1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

who would you hire to coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by copper, Dec 10, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

If you look at how Dumars selected his coaches.

Carlisle. Summer of 01 saw quit a few candidates apply for the job. In the end Dumars selected Carlisle for his years spent as an assistant coach and his 1 year as an announcer where he claimed to craft a defensive system that would work with any team. It was a success but he lacked in player development skills and in the end Dumars felt as though we needed an upgrade.

LB. 30 years of experience and a teacher type coach who was going to be the guy to put our young core over the top. It worked.

Flip. After LB left ( not going to get into that ) Flip was selected for his vast offensive playbook that would put more O into the Pistons lineup. It worked but he could not always get the players ( Sheed ) to follow the plays - especially when the heat was on.

Curry. No selection process, no experience or vision other than he would make the players accountable - and Dumars trusted him. So far he has not shown any type of system or player dev skills.

Botton line. You can be the greatest motivator but you also need the chalkboard skills to draw up those plays ( both offensive and defensive ). And to make it all work with what you have.

Not to say that Curry will not get better but it may be a tough ride in the meantime.

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah, I know we're supposed to give him time to work his system in...but I don't think Curry is up to the job. So far...he looks totally clueless.

To be fair to Curry, here's some questions I'd like to know "the answer" to: Did Joe consider the impact the trade might have on his 1st year coach? Did he consider the dynamics of a controversial HOFer being dumped into the Pistons' mix? Or was it just about cap space and this season's results were sorta inconsequential to his decision?

3. max

max All-Star

Well, I would imagine he thought certain players would be making more of an impact than they have been. I don't think he gave Maxiel a 3 year extension to sit on the bench. Seemed to have high hopes for Amir by passing on Josh Smith. Kwame 2 year deal at 4 mil per.

From what Curry said over the summer about getting into the paint and increasing rebounds. How has any of what we have seen recently been in line with that?

Still early, maybe they will work it out.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i would as well. it pays better than my current job!

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think it's all about the cap space Det (along with a perceived need for a go-to scorer that can get his own shot).

Joe essentially traded an aging (although this year he's proving to have PLENTY left in the tank) Chauncey Billups for a premier 2010 FA.
    James?
    Bosh?
    Wade?
    Kobe?
    ...Jeff Foster?

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here's a recent quote from McHale:
    Maybe he's on the money and that is the side of coaching that MC is having trouble with right now. Curry seems like a pretty good disciplinarian, which Flip was not.

Curry has a young team and an old team at the same time. He has the duel challenge of having to discipline AND instill confidence in the youth. After thinking about it, this may be where he is struggling.

Of course, there is also a 3rd aspect, which is play calling/ rotations/ and all the other stuff that some coaches are better at than others. MC isn't really lighting it up in this area either.

7. LoyVaught

LoyVaught Second Round Draft Pick

I agree!! bring on laimbeer!

8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Pfft, I would coach for free.

9. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

LOL, what makes anyone think that Laimbeer is going to come here? He's content. And a part of me think Joe is scared of Bill, ha.

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Oh my goodness, I don't believe you guys.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would have an open audition reality show and only invite Laimbeer (the real Laimbeer) and Lee. Set up a series of coaching challenges. Give them each a rag tag bunch of middle schoolers to work with and see who can make the most of the situation.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Lee would be more eloquent. :lecturer: Laimbeer would be more scary. :gaah:

13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Could Bill still work for the Shocks and the still coach the Pistons? Seems like a lot of work.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The lower of the show would [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] get to coach the Shock.

15. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, I think Curry overrated how much Amir and Max would or could really contribute at this point. Also, he does not seem to have the ability or desire to explain to the press (and, therefore, the fans) the reasons behind some of his coaching decisions, including player rotations and substitutions in particular games. Part of being a successful coach in the NBA is being able to communicate effectively to your fan base what you are doing and why you are doing it. It helps to be a kind of salesman for your own coaching decisions or philosophy. LB was very good at that; Flip was mediocre, and Curry (the jury's still out, but...).

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are reduced to garbage men under this guard oriented attack and they have been grabbing an abnormally high % of offensive rebounds. They score off of gimmes, hence their > .550 shooting. They also seem to try the hardest on help defense.

How else can these guys contribute?

17. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

I can't believe that people thought that Amir would ever get as good as Josh Smith is now. This (and Artest to a smaller extent) was the trade that I was seriously pushing for in the offseason.

Joe fell for the fatal GM move; severely overrating his own players.

18. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I agree. Our bigs on offense are either garbage men or jump shooters.

My perception (disclaimer) so far is that our post game this year is even weaker than in recent previous years under Flip or LB. Aside from starting the Wizards game off with a few plays, when have they called post ups for Sheed?

Kwame and Max are our only other bigs that have reasonable post games, but they don't seem to get the ball down there.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuck and Max/Amir should be decent in the P&R. Especially if Dyess can spread the D out to guard his potential J. Should be the go-to play off the bench. Bynum too.