselves to be traded away so they could get waived and re-sign.

There is a reason why Special K does the broadcasts with George, and Rick and Bill manage the ladies team. There is even a reason why Mike Curry is here.

Despite all of the crap this season, the drama, the tough record, this is a special place. It always has been. Detroiters (and to a lesser degree Windsorites) don't have the pretentiousness about them that you might find in other cities and towns. We're hard to fool because our standard is, "did you work hard?"

We know that if you work hard and fail, you just have to keep trying, but that no one can succeed without hard work. The Pistons of the last 3 years could have been greatness. Heck, the last 4 years. But they didn't work hard all of the time. They got caught up in celebrity, endorsements, All-Star games. They started believing you could turn it on after the All-Star game, that it would all come together once the playoffs started.

They took what made them successful for granted.

If Chauncey is having any sort of renaissance in Denver this year, it is because he has re-discovered his work ethic.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All CB is doing is partying with old friends. He just had to loosen up a bit and get that old playground mojo going again.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

admit it.....YOU CARE!!...cmon...cMON...say it..SAYYYY IT!!!!!!!!

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Can't and won't. For most of AI's career his face would probably be in the dictionary under selfish, ego, and not a team player. If you were an AI fan for all of his career, i find it hard to understand how you can be so critical of another player's team mentality especially since said player basically had the opposite career path of AI and built a name for himself on the precise thing he "doesn't have".

And what does that have anything to do with anything that i said ? I'm expressing frustration that Joe IMO made a bad trade (and that bleeped out $^$$# was supposed to represent dammit Joe hence the length) just like when people express frustration towards Joe over the Darko pick, the lack of bench players, firing a coach, keeping a coach, etc.

Talk about overreaction.
    So what is the criteria for this standard exactly? I see player(s) that don't work hard on defense constantly that are heralded as the gods of effort. Is this standard subjective;according to the mood that someone's in that day, whether they like a player's personality . . . ?

I wasn't aware that the Pistons could coach themselves or were head and shoulders better than any other team in the NBA. I'm really sure effort was solely the problem.

--------

As for Chauncey, he looks exactly the same as he did here in DEN. Same cavalier look on his face, same methodical attitude, same game, same moves, etc. The world will not end if people admit this was a bad trade or that they underestimated how important he was to the team.

10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm an any-kind-of-Pie man. :nod:

11. roscoe36

I can only answer for myself.

It wasn't a lack of talent. Or swagger. Or experience. Or opportunities.

It was a lack of hard work and commitment to winning. Not just Chauncey, but Rip, Sheed, Tay as well. No excuses, they did not get it done the last 4 years with Billups. They might have come close, but they didn't get it done. That is also a fact. I'm not saying you are revering these guys like champs, but I think we're forgetting that they won 1 title with 6 cracks at the ECF. They were good, but they were not great.

I've watched that for 6 or 7 years already, I was ready to see something new.

Well, the problem is, and this isn't an appeal to populism, but you're in a pretty small minority on damning the trade. I'd say most posters have expressed that they are hopeful for the cap space, and that they have to admit we probably did not have another title run in the squad as it was constituted. The reason why people are not admitting it, is because they generally seem to disagree with your perspective on the trade.

You keep saying this was a bad trade, but it isn't over yet. Not by a long stretch. That would be like calling the game after the 1st quarter. We haven't even finished this season, let alone re-sign AI or shop in free agency.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For the City of Detroit, winning a championship and having a crack at a couple more was pretty great. Maybe this wouldn't have been great for the Celtics, but in Detroit, this streak was only bested by the Bad Boys, who also had their share of disappointments. 1 title difference and these guys had a game 7 where they could have equalled that great feat.

13. roscoe36

Don't forget the Bad Boys also lost in a Game 7, robbed by the refs.

But you're right. There are people who will blame AI for Chauncey not being here, and the second guessing the trade is inevitable and will probably last at least another year.

I, like HQ, was tired of Billups routine over a year ago. When AI arrived, I have to admit, I was no fan. I never bothered to pay much attention to the guy. Despite his true shooting percentage, he plays pretty hard and does some great stuff. He really stinks in man defense, but his hustle is as good as anyone, and considering his size and frame, downright heroic in my opinion.

If AI was traded somewhere else, I would not follow him. That's just me. I've always been bigger on the team than specific players.

In the end, people will diss Chauncey, and people will diss AI, and like people obsessing over Ben when he was a Bull, or Darko when he was with the Magic, Pistons fans will just have to let it work out of their system. Admitting the trade was bad, isn't going to bring Chauncey back. Posting every flaw that AI has, is not going to bring Chauncey back.

Tonight, AI suits up for my team. I want him to succeed just as much as people want Amir to succeed. But not because I want to show Chauncey up, or Denver fans, or Chauncey fans.

I just like to see the Pistons win, and to do that, we need AI (amongst others actually on our team) to play well.

14. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Point 1:

Sex and weed parties with Gabrielle Union, mind you.

And if I were Dwyane Wade I'd probably dress like an idiot too.

Point 2:

How the hell did this thread manage to turn into another Chauncey argument?

15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

NVM. Here it is. More overanalyzing of something that's not even true. Playfulness and cheekiness may be hard to detect over the internets but Chauncey's comment was just dripping of it.

16. max

max All-Star

I have to side with lpgirl on this one. Giving away CB's number 24 hrs after he was traded was kind of Bush League. Not a hanging offense but it could have been handled differently. The guy was the MVP of your 3rd title in 50+ years of the franchise.

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

From Roscoe:

I, like HQ, was tired of Billups routine over a year ago. When AI arrived, I have to admit, I was no fan. I never bothered to pay much attention to the guy. Despite his true shooting percentage, he plays pretty hard and does some great stuff. He really stinks in man defense, but his hustle is as good as anyone, and considering his size and frame, downright heroic in my opinion.

Did I say that? :burgereater: < Me eating crowburgers!!!!! LOL

18. roscoe36

I'm done. Sorry if I offended anyone.

19. max

max All-Star

Its not that. I love this team but they could handle departures a little better. Goes along the lines of LB was bad person, Ben Wallace was a malcontent and CB had to tune in to see his replacement donning his Jersey number. To players thats an insult.

I agree with each of those moves but why they feel the need to kick sand in the face of arguably the 3 most significant Pistons of this decade on their way out the door is beyond me.

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

what? did u fart or something??????? :eek::eek::eek: